Do Some Caregivers Offer Free Meds?

QueenToi

Hello I am a new cardholder, and i was wondering if some caregivers give free meds to their patients. Because I would if I was a caregiver give away the meds instead of selling them to people to who need them. Besides I can get marijuana much cheaper on the street than what some dispenseries charge. Just want to know, because if I can't find it cheap enough or free from a caregiver i will just have to grow it myself.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this is the problem with the caregiver patient relationship most assume that they should get their medicine for free think about it I'm an established grower it cost me close to 3 thousand dollars to get my room where its at now and my power bills over $300 a month.

So just because you allow someone to grow for you doesn't mean its for free some caregivers with their full 5 patients slots filled have the extra leftover to afford to give it away or you can connect with the caregivers who sell their overages to the compassion clubs and through farmers markets to be able to have compassion and provide you your medicine for free but theres guys like me who just grow for myself who cannot afford to give away anything for free instead i choose to grow only elite genetics best of the best and offer a rock bottom low price per ounce.

Don't get me wrong here i do on occasion offer free medicine to low income people but now everybody feels like they are entitled to free medicine and i think it just makes things difficult for new caregivers like me to get up and running if I'm footing the entire bill for someone who has a higher income than me.

Hello I am a new cardholder, and i was wondering if some caregivers give free meds to their patients. Because I would if I was a caregiver give away the meds instead of selling them to people to who need them. Besides I can get marijuana much cheaper on the street than what some dispenseries charge. Just want to know, because if I can't find it cheap enough or free from a caregiver i will just have to grow it myself.

Caregiver charges should be cheaper than the dispensary. If they are not, then something is wrong. Have you ever grown yourself? I think you may change your feelings on "I would give it away" once you actually start growing. I am personally in for over $2,500 and I have just got started. I will not even be able to recoup any costs (growing by the day) for at least 4 months and the expenses will be growing in that time. Some caregivers "may" give some bonuses here and there, as I hope to do. But you don't see farmers giving away pigs, cucumbers, and corn do you?

I would advise against approaching a prospective caregiver with your hand out saying gimme, gimme, gimme. Try to find one reasonably priced and build the relationship. Good things come with time, not demands. I wish you well in your journey! :rock:

Both of these guys are correct and I do agree with them. It is almost comical when people think they should get it for free LOL. I have been a patient for over 1 year and never did I think it should be FREE. I paid dispensary prices and still do sometimes, even though I have been growing some plants for myself and it is not cheap either. Equipment cost alot, time, knowledge, and electric bill increases can be GREAT. Just find a caregiver that will offer you lower prices and I am sure you will get plenty free if you find the right one ;)

Yes, I think the knowledge is the most valuable aspect. Anyone can grow it.. but it'll take you 2 or 3 years to catch up to the yields and quality those of us who have done it for some time can get. (and that is if you are lucky, may not even ever get it) Heck, I am a little worried as it's been a while for me.. Hopefully, it's just like riding a bike.. lol

And as Tooldini said, find the right one and things will be good. In my opinion, a caregiver should be someone who you could actually be friends with, at least, if I were a patient, that is what I would be looking for.

I have $850.00 into my grow room total, into my second year and produce enough for me and another Patient at cost. We split electric bill. I never grew before my first garden in late 09.

If you can get to a Farmers Market you'll be greeted with compassion.

The best advice I could give a first time grower is join a Compassion Club and educate yourself.

A CC offers many benefits to our community but the best thing they offer is a family social setting for liked minded people. Many Patients have found their CG at a CC and also many members are more than willing to offer growing advice and tips and some have even loaned and bought equipment for low income Patients.

Educate yourself right here with the grow forums and tutorials. If there is a question you have about cultivation and can't find it our cultivation experts are more than willing to help.

Bubblegrower, has a grow forum that rivals a library and can answer questions covering every known way to garden, and if he can't some one else will.

If you have the space and can afford the increase in your electric bill (depending on lights used for in-doors and other multiple variables) don't be afraid to learn to grow.

Its a great hobby if you're house bound or not especially during the winter months.

I encourage all Patients who are able to go ahead and grow.

You should grow yourself anyways,it's good for the soul:)

Some "not all" caregivers grow to sell their overages to dispensaries, and compassion clubs, or even on the street. It is the patients and their cards that allow caregivers to grow legally. (Memories of a room full of people holding duffle bags, sitting around a dispensary in California, waiting to sell their stuff.) If they harvest twelve plant's every three months, even at 2 ozs a plant, that equals 1.5 pounds every three months. So they give their patients a free oz or two every month and sell the rest to a dispensary or CC. Some of the people here think that this is wrong. The law was written to provide a Caregiver/Patient relationship. But IMHO I believe that this type of caregiver, can AFFORD to take better care of his patients. Help with other things besides free medicine. Of course there all also the ones who will give patients schwag, and sell the good stuff!

Well this is the problem with the caregiver patient relationship most assume that they should get their medicine for free think about it I'm an established grower it cost me close to 3 thousand dollars to get my room where its at now and my power bills over $300 a month.

So just because you allow someone to grow for you doesn't mean its for free some caregivers with their full 5 patients slots filled have the extra leftover to afford to give it away or you can connect with the caregivers who sell their overages to the compassion clubs and through farmers markets to be able to have compassion and provide you your medicine for free but theres guys like me who just grow for myself who cannot afford to give away anything for free instead i choose to grow only elite genetics best of the best and offer a rock bottom low price per ounce.

Don't get me wrong here i do on occasion offer free medicine to low income people but now everybody feels like they are entitled to free medicine and i think it just makes things difficult for new caregivers like me to get up and running if I'm footing the entire bill for someone who has a higher income than me.

hello...and thanks for responding, I guess I never really considered the immense costs in growing. I would be fine if I could find a caregiver to give me a certain amount for free and they could keep the rest and sell it to dispensaries or whoever, because I wouldn't need that much. I just don't want to pay more than street prices for a "legal drug". But I do understand a lil more from a growers point of view.

Caregiver charges should be cheaper than the dispensary. If they are not, then something is wrong. Have you ever grown yourself? I think you may change your feelings on "I would give it away" once you actually start growing. I am personally in for over $2,500 and I have just got started. I will not even be able to recoup any costs (growing by the day) for at least 4 months and the expenses will be growing in that time. Some caregivers "may" give some bonuses here and there, as I hope to do. But you don't see farmers giving away pigs, cucumbers, and corn do you?

I would advise against approaching a prospective caregiver with your hand out saying gimme, gimme, gimme. Try to find one reasonably priced and build the relationship. Good things come with time, not demands. I wish you well in your journey! :rock:

Thanks for the advice. I always thought that caregivers would grow more than enough to satisfy thier patients and that they could make money off of what they have left.

Thanks for the advice. I always thought that caregivers would grow more than enough to satisfy thier patients and that they could make money off of what they have left.

From what I have seen in Detroit the demand far outweighs the supply. There is never enough, some patients have to visit their caregivers 2-4 times a month for medicine so that the caregiver can stay in their weight limits. I am of the opinion that they need to raise our weight limits so that these problems can disappear. Still though, growing quality cannabis is costly, time-consuming, risky, and takes a great amount of skill and passion. Caregivers must be compensated.

Well, all other outlets to dispense of overage are in the gray area at the moment. Lot of CG's will not even step foot in a dispensary. While CG's have a few possible outlets, even taking advantage of those leads to risk exposure. Heck, even growing it and never leaving your house assumes a certain risk level.

Take your time, read over the site here for a while and you will see that while it may be legal, it's not a walk in the rose garden. You could start here: http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/27899-petoskeystoned420-raided-again/

And while he was 100% legal at the time and this was recently confirmed by a judge, he and his family were still assaulted by LEO. Even being legal it seems you have to look over your shoulder.

Guest Happy Guy

If you don't pay for yours then who is going to pay for the grow?

Other patients? Is it right that you get it for free so other patients have to pay your way? Are you destitute? Worse off than most of the other patients in Michigan? If yes, then maybe you should get it for free. Who decides which patients get it for free and the others pay double? If being on Social Sercurity decides you should get it for free then there will be more getting it for free than those paying! All my patients pay a little because they are all cash strapped.

Recreational market? Sure, they have lots of money. Do you think someone should do something illegal so you can get yours for free?

Watch out for the cargivers who say they will give you meds for free. They OFTEN bait and switch on you. A lot of people are finding that out the hard way!

As you should know now nothing is free, so those people deserve what they get.

Go get all the equiptment you need and see how free it is. Took me 2 years to get my green thumb really dialed in well.

hello...and thanks for responding, I guess I never really considered the immense costs in growing. I would be fine if I could find a caregiver to give me a certain amount for free and they could keep the rest and sell it to dispensaries or whoever, because I wouldn't need that much. I just don't want to pay more than street prices for a "legal drug". But I do understand a lil more from a growers point of view.

Would you be willing to sell the overages to dispenseries or whoever, for your caregiver in exchange for free meds?

I'm an advocate for free meds to patients. I have to admit that I take offense at the implication that I'm providing my patients with schwag, or growing so that I can sell the overage in the marketplace. I'm passionate about growing, and most of the caregivers that I've met share that passion, as well as compassion for people in need of this medicine. There are always going to be exceptions, but please don't paint us all with the same brush. I am well aware of the cost of growing, and I can understand if a caregiver has to charge their patients for medicine. It's quite expensive to grow good meds, and no one should begrudge a grower who asks a fair price for their product. The important thing is to have an understanding between the pt and cg, and keep an open and honest line of communication. If either party expects too much out the arrangement, or isn't satisfied, then either party can end the relationship. The "change of caregiver" form works both ways.

They can. Under perfect circumstances. Being a CAREGIVER costs me much more than being a patient's GARDENER. (just for the record, that is also the most rewarding part.).

onguard.gif

And btw, what is wrong with selling overages in the "marketplace" ? doesn't p2p just make sense? It's like we associate it with the black market still ourselves..

Guest Happy Guy

I'm an advocate for free meds to patients. I have to admit that I take offense at the implication that I'm providing my patients with schwag, or growing so that I can sell the overage in the marketplace. I'm passionate about growing, and most of the caregivers that I've met share that passion, as well as compassion for people in need of this medicine. There are always going to be exceptions, but please don't paint us all with the same brush. I am well aware of the cost of growing, and I can understand if a caregiver has to charge their patients for medicine. It's quite expensive to grow good meds, and no one should begrudge a grower who asks a fair price for their product. The important thing is to have an understanding between the pt and cg, and keep an open and honest line of communication. If either party expects too much out the arrangement, or isn't satisfied, then either party can end the relationship. The "change of caregiver" form works both ways.

Then who pays for the grow? If all the patients get it for free who pays? You are not giving us all the details. You are talking about some kind of utopia. Some patient has to pay for it or what you are doing is illegal and not a real option.

They can. Under perfect circumstances. Being a CAREGIVER costs me much more than being a patient's GARDENER. (just for the record, that is also the most rewarding part.).

onguard.gif

And btw, what is wrong with selling overages in the "marketplace" ? doesn't p2p just make sense? It's like we associate it with the black market still ourselves..

I never said that I don't participate in p2p exchanges, or farmers markets. I am anti-dispensary though. If enough of us participate in p2p then no one should be paying too much for their meds. This situation with me providing my patients with meds is my choice. I offered it up front. In exchange for those free meds I get to have more plants in my system and more product in process. I don't have twelve plants per patient growing, but I do have enough for each of our needs, and if I'm blessed with a good harvest I p2p some of it to cover my costs. It's no utopia, that's for sure, but it works well for me. I don't want to suggest that anyone else do it this way, but I like growing. It's therapeutic for me.

I thought about looking for someone that was low income that couldnt afford enlufh meds.to last them the month or so that I would have between harvests and give them meds for free. I've been thinking about it since I made the decision to grow last Novembed when I saw the dr and he zigned my paperwork. But the yesterday I was thinking about it and I already have the pefect person, my stepdaughter. She is 19 on disability going to college so she can go to work and get off disability. Ahe will be the perfect person. Soery Queen Toi.

i have only been growing for about a year now. It is a hearty plant by and large and can be grown to some degree or another by almost anyone. to do it well, like anything,takes a lot of practice for most people. i studied for 4-5 months before i even got legal. then i kept studying, and will continue to do so. gardening can be relaxing at times. as a new grower, all of the things that later appear more as work, are the details you are reading about and getting excited with anticipation for. (heck, i still feel an awful lot of a sense anticipation regularly. but i do feel the work portion of it weighing on me after working a full time job, and actively raising 3 kids.) the sense of awe and anticipation keep me going, as do the many great people here. you'll see us all have our moments.

all that being said, i have had a goal for myself to be able to give medicine away. (i would like to give to aids patients in my town here, because they seem to be overlooked these days.) But like King and others say, it takes a while to get to that level. and it isn't a small task getting there. it is rewarding, and cool, but work nonetheless.

Then who pays for the grow? If all the patients get it for free who pays? You are not giving us all the details. You are talking about some kind of utopia. Some patient has to pay for it or what you are doing is illegal and not a real option.

I've been thinking about what you've said, and guess I just gotta ask... how could this be illegal? I'm doing everything I can think of to color inside the lines. If my giving meds to my patients is illegal, then please explain that to me.

Archived