Stimulation Of Mj Receptors Reduces Cocaine Intake.

Stimulation Of Marijuana Receptor Reduces Cocaine Consumption, Study Says

Share This Page digg.gif spreddit4.gif delicious.gif stumble.gif facebook.gif twitter.gif rsslogo.gif

July 28, 2011 - Baltimore, MD, USA

Baltimore, MD: The stimulation of a specific endocannabinoid receptor by a synthetic cannabinoid agonist significantly reduces the desire for cocaine, according to preclinical data published online in the scientific journal Nature Neuroscience.

Investigators at the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), Intramural Research Program reported that activation of the CB2 receptor via the administration of a selective cannabinoid agonist reduced intravenous cocaine administration in mice by up to 60 percent.

Researchers concluded, "These findings suggest that brain CB2 receptors modulate cocaine's rewarding and locomotor-stimulating effects, likely by a dopamine-dependent mechanism."

Separate studies have previously documented that THC is associated with reduced sensitivity to opiate dependence and that moderate cannabis use may improve retention to naltrexone treatment among opiate-dependent subjects.

For more information, please contact Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director, at: paul@norml.org. Full text of the study, "Brain cannabinoid CB2 receptors modulate cocaine's actions in mice," appears online in the journal Nature Neuroscience.

updated: Jul 28, 2011