Senator Upset At Clinic's Offer Of Free Marijuana For Voter Registration

Wake up and smell the coffee....

Codifying the ban on voter bribery, the United States Congress has prohibited the conspiracy to encourage illegal voting and stated that anyone who "pays or offers to pay or accepts payment either for registration to vote or for voting shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both."

In regard to voter registration that's a horrible law. They need to ban campaign contributions altogether if that is their stance.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Happy Guy

In regard to voter registration that's a horrible law. They need to ban campaign contributions altogether if that is their stance.

That is beside the point that giving away cannabis for registration is illegal. It looks bad and is terrible press. It puts patients in danger. It puts the movement in danger. Reality is tough sometimes. Use your moral compass like Brian mentioned, we know when things are not right. This doesn't pass any kind of moral test. It was a ploy to make money. A hair brained scheme that was bound to backfire from it's inception. Why didn't anyone give her a hint?

That is beside the point that giving away cannabis for registration is illegal. It looks bad and is terrible press. It puts patients in danger. It puts the movement in danger. Reality is tough sometimes. Use your moral compass like Brian mentioned, we know when things are not right. This doesn't pass any kind of moral test. It was a ploy to make money. A hair brained scheme that was bound to backfire from it's inception. Why didn't anyone give her a hint?

I'm not so sure it is illegal. It looks like that law you referenced is for federal elections only.

At the federal level, 42 U.S.C. § 1973(i)© applies to any "General, special or primary elections held solely or in part for the purpose of selecting or electing any candidate for the office of President, Vice President, presidential elector, Member of the United States Senate, Member of the United States House of Representatives, Delegate from the District of Columbia, Guam, or the Virgin Islands, or Resident Commissioner of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico." An election in which any of these candidates serves on the ballot is subject to the definition of illegal inducement at 42 U.S.C. 1973(i)© and punishment by the Federal Election Commission.

Morally I cannot find fault with giving a gift to register to vote. Once they are registered they can vote for whoever they like. I don't understand what you mean by a ploy to make money. They were giving away a sample not selling it. It could be a ploy to get people in the door but I don't have a problem with that.

Guest Happy Guy

Oh man, now it went national.... Thanks again.... They have the pictures of the signs telling them who to vote for too. Specific candidates that would further the dispensary interests. This looks like organized crime to anyone paying attention.

If that was voter bribery were would it end? Am I breaking the law if I offer a ride to a disabled person to the voting location? After all I just gave them something of value to vote right? What would the value of the ride be if it were in a taxi? And maybe the little old lady who gave me the "I Voted" sticker should be prosecuted as well. What's the value of that sticker? I'm sure the printer didn't make it for free. When I was in high school there was a voter registration drive and they had a plate of cookies there for those who registered, were we all breaking the law then? Or did this dispensary break the law because you agree with AG Schuette that medical marijuana is illegal? Take out the marijuana and you have someone providing free medicine, that's what the law tells us.

There is a difference between bribing someone to vote the way you want them to and encouraging them to actually get out and vote. Now if during the registration they were attempting to influence the way these people would vote when the time comes that would be different.

Well I for one would Not want my name & address on a form/petition delivered to the City/County Offices by a Dispensary . Ya Don't think Shuette & Co. would have Access to those Public Records do ya ???

Might it make their Job Much Easier in knowing a Physical Address of those getting Free Med's for registering to Vote all given Freely by Said Registered MM Patients as Public Record for Anyone's use ,,,

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43928025/ns/us_news-life/

A medical marijuana shop's offer of free pot in exchange for registering to vote appears to have gone up in smoke.

Your Healthy Choice Clinic of Lansing, Mich., had been offering a half gram on its website ahead of a vote for city council seats and after the council approved capping the number of medical marijuana dispensaries within city limits and setting a $1,000 application fee.

Clinic owner Shekina Pena earlier said she wasn't trying to buy votes.

"We really got to fight to get the voters out there because the polls are showing there's 4-5,000 people in Lansing that are patients or caregivers," she told NBC affiliate WILX TV. "So we need those 4-5,000 people to come forth to the polls and vote for whomever they feel is in support of what they want for access."

"We let them know how we feel, we don't tell them who to vote for," she added. "We definitely want to support the ones (city council members) who are supporting us."

On Wednesday, the state's attorney general, at the prodding of a state senator, said he was looking into whether the clinic crossed a legal line.

Lansing City Clerk Chris Swope said if the clinic tied the offer to voting for or against a particular person then it would definitely have crossed the legal line.

Pena insisted that wasn't the case, but Swope still had concerns that a line might have been crossed, noting that a website tagline — "Vote for us and we'll vote for you." — suggested a close tie to candidates.

A clinic employee contacted by msnbc.com on Thursday had "no comment" on whether the website offer still stood, and Pena had not yet returned a call seeking clarification.

I agree with MightyMightyMezz on the small potatoes thing and think if they had candidates that they said were good it was a bad idea but if they had a list of all candidates with their responses to a letter that asked opinion on mmj and dispensaries that that would be perfectly fine.

I think this is hardly news worthy and if it were a school offering a free pen to register and had the same info that noone would hear about it and they'd get a call from a prosecutor informing them how to legally set up a registration drive.

WLP

Guest Happy Guy

I agree with MightyMightyMezz on the small potatoes thing and think if they had candidates that they said were good it was a bad idea but if they had a list of all candidates with their responses to a letter that asked opinion on mmj and dispensaries that that would be perfectly fine.

I think this is hardly news worthy and if it were a school offering a free pen to register and had the same info that noone would hear about it and they'd get a call from a prosecutor informing them how to legally set up a registration drive.

WLP

Doesn't matter if you agree about an imaginary scenario. The reality is that it made the national news. She coached the patients being registered. They have pictures of the signs telling them how to vote. Saying this was ok just makes us look worse. Separate yourself and let everyone know this was just one misguided dispensary owner. It's an isolated incedent by one misguided individual who now understands what she did was wrong. That's how you spin this puppy, with the truth....

On how this is voter bribery, there are companies with tens of thousands of employees that tell the employees, Vote republican or you won't have a job. How is that not illegal but this is? The Koch brothers are guilty of it, I believe walmart hands out packets to employees, and, now that the supreme court has ruled that corporations are people too, with superPACs they can and say anything they want, including slander, complete lies, anything they want, and spend as much as they want to hire (elect) whoever, and the opposing candidate has no recourse at all.

It's how swiftboating got its name, they did it to Kerry. Just lie lie lie, and then, oh, you can't sue the company for it...You can make them stop, but you can't sue them for it. So there is no penalty to the company, and by the time you get a judge to order them to stop, they have already done the damage.

SuperPacs are disgusting, all of US politics has become disgusting. If you are anti-republican, they will throw you in jail or fine the crap out of you. Or pass laws to prevent you from doing anything against them.

MICHIGAN ELECTION LAW (EXCERPT)

Act 116 of 1954

168.931 Prohibited conduct; violation as misdemeanor; “valuable consideration” defined.

Sec. 931.

(1) A person who violates 1 or more of the following subdivisions is guilty of a misdemeanor:

(a) A person shall not, either directly or indirectly, give, lend, or promise valuable consideration, to or for any person, as an inducement to influence the manner of voting by a person relative to a candidate or ballot question, or as a reward for refraining from voting.

(b) A person shall not, either before, on, or after an election, for the person's own benefit or on behalf of any other person, receive, agree, or contract for valuable consideration for 1 or more of the following:

(i) Voting or agreeing to vote, or inducing or attempting to induce another to vote, at an election.

(ii) Refraining or agreeing to refrain, or inducing or attempting to induce another to refrain, from voting at an election.

(iii) Doing anything prohibited by this act.

(iv) Both distributing absent voter ballot applications to voters and receiving signed applications from voters for delivery to the appropriate clerk or assistant of the clerk. This subparagraph does not apply to an authorized election official.

© A person shall not solicit any valuable consideration from a candidate for nomination for, or election to, an office described in this act. This subdivision does not apply to requests for contributions of money by or to an authorized representative of the political party committee of the organization to which the candidate belongs. This subdivision does not apply to a regular business transaction between a candidate and any other person that is not intended for, or connected with, the securing of votes or the influencing of voters in connection with the nomination or election.

(d) A person shall not, either directly or indirectly, discharge or threaten to discharge an employee of the person for the purpose of influencing the employee's vote at an election.

(e) A priest, pastor, curate, or other officer of a religious society shall not for the purpose of influencing a voter at an election, impose or threaten to impose upon the voter a penalty of excommunication, dismissal, or expulsion, or command or advise the voter, under pain of religious disapproval.

(f) A person shall not hire a motor vehicle or other conveyance or cause the same to be done, for conveying voters, other than voters physically unable to walk, to an election.

(g) In a city, township, village, or school district that has a board of election commissioners authorized to appoint inspectors of election, an inspector of election, a clerk, or other election official who accepts an appointment as an inspector of election shall not fail to report at the polling place designated on election morning at the time specified by the board of election commissioners, unless excused as provided in this subdivision. A person who violates this subdivision is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not more than $10.00 or imprisonment for not more than 10 days, or both. An inspector of election, clerk, or other election official who accepts an appointment as an inspector of election is excused for failing to report at the polling place on election day and is not subject to a fine or imprisonment under this subdivision if 1 or more of the following requirements are met:

(i) The inspector of election, clerk, or other election official notifies the board of election commissioners or other officers in charge of elections of his or her inability to serve at the time and place specified, 3 days or more before the election.

(ii) The inspector of election, clerk, or other election official is excused from duty by the board of election commissioners or other officers in charge of elections for cause shown.

(h) A person shall not willfully fail to perform a duty imposed upon that person by this act, or disobey a lawful instruction or order of the secretary of state as chief state election officer or of a board of county election commissioners, board of city election commissioners, or board of inspectors of election.

(i) A delegate or member of a convention shall not solicit a candidate for nomination before the convention for money, reward, position, place, preferment, or other valuable consideration in return for support by the delegate or member in the convention. A candidate or other person shall not promise or give to a delegate money, reward, position, place, preferment, or other valuable consideration in return for support by or vote of the delegate in the convention.

(j) A person elected to the office of delegate to a convention shall not accept or receive any money or other valuable consideration for his or her vote as a delegate.

(k) A person shall not, while the polls are open on an election day, solicit votes in a polling place or within 100 feet from an entrance to the building in which a polling place is located.

(l) A person shall not keep a room or building for the purpose, in whole or in part, of recording or registering bets or wagers, or of selling pools upon the result of a political nomination, appointment, or election. A person shall not wager property, money, or thing of value, or be the custodian of money, property, or thing of value, staked, wagered, or pledged upon the result of a political nomination, appointment, or election.

(m) A person shall not participate in a meeting or a portion of a meeting of more than 2 persons, other than the person's immediate family, at which an absent voter ballot is voted.

(n) A person, other than an authorized election official, shall not, either directly or indirectly, give, lend, or promise any valuable consideration to or for a person to induce that person to both distribute absent voter ballot applications to voters and receive signed absent voter ballot applications from voters for delivery to the appropriate clerk.

(2) A person who violates a provision of this act for which a penalty is not otherwise specifically provided in this act, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(3) A person or a person's agent who knowingly makes, publishes, disseminates, circulates, or places before the public, or knowingly causes directly or indirectly to be made, published, disseminated, circulated, or placed before the public, in this state, either orally or in writing, an assertion, representation, or statement of fact concerning a candidate for public office at an election in this state, that is false, deceptive, scurrilous, or malicious, without the true name of the author being subscribed to the assertion, representation, or statement if written, or announced if unwritten, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(4) As used in this section, “valuable consideration” includes, but is not limited to, money, property, a gift, a prize or chance for a prize, a fee, a loan, an office, a position, an appointment, or employment.

I wish they had done the registration drive differently. The intentions may've been good but now it's being twisted up and used to hurt us all. This is just too much. Meanwhile, corporations can donate freely, influence peddle and whatever else they do, and get the blessing of the politicians. It's greed at its lowest form. Sadly, this has played right into our opponent's treacherous hands and could seriously backfire on We The People; we don't need another black eye. :mad:

Sb :(

Guest Happy Guy

Why does everyone seem to agree this was a mistake?

There was no violation of law.

What part of giving bribes to register to vote with signs showing how to vote in the election they are registering for is legal? This is not cool. If you are going to do things in public, you carry the responsibility of more than just your money making scheme. Don't defend it, explain why we shouldn't do it. Then we can move on in a more positive direction and we will not have to deal with this all over again because "someone said" it was all right. There are much smarter ways to accomplish the same thing. Don't be stupid in public. Use your head if you are going to sell cannabis in public because you are always being watched. You can help the right people register but don't stick a sign in their face about how they should vote. That was ridiculously stupid and illegal.

What part of giving bribes to register to vote with signs showing how to vote in the election they are registering for is legal? This is not cool. If you are going to do things in public, you carry the responsibility of more than just your money making scheme. Don't defend it, explain why we shouldn't do it. Then we can move on in a more positive direction and we will not have to deal with this all over again because "someone said" it was all right. There are much smarter ways to accomplish the same thing. Don't be stupid in public. Use your head if you are going to sell cannabis in public because you are always being watched. You can help the right people register but don't stick a sign in their face about how they should vote. That was ridiculously stupid and illegal.

What law was violated? I've seen lawmakers proposing such actions should be illegal. If there is already a law against it, why propose a new law to forbid such things?

I understand a law against purchasing a vote.

This was to get registered to vote. Not to purchase the vote itself.

What?

A dispensary owner did something stupid and possibly illegal in the state that reflects poorly on patients, caregivers and medical cannabis?

I refuse to believe it.

Heh.

Wake up people.

More detrimental to Michigans current medical cannabis program than almost any other source. If the law actually allowed for them, could be a different story. But it doesn't.

This person may not have intended to do harm, but unintended consequences and unforeseen(only to this idiot) damages have been done twice by this person. Thanks for the black eye on the movement.

I mean seriously, free pot to register.

:wacko:

Don't defend the idiocy of this.

Why are we so quick to hurt others . Nothing but good came out of it :-) . Whats next uproar over free rides to the polls ? I have seen parties give indirect incentives to registrar for years . Giving a direct incentive is a little over the top but it isn't buying a vote . No harm no foul and voters are now clearer on the candidates and issue . Things are usually simple regulators can't regulate until the Federal Government changes their position on Cannabis . That is scaring those employed in jobs involved in cannabis enforcement which is a out of control industry that creates economic loss . However , if HR2835 is passed then regulatory progression occurs in every State with medicinal cannabis . In Schuettes or Jones defense their stuck on hurting people by ridiculous penalties now accepted for cannabis enforcement because there is no way to figure out where or if cannabis in dispensaries is from qualified patients ( the model in Mt Pleasant a exception ) .Keeping records would be the same as recording incriminating evidence on participants under Federal Law . Thats why they should support HR 2835 themselves . Then we can have a dispensories of qualified cardholders that are attached to reasonable supply under law with only so many outlets as determined by a free market .

What confuses me is how people argue and its lost this law is suppose to protect patients not make them pawns in court or public opinion to create parameters of law . A good Attorney General should interpret a working model from the act as inteneded that doesn't need the black market and the Michigan Medical Marajuana Association has proposed a Farmers Market Model made up of Qualfiied participants only and supply from their grows within legal plant counts . That is verifyable on the spot thus records are not needed . What better solution is there under the current political and legal environment ?

This community is the only family and friends I have. Some of you have come through for me in ways I can't say thank you enough for.

Now, on the subject of HONEST MISTAKES, it happens to the best of us. It's the DIShonest mistakes that our so called reps are making that are hurting us ALL, not just the MM community. Sad, greedy, insecure, abusive beings.

Sincerely, Sb :wub::bighug:

Archived