Senator Upset At Clinic's Offer Of Free Marijuana For Voter Registration

This is political activity in public.

Political activity is public is not a mistake. It is a responsibility.

As long as there was no laws broken.

Maybe this wasn't perfect but I wish instead of just saying it is over the owner could turn it into something positive by making the same offer one time for lets say 8 hours of community service . And your right no law appears to be broken it is the opposition that has prevented us from assembling through fear and intimidation at work . If they don't like or agree with something they want others injured by law . Truly sad . I found this it isnt the first time people gave something away to people registering .

"During the past several weeks, organizations from around the City of Tallahassee have resorted to finding creative and enticing ways to encourage young people to register to vote and become involved in the political process affecting their lives, but in the end it seems like people always want more. I was particularly bothered today by one young voter who asked me “what do I get if I do this?” Honestly my instincts were for me to grab my clipboard and bang it upside his head a few times, but I took into consideration the many personal injury suits I processed as a paralegal and refrained from striking him.

To make matters worse the young man said this in front of a crowd of students who all paused from completing their registration to hear my response, so I decided I had no choice but to keep it real. I told that young man to close his eyes and travel back with me just fifty years ago, back to the segregated nation of the 1960’s. I told him imagine the people being lynched, killed, and beaten for daring to step foot at a polling site. I told him to imagine having fire hoses burning your skin and having dogs turned loose on you for simply wanting to express your opinions and choosing your political leaders. I told him to imagine standing in lines where racist people administered impossible exams designed for you to fail and so that you were so embarrassed that you would be afraid to come back. I told him now come forward a few years and imagine woman having to protest about being more than a man’s play toy, and wanting the right to be equal. Then I told him that the sad part was that none of those people in all that they did asked for a reward, they just wanted a right to vote… So what made you think you even qualified for one?

Let’s just say I got everybody’s registration and a word of thanks. Its 2010 and no one should have to beg you to register to vote. Quit the excuses and just register to Vote! Then go out and actually vote" Adner Marcelin

http://99problems.or...tering-to-vote/

I wonder what Senetor Jones thinks of this and read the comments .

http://dailypaul.com...rence-strawpoll

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Happy Guy

This is political activity in public.

Political activity is public is not a mistake. It is a responsibility.

As long as there was no laws broken.

I guess you have to draw a picture AND color it.

Here's the deal;

Local television news stations and www.michiganmessenger.com reported Wednesday that Your Healthy Choice Clinic was giving away a free half-gram of cannabis or one cannabis-infused baked good, or medibles, for people who came in and registered to vote for the upcoming Lansing City Council election. Signs at the business also said vote yes for Derrick Quinney, A’Lynne Robinson and Harold Leeman and vote no for Carol Wood and Jody Washington. As of this afternoon, all mention of the registration drive had been removed from Your Healthy Choice’s website. Shekina Pena, owner of Your Healthy Choice, could not be reached for comment.

http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/lansing/article-6145-pot-for-votes.html

This part right here; Signs at the business also said vote yes for Derrick Quinney, A’Lynne Robinson and Harold Leeman and vote no for Carol Wood and Jody Washington

That is what you don't want to do. If you see anyone doing it, tap them on the shoulder and tell them to stop that because it is bad public relations at best, illegal at worst. It is that simple. We need to police ourselves to win this. P R is how you do it. This was a check in the negative column for P R.

You may want to vote for these people but you have to do it right to win. You can't give valuable incentives AND show favortism while you are doing it.

How much would anyone bet that if it were repubs doing it, they'd somehow be allowed to, AND justify it to THEIR advantage?

I'm not saying dems are perfect, or any other party, all I'm saying is, what's good for one side should be good for the other. All laws should apply to EVERYONE. They get around laws all the time, and that's ok but if someone else does the same thing, it's a horrible crime. Take for example, when they sneak riders in on bills. There was a lot of complaining from them when the opposition did it. I think neither side should be allowed to SNEAK ANYTHING IN. See how they operate? Oh I hate what this world has become. :(

This is an unfortunate situation; I'm sad to see good intentions backfire because of how it was set up. I know all too well about good intentions backfiring. Someone should've spoken with her; maybe they did but she didn't listen, believing with all her heart she was doing nothing wrong? That's prob'ly what happened.

Anything that draws the wrath of these already vengeful politicians is a serious blow for us. 'sigh'. :( All my life, from a very early age, I learned that one or a few may do wrong, but the MAJORITY ALWAYS GETS PUNISHED FOR THEIR MISTAKES. I'm so upset I don't know what else to say that hasn't been said already.

Sb

Wake up and smell the coffee....

Codifying the ban on voter bribery, the United States Congress has prohibited the conspiracy to encourage illegal voting and stated that anyone who "pays or offers to pay or accepts payment either for registration to vote or for voting shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both."

I think your taking this out of context and it refers to actually buying votes which this person was not trying to do though they were expressing their own veiws and encouraging others to vote hoping they would agree nothing more , nothing less . Giving away Cannabis sadly has backfired on our movement constantly usually it is used to try to win customers with equal uproar . You could give a free gram for 4 hours community service or a 3.2 gpa or higher on a college report card if a qualified patient over 21 and it would be the same . I just wish people realized there are patients that fit in those catagories . It is wrong to deny them chances for employment education and a legal avenue to aquire starter materials and emergency medicine when health causes immeadiate need or fails . This is what I care about and affordabillity because so many patients can no longer work and need money for inflating food housing and energy costs .

BTW your right the State statuate seems to be violated if you consider half a gram of cannabis valueable so lets hope they just drop it . Jones making a special law just shows how out there he is and I know I am getting when I hear his name involved in legislation that hurts patients . We have nowhere to sociialize on our medication that requires frequent dosing .

If you look under E just about every Church in the State has been in violation of it on the pro choice ammendments that come up from time to time making it clear you will go to hell .

Guest Happy Guy

The law against bribing for votes(and registration) was actually written to help poor people. The poor and disadvantaged are the only ones in the position to be taken advantage of by a bribe.

Would you want the homeless and hungry hurded by the republicans or tea baggers with the offer of a sandwich? Maybe hurded to the polls, sandwich in hand, to vote against medical marijuana?

No bribes and coaching. It's a good law for poor people so they are not taken advantage of and their votes stolen.

Archived