Do Some Caregivers Offer Free Meds?

QueenToi

I would love to just be able to grow and accept donations from dispensories and help patients for low cost or free. I am just worried about getting into trouble if dispense gets raided or something. No patient should expect any amount for free, but hope they get some free. I am a patient and grower soon to be caregiver for some. I will not agree to any certain amount for free, BUT they will get plenty for free once the electric and supplies are paid for monthly

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are several arguments at hand here.

First, it cost money to grow and when you need something you cannot produce yourself, you buy it. That is the way it is with everything, be it milk, gasoline or medicine of any kind.

Some people enjoy growing flowers, or building furniture, or growing marijuana. If they can afford to do so, it is up to them to determine what they do with what they produce, be it marijuana, tomatoes or end tables. Personally I like to work on community affairs and truly enjoy the practice of medicine. Some things I offer for free, others I charge for to cover my expenses and make a living for my family. I believe I charge a fair price for the safety and service I offer when it comes to certifications, and it is enough to assure I will be in business next year when you need to renew.

One argument that I don't like to hear is when a patient 'charges' a caregiver for the privilege of having the ability to grow another 12 plants- be it for money or 'free meds'. The implication is that the caregiver will be able to grow excess and sell it to a dispensary, the black market or otherwise have a 'commercial' outlet for the excess they are allowed to grow. This is like demanding I give you a free cert because I can make it up by moonlighting in an ER somewhere. Essentially this is encouraging commercial growing, and that can cause legal issues.

There are three things that everyone agrees are legal when it comes to charging for MMJ. The actual cost of space/electricity/equipment to grow the marijuana, the cost of the grower's labor, and the cost of the 'service'. The 'service' has to do with answering the phone when a patient calls, delivery, availability and other 'perks' a good grower provides for the patient. To make this simple, let's just ask ourselves if we are willing to pay an extra buck or two a gram for reliable supply, variety and good service from a caregiver.

While many in here have no problem selling 'overages' to dispensaries, other caregivers and patients, and feel it is perfectly legal, the bottom line is that there are questions being raised about this and until it is settled by the courts, it isn't settled. The same can be said of the dispensary system. While I think dispensaries provide a needed service and their function is implied in the Act, they are still dependent on local 'tolerance' and are being questioned in court elsewhere (Michigan v McQueen for one). To essentially force a caregiver to participate in the dispensary system or P2P just so you can get free meds exposes them to risk in order to cover their costs, cost which you as the consumer of their products should reasonably be expected to cover. You are asking them to take the risk so you can have a free ride.

Free meds offered by a caregiver as a service to the community, or assistance to a needy patient, is something that should be up to the caregiver. Free meds in exchange for the ability to grow more plants to sell elsewhere is not really compassion, it is a business decision that has a questionable legal basis on the part of the grower, and an unreasonable demand on the part of the patient.

Just my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

Dr. Bob

I have answered this question many times, I took on certain patients specifically to remedy this. Long story short I have 3 patients who have varying types of cancer and cant pay for anything since they are on such fixed incomes, now I also have 2 very well off patients that can afford to pick up most of the costs for the other 3. Its a very good system for everyone, I see them each 4-5 times a month, and everyone is happy with the level of privacy and service.

Guest Happy Guy

I've been thinking about what you've said, and guess I just gotta ask... how could this be illegal? I'm doing everything I can think of to color inside the lines. If my giving meds to my patients is illegal, then please explain that to me.

It would be illegal if anyone else other than patients are getting it. Logically, that means patients are paying for it... or something illegal is going on and it's not a public option. We are looking for legal options. Every legal option includes only patients getting the cannabis. Every legal option includes patients paying for it. One way or another patients pay for it. Some patients may be paying nothing. In that case some other patient is picking up the tab. You can't just say my patients are paying nothing. Some of your 'patients' must be paying something.

I feel that I have a symbiotic relationship with my patients. I know that my way of doing this doesn't necessarily work for every caregiver. There may come a day when my situation changes and I will have to inform my patients of their need to participate in the cost of growing. But I've met the nicest people, and they have need of what I produce. Their sincere gratitude is more than enough compensation right now. The little bit of overage that I have to exchange covers my cost of growing. I'm not sure that it will ever recover initial expenses, or the cost of improving my grow. I started out doing this for me, so that I could get relief from some serious pain and get off of the narcotics that I was gobbling every day. The community of people here and at my local CC demonstrate compassion by sharing their knowledge and experience. This small gesture of mine is very rewarding, and little compared to what others give of themselves.

It would be illegal if anyone else other than patients are getting it. Logically, that means patients are paying for it... or something illegal is going on and it's not a public option. We are looking for legal options. Every legal option includes only patients getting the cannabis. Every legal option includes patients paying for it. One way or another patients pay for it. Some patients may be paying nothing. In that case some other patient is picking up the tab. You can't just say my patients are paying nothing. Some of your 'patients' must be paying something.

So p2p and farmers markets are not a legal option, or a public option? I've had some experience with dispensaries. They want to buy good meds for less than eight dollars a gram. Then they sell them for fifteen to thirty dollars a gram. I know that it's the capitalist way, but I also know that there are people in need of this medicine who just can't afford dispensary prices. So I take mine to the local farmer's market, or provide to card carrying patients at a comparable rate to what I would get at the dispensary. Is that illegal? I can't deny that it's at those times I recoup my expenses.

This isn't a question of the legality of P2P or Dispensaries, nor is there a question about the FACT they carry legal risk. Legal or not, folks are getting arrested and cases are going to court. Right or wrong, there is legal risk- not a debate, simply reality. How a caregiver charges for meds is an individual choice of that caregiver. So is the amount of legal risk the caregiver wishes to assume, because it is their tail on the line. To demand a caregiver assume that risk so you can get free meds because you are 'entitled' to them is not something I would recommend is all.

There is a difference between free will and free beer.

As for the point of the spoiled medibles, I've always believed that people respect something they get for free less than something they have invested a little hard earned money in. With my kids, I like them to earn 5 or 10% of the cost of a new bike by doing chores around the house. That way they are a little more inclined to make sure it is locked up when they go to school. I think as adults we still have a little of that in us. That is one of the reasons there are co pays with health insurance.

Dr. Bob

Blueberry the only debate for me is when some demand FREE meds and totally expect it. I will have no problem giving meds for free but do not want anyone demanding or expecting it because I can make money other ways. I have said this before,, Kroger grocery store can make money selling to others so I should be able to get all the ham I want for free just because. This makes no sense to me LOL

Guest Happy Guy

So p2p and farmers markets are not a legal option, or a public option? I've had some experience with dispensaries. They want to buy good meds for less than eight dollars a gram. Then they sell them for fifteen to thirty dollars a gram. I know that it's the capitalist way, but I also know that there are people in need of this medicine who just can't afford dispensary prices. So I take mine to the local farmer's market, or provide to card carrying patients at a comparable rate to what I would get at the dispensary. Is that illegal? I can't deny that it's at those times I recoup my expenses.

P2P is legal in my opinion. Which makes farmers markets legal too. All I was saying is there is always a patient paying for the grow. I can see where a sliding scale would work in some circumstances. But to come on this website and say that you should get it for free, only because you think your plant rights earn you some sort of income, is outrageous.

P2P is legal in my opinion. Which makes farmers markets legal too. All I was saying is there is always a patient paying for the grow. I can see where a sliding scale would work in some circumstances. But to come on this website and say that you should get it for free, only because you think your plant rights earn you some sort of income, is outrageous.

I agree with you entirely, Happy Guy. Knowing first hand what's involved in growing, I would reject anyone who "expected" to get their meds in exchange for growing their twelve plants.

It's great an all that most of us consider P2P/Farmers Markets legal. But until LEO agrees 100% with it, I am not going to enter into an agreement where that is my only way to recoup costs. Also, I work a 50 hour a week job, and have a sick loved one that requires much of my time. Since there are no markets around me, I can't go drive 2+ hours each way, sit for 4 hours hoping someone buys my meds, and hope to sell enough of it to cover cost. It just isn't possible for me.

However, I do know none of my PT's complain about my meds or charges for service. I don't try to make a living off of them, and if something happens where I only have enough for them, they get it first, yet I still have costs. If they got it free, no one would cover my costs but me.

Now, as a grower, and a decent one at that IMO, I think I should make more than just enough to cover my costs and a little labor. To do that I will engage in a few P2P transfers of overages. This helps keep the cost low to my PT's, but won't eliminate it. Now, like one of the toads said, once my costs are covered, if a PT is down on their luck, I slide them some free, and my bags are always a bit over.

Also, if I were giving it away free, I wouldn't feel the inclination to ensure they are top quality, and reliable supply. But because I charge for it, I really do everything I can to make sure the product/service is top notch. Just like QT and Drbob say, if someone pays for something, they respect it a bit more, well when I sell something, I take a bit more pride in it. Free the PT can take what I give them and like it. Paid, I will do everything I can to make sure the PT likes it. Goes both ways.

i have only been growing for about a year now. It is a hearty plant by and large and can be grown to some degree or another by almost anyone. to do it well, like anything,takes a lot of practice for most people. i studied for 4-5 months before i even got legal. then i kept studying, and will continue to do so. gardening can be relaxing at times. as a new grower, all of the things that later appear more as work, are the details you are reading about and getting excited with anticipation for. (heck, i still feel an awful lot of a sense anticipation regularly. but i do feel the work portion of it weighing on me after working a full time job, and actively raising 3 kids.) the sense of awe and anticipation keep me going, as do the many great people here. you'll see us all have our moments.

all that being said, i have had a goal for myself to be able to give medicine away. (i would like to give to aids patients in my town here, as they have because they seem to be overlooked these days.) But like King and others say, it takes a while to get to that level. and it isn't a small task getting there. it is rewarding, and cool, but work nonetheless.

exactly we have been growing for almost two years now and at the place,where we can have a steady supply for ourselves,and we can share with patients,it takes time,patience and cash to get to that point.a farmers work is never done,nor do I think most ppl realize that you have to always be there,it's hard to go on va-ca you must have a generator on hand for bad weather and the care giver is doing this all for you as well and the risk they take with their home. many things to consider,and its only right the patients compensate somehow for their meds.

I've got some plants in the stretch right now, and they are thirsty! Drinking almost a gallon a day each. I sprayed for pests really early this morning so that the plants would be dry by lights on. The new light meter I picked up tells me it's almost time for a new 1k lamp, and the pH tester is telling me that all the girls should be happy. And they are today. I'm gonna cringe when I get my next electric bill cuz the AC's been running constantly. I just glanced at the jugs of nutes, and I better plan on stopping at the grow store soon and picking up some more. Better get some Hygrowzyme and KoolBloom also, and I'll be needing net pots again soon, and a few more air stones... I know what's involved. Endless hours and endless dollars. I'll stand nose nose in support of any good cg asking a reasonable price for their product and their hard work. I choose to do it differently, and I provide my patients with the best that I have to offer. This thread started with a question about caregivers providing free meds. Along the way someone suggested that caregivers who give their meds away are providing low quality product. Although I'm sure that it's happening out there, I don't agree with that statement. There should be room for all of us, without facing unfounded accusations.

Anytime we paint each other with broad strokes, we are doing the governments work for them. If I were a troll, I would post something to invoke the price war or the caregiver war everyday. Why is it you folks need to justify getting paid for your work? Everyone deserves to be paid. This is free enterprise and you can set your own prices and even choose what model you participate in. What I will say is all the various models are necessary. What if some caregivers didn't give meds away? Who would pic up the patients that get $550 SSI checks. After they pay their bills, they're lucky to have any money left. No one could handle these patients. They would fall through the cracks. On the other hand caregivers that insist on paying patients take care of people and earn little in exchange. To imply Farmers Markets are illegal is the same as saying that all transfers are illegal. The law is what the law is. Volunteering to surrender parts of it, just because it suits your business model, is a terrible statement to make to the world. Especially when two sentences later you say that you do P2P. Good lord folks, I've seen this same subject rehashed 100 times in the last year. It never ends well. But keep responding to every troll, if that's what you want to do. Could be LEO. Could be a dispensary owner from Colorado. Could be a reporter. Could be a patient. Learn to take each others back. Not to justify to the world, That your way is the only way to do it. Thanks, BB

Perhaps a subforum called the free med debate could be created, disabled from the active list, and then mods could move these types of post in there?

Nicely said BB and I agree and plan on helping everyone I can once I am ready to grow bigger plants :)

Brother, No one should expect free meds. I love all of you folks, so please understand. It cost a lot of money, time and hard work to produce meds. Our caregivers are a compassionate bunch. They express it in many different ways. If you were to give away your crops, you would be paying for it. Someone always pays. Anytime the exchange is made by people in the registry system, registered caregivers and patients, it is legal, as long as it is to relieve a qualifying condition. That was/is the intent of the voters as expressed in the plain language of the initiative. We must always defend that position, because the patients welfare is at stake. There is many a slip, between a cup and a lip. Crops fail, are stolen..... So there must always be an alternate delivery method. There must also be a safety net for the poor. Most caregivers barely scrape by or even lose money. It is the love of people and the plant that keeps us in the game. We ask that you support the caregivers. They are the providers of our medicine. In the current environment they are taking risk to do so. It is always important that you take care of one another. Many look at our community and see revenue streams, their need to quench their thirst for power or even worse. Together, we can't be defeated. Regardless of what others might do. You will always have each other. Never let the heat of the moment or minor disagreement interfere with that. On this earth and in this life you will not encounter this kind of love frequently. Thanks, BB

I posted his for a different PT asking ths same question, so here it is againe..

When a PT ask " how much do I get free for my 12 plants " I back out. Most PTs get more free than they would ask for like 32 Gm zips or new plant, medaballs, candies ,hash samples and such. Besides I don't grow 12 plants per PT. Sorry I did have a PT that received a lot free meds as she was dieing an had no funds to donate. Face it it's not the 60 - 70s where ya just used seeds , tap/rain water with Mearical grow with bloom builder with a stolen street light and a 5 day dry/cure It cost to do it right. I'm still learning how to get more an better crop at less cost but my PTs have stuck with me and reap the bennies as things get better... There are no free lunches, but desert might be.

I really hope you find a fair CG that can work with you tho...... Pops

Brother, No one should expect free meds. I love all of you folks, so please understand. It cost a lot of money, time and hard work to produce meds. Our caregivers are a compassionate bunch. They express it in many different ways. If you were to give away your crops, you would be paying for it. Someone always pays. Anytime the exchange is made by people in the registry system, registered caregivers and patients, it is legal, as long as it is to relieve a qualifying condition. That was/is the intent of the voters as expressed in the plain language of the initiative. We must always defend that position, because the patients welfare is at stake. There is many a slip, between a cup and a lip. Crops fail, are stolen..... So there must always be an alternate delivery method. There must also be a safety net for the poor. Most caregivers barely scrape by or even lose money. It is the love of people and the plant that keeps us in the game. We ask that you support the caregivers. They are the providers of our medicine. In the current environment they are taking risk to do so. It is always important that you take care of one another. Many look at our community and see revenue streams, their need to quench their thirst for power or even worse. Together, we can't be defeated. Regardless of what others might do. You will always have each other. Never let the heat of the moment or minor disagreement interfere with that. On this earth and in this life you will not encounter this kind of love frequently. Thanks, BB

:goodjob:

I have $850.00 into my grow room total, into my second year and produce enough for me and another Patient at cost. We split electric bill. I never grew before my first garden in late 09.

If you can get to a Farmers Market you'll be greeted with compassion.

The best advice I could give a first time grower is join a Compassion Club and educate yourself.

A CC offers many benefits to our community but the best thing they offer is a family social setting for liked minded people. Many Patients have found their CG at a CC and also many members are more than willing to offer growing advice and tips and some have even loaned and bought equipment for low income Patients.

Educate yourself right here with the grow forums and tutorials. If there is a question you have about cultivation and can't find it our cultivation experts are more than willing to help.

Bubblegrower, has a grow forum that rivals a library and can answer questions covering every known way to garden, and if he can't some one else will.

If you have the space and can afford the increase in your electric bill (depending on lights used for in-doors and other multiple variables) don't be afraid to learn to grow.

Its a great hobby if you're house bound or not especially during the winter months.

I encourage all Patients who are able to go ahead and grow.

Great Advise e.g!

I to say if you can do it grow yourself! I have a good c.g,,he is my friend,,we do not have a price on the meds i get,,in fact our deal is a plant a crop (every 3 to 5 wks) I bought in,,meaning we made an arrangement where i purchased the seeds when I assigned c.g,,he came bye quite often to see if i needed any meds while i waited for my first plant,,i get my plants now on a reg basis,,I am a good pt and friend to my c.g,,when ever I can donate I do! lately things have been a lil better financialy so i help out when i can, I am an old grower I know how much it cost to grow,,I also know how much can be made (underground) and above ground,,my c.g's electric bill is thru the roof,,his nutes cost a fortune,,every day something seems to need to be replaced,,his marriage is falling apart,,,becuase he made all these free deals to pt's!!

Its true! i get free meds,,but is it realy free? how can i sit and listen to my c.g/friend tell me about all the expenses (i already knew the cost) and not want to help him? he has been nothing but good to me,,I would gladly renew our agreement to help him be able to keep growing for me. Im pretty sure with my donations im getting top quality meds at bargain prices, I want my c.g to succede! I dont want to grow it any longer. I want to sit back and enjoy for a change,,Im hoping my c.g can keep doing what he does so well,,but i can only afford to donate for myself not his other pt's,,wish i could,,,I have no problem sharing with other pt's when ever the need arises!

You need to be a friend to your c.g,,if you have the right one they are treating you like they are your best friend,,they come by and offer to take you to store or just get out of the house with them,, a c.g will try and stop by and visit when time allows,,,also my c.g has a pt or 2 help him at crop time, and they get plenty of freebies on that day!

nothing in life is free! I have an agreement with my c.g where im not supposed to be paying anything any longer,,,I can not in good consious take anything for free from him at this time until he can get himself caught up, and where he needs to be finanacialy,,(he quit a good job to do this) and I realy want him to succede, even if i have to start paying him!

Peace

Jim

Guest Happy Guy

Where my comments come from...

This gets under my skin...

I talked with an old acquaintance a few weeks ago. He was happy to inform me that he was 'going medical'. He said that he could do it and not see the doctor at all. All he had to do was sign some papers and then he would start getting 'free weed'. I asked him why he thought he should get his meds for free. He said because the growers can sell all that is left and can really cash in. I told him what he was involved in was NOT medical cannabis. I told him he was fooled into becoming involved in a criminal activity where he is the cover for an illegal grow.

Know what is legal and what is illegal.

If a stranger tells you that you can have all your meds for free if you sign up with them then you are not dealing with real medical cannabis. You are dealing with someone who just wants cover and never really plans on making things good for you, the patient.

Bottom line; If you don't have to see a doctor and/or they promise your meds for free RUN!!! Don't sign anything and look for REAL medical cannabis.

The certification mills are now offering FREE WEED. One even offers a $300 incentive and FREE WEED just to sign. We can't even fault law enforcement for cracking down on these mills. So expect to see it. It will be extremely ugly when these free weed certification mills go down. Innocent patients with their heads in the clouds will be involved. That's why we needed to say the things we did in this thread so that patients understand that they do have to pay something or they might be involved in something they will highly regret in the future. It can't be ignored and shuffled under the rug. We have to police ourselves to help limit the casualties.

Guest Happy Guy

I dont see LEO cracking down on mills.

I see LEO cracking down on sick patients.

We here in the United states of America prefer to treat the symptom rather than the problem.

Then you don't see..

There have been two in Saginaw County that went down in the recent past. It just so happens that Roger Kahn® is in the same county. It gives him leverage (fodder) against good doctors like Dr. Bob.

If a sick patient gets sucked in then LEO is cracking down on sick patients because they were ignorant. Just being investigated feels like you are being 'cracked down' on. It's our job to educate sick patients so they don't go to the wrong places to get certifications and caregivers. Not seeing a doctor or free weed is a red flag.

bow.gif Well said. We are a compassionate group, more so than I have ever seen in my life, nor to this extent. Caregivers are at great risk, much more so than the patient. Most patients have never seen a grow room, and don't realize the many different facets that are involved, or the expense. It's so much more than light and nutes. Just follow Barb and I for a few days, you will see. (you may have to follow behind LEO though, they ride pretty close.. wink.gif)

When a fancy restaurant here in Petoskey donates their leftovers from lunch, or donates pizza at a baseball game, they are being compassionate. The follks that paid the full price for pizza, or that great Waldorf Salad, have paid for the donation. When a caregiver "donates" free meds, we also "pay" for the donation. Someone has to pay..

Hopefully someday we can grow outside, get the rates and the risk down, and all smoke for cheap. stuff.gif

I've got some plants in the stretch right now, and they are thirsty! Drinking almost a gallon a day each. I sprayed for pests really early this morning so that the plants would be dry by lights on. The new light meter I picked up tells me it's almost time for a new 1k lamp, and the pH tester is telling me that all the girls should be happy. And they are today. I'm gonna cringe when I get my next electric bill cuz the AC's been running constantly. I just glanced at the jugs of nutes, and I better plan on stopping at the grow store soon and picking up some more. Better get some Hygrowzyme and KoolBloom also, and I'll be needing net pots again soon, and a few more air stones... I know what's involved. Endless hours and endless dollars. I'll stand nose nose in support of any good cg asking a reasonable price for their product and their hard work. I choose to do it differently, and I provide my patients with the best that I have to offer. This thread started with a question about caregivers providing free meds. Along the way someone suggested that caregivers who give their meds away are providing low quality product. Although I'm sure that it's happening out there, I don't agree with that statement. There should be room for all of us, without facing unfounded accusations.

Some people like you can and will do it free providing top shelf meds. It is a stereotype that "Free Meds" = bad quality. Some poeple like PB offer oils which is even more work, all for free.

What I was saying is that I personally wouldn't put as much effort into something I wasn't compensated for. I would tire of no vacations, not even a weekend up north. and for me it isn't worth the trouble. I could grow for myself only, and spend most of my time playing video games or on the internet. Instead I grow for others.

So, I don't, and most of us probably do not mean to say every CG who gives free is lower quality. But I personally think there are fewer legit free med CG's than there are illegal free med CG's. All of the good free med CG's will get nabbed up and the PT won't change.

There are tons of stories about someone being promised free meds, and they get 1 oz free, then 1 month later they complain that their CG won't return calls, hasn't given them their meds, etc. It is a PT beware situation.

So my point is that if you are paying your CG a fair amount, he won't have the desire to sell off all of your meds to other PT's that pay, or sell them the good stuff so they keep coming back, and give you the lower buds. Yes there are free med PT's out there, legit and illegitimate. And it can be very frustrating on both sides.

In the end, it all comes down to what can you all agree on. Yes, there are free med CG's, some good, some bad. There are also good and bad fee based CG's. My PERSONAL opinion is that it is easier to find a good paid for CG than it is to find a good free med CG. But then I don't look all that hard either.

Just like Poppa Puff, if I am interviewing a PT and they ask something like "How much free do I get for my 12 plants", I immediately assume they will be a problem PT, and try to explain that isn't how it works. If they insist, I tell them I don't think we are a good fit, one of us won't be happy and wish them luck finding someone who does fit.

There is always room for charity, but not many of us are in position to sign all contracts purely on charity.

It really bothers me seeing people offer an ounce per month free if you sign up, etc... I see ads like this on budtrader, craigslist etc...

This sure sounds like they are going to sell the rest illegally. I know it is possible they are doing everything by the book, but it seems odd they are willing to give away free medication. Maybe they are weathly and are out there to help, but it doesn't seem right. I am all for people helping patients out and being compassionate.

This makes it really hard on other caregivers that are not able to cover their cost. Now patients are saying I am going to have switch caregivers and get free medication, unless you can give me a free ounce a month. Cost are really high if they do this in a middle of a grow and you have to throw away/destroy the plants.

Archived