California Hospital Accused Of Denying Treatment To Legal Mmj Patients

California Hospital Accused Of Denying Medical Treatment To Legal MMJ Patients

14 years in and its Business as Usual

This seems to be the trend across the country. Some would say it is the lack of research for medical marijuana that keeps doctors from treating their patients with cannabis. Some may say medical marijuana is too unregulated for doctors to proscribe. Some may say that the current Federal Governments position creates fear for Dr.’s to even consider treating there patients with cannabis.

The Dr.’s oath on the other hand is not up for debate.

Modern version

Awidely used modern version of the traditional oath was penned in 1964 by Dr.Louis Lasagna, former Principal of the Sackler School of Graduate BiomedicalSciences and Academic Dean of the School of Medicine at Tufts University:[8]

I swear to fulfill, to the best of myability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required,avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or thechemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call inmy colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given to me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be with in my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility mustbe faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sickhuman being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economicstability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations toall my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I liveand remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preservethe finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy ofhealing those who seek my help.”

The story below more than contradicts the oath of the Doctor. The knee jerk reaction to cannabis as medicine should be obsolete in 2011, and it is time that the traditional medical institutions take the initiative in the application of cannabis in practice. As so many of the issues that face this community, the focus and discussion must be on the treatment of sick people with cannabis. The arcane political view that fails to recognize the patient’s true medical needsand options must be altered, and the medical profession has an obligation at this point to step forward and lead in application of cannabis as a medicine in its traditional practice.

http://the420times.com/2011/08/california-hospital-accused-of-denying-medical-treatment-to-legal-mmj-patients/

David Fiedler | Aug 02, 2011

It’s against medical ethics and possibly even the law, but ahospital in Calaveras County, California is alleged to be preventing seriouslyill patients from receiving needed medical attention based on the fact thatthey also use medical marijuana legally under Prop. 215.

The Stockton Record originally ran the story about a numberof patients who were told they could not continue to see doctors at clinics runby Mark Twain St. Joseph’s Hospital unless they signed a form agreeing not touse medical marijuana. These patients – including a disabled veteran, a68-year-old man with a brain tumor, and a 45-year-old woman with scoliosis anddegenerative disc disease — were also told they would be drug tested at randomto insure compliance with this policy.

At the center of the controversy is Dr. Rafael Rosado, themedical director for the hospital’s clinics, who was hired in June according tothe Calaveras Enterprise newspaper. Dr. Rosado apparently believes that medicalmarijuana patients are just one step from being gutter junkies, as the Recordquoted from an email he sent:

“The true issue here is that we have a huge problem withpatients who take prescribed pain medicines while also abusing illegalsubstances.”

“Abusing illegal substances” seems to be Dr. Rosado’s way ofreferring to patients who legally use cannabis for their serious medicalproblems.

According to the Enterprise, Dr. Rosado also “had refused tohelp [a patient] find a primary care physician, and that Rosado told him thehospital would not provide primary care for any MMJ user.” Needless to say,medical marijuana in California (as well as every other state) can only beprovided on the written recommendation of a doctor in the first place. So hereis a licensed doctor apparently refusing care to an entire class of peoplebased on his personal prejudices.

If these allegations are indeed true, the hospitaladministrators and directors responsible should be prosecuted to the fullextent of the law, and the Estate of Mark Twain should sue to remove thishospital’s use and sullying of his good name. From everything I’ve read by thelate Mr. Clemens, he would have been one of the first to ride these folks outof town on a rail.

Posted by:

Michael Komorn

California Hospital Accused Of Denying Medical Treatment To Legal MMJ Patients

14 years in and its Business as Usual

This seems to be the trend across the country. Some would say it is the lack of research for medical marijuana that keeps doctors from treating their patients with cannabis. Some may say medical marijuana is too unregulated for doctors to proscribe. Some may say that the current Federal Governments position creates fear for Dr.’s to even consider treating there patients with cannabis.

The Dr.’s oath on the other hand is not up for debate.

Modern version

Awidely used modern version of the traditional oath was penned in 1964 by Dr.Louis Lasagna, former Principal of the Sackler School of Graduate BiomedicalSciences and Academic Dean of the School of Medicine at Tufts University:[8]

I swear to fulfill, to the best of myability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required,avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or thechemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call inmy colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given to me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be with in my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility mustbe faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sickhuman being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economicstability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations toall my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I liveand remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preservethe finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy ofhealing those who seek my help.”

The story below more than contradicts the oath of the Doctor. The knee jerk reaction to cannabis as medicine should be obsolete in 2011, and it is time that the traditional medical institutions take the initiative in the application of cannabis in practice. As so many of the issues that face this community, the focus and discussion must be on the treatment of sick people with cannabis. The arcane political view that fails to recognize the patient’s true medical needsand options must be altered, and the medical profession has an obligation at this point to step forward and lead in application of cannabis as a medicine in its traditional practice.

http://the420times.com/2011/08/california-hospital-accused-of-denying-medical-treatment-to-legal-mmj-patients/

David Fiedler | Aug 02, 2011

It’s against medical ethics and possibly even the law, but ahospital in Calaveras County, California is alleged to be preventing seriouslyill patients from receiving needed medical attention based on the fact thatthey also use medical marijuana legally under Prop. 215.

The Stockton Record originally ran the story about a numberof patients who were told they could not continue to see doctors at clinics runby Mark Twain St. Joseph’s Hospital unless they signed a form agreeing not touse medical marijuana. These patients – including a disabled veteran, a68-year-old man with a brain tumor, and a 45-year-old woman with scoliosis anddegenerative disc disease — were also told they would be drug tested at randomto insure compliance with this policy.

At the center of the controversy is Dr. Rafael Rosado, themedical director for the hospital’s clinics, who was hired in June according tothe Calaveras Enterprise newspaper. Dr. Rosado apparently believes that medicalmarijuana patients are just one step from being gutter junkies, as the Recordquoted from an email he sent:

“The true issue here is that we have a huge problem withpatients who take prescribed pain medicines while also abusing illegalsubstances.”

“Abusing illegal substances” seems to be Dr. Rosado’s way ofreferring to patients who legally use cannabis for their serious medicalproblems.

According to the Enterprise, Dr. Rosado also “had refused tohelp [a patient] find a primary care physician, and that Rosado told him thehospital would not provide primary care for any MMJ user.” Needless to say,medical marijuana in California (as well as every other state) can only beprovided on the written recommendation of a doctor in the first place. So hereis a licensed doctor apparently refusing care to an entire class of peoplebased on his personal prejudices.

If these allegations are indeed true, the hospitaladministrators and directors responsible should be prosecuted to the fullextent of the law, and the Estate of Mark Twain should sue to remove thishospital’s use and sullying of his good name. From everything I’ve read by thelate Mr. Clemens, he would have been one of the first to ride these folks outof town on a rail.

Posted by:

Michael Komorn

Here in Clare County sounds the same..My nephew had picked up his son for his visit time...His son had bout 14 human bites..I have pics..This baby had went to Clare med center..they had sent baby to Gladwin hospital for shots and meds due to Human bites (some was bleeding..).Niether, clare Med Center, Nor Gladwin Hospital REPORT this to Protective service,s..My nephew took baby to pilce station in Harrison,Mi..the lady looked at baby, left room ,came back and sent him to another police station,Then she had shut the window on the baby...When he called protectice services, they said @ hospitals didnt report

)athis to them..So they would NOT listen to them...We called our Clare Rep..I am not sure if anything is even been done..ALlmost a month latter..Baby is still n moms care..NOW hse has had some one report her since this, for leaving a 6year old to baby sit a 15 month old...This BABY needs help..

Archived