Democracy For The 21St Century

Just an idea I've had kicking around in my head for a while...

Our current election system is terrible and everyone knows it. Politicians you elect don't vote as you would. They take a bunch of money in campaign donations, get elected, and forget about you for the next 3 years until it's campaign time again. Thanks to the internet I don't think this is necessary anymore.

We should all be able to vote online on any and all bills in any legislature. If you don't have the time to keep up with voting on everything, you would be able to select someone to represent you. It could be literally anyone. It would simply make the computer system automatically cast your vote the same as theirs. If you disagree with a vote they make, you can override that one specifically, or, at any time, change your representative (or go back to voting independently).

I think corruption would have a much tougher time with a system like that.

Just an idea I've had kicking around in my head for a while...

Our current election system is terrible and everyone knows it. Politicians you elect don't vote as you would. They take a bunch of money in campaign donations, get elected, and forget about you for the next 3 years until it's campaign time again. Thanks to the internet I don't think this is necessary anymore.

We should all be able to vote online on any and all bills in any legislature. If you don't have the time to keep up with voting on everything, you would be able to select someone to represent you. It could be literally anyone. It would simply make the computer system automatically cast your vote the same as theirs. If you disagree with a vote they make, you can override that one specifically, or, at any time, change your representative (or go back to voting independently).

I think corruption would have a much tougher time with a system like that.

I think the closest practical means to participatory democracy (or republicanism if you make that distinction) is here: http://www.youtube.com/movie/us-now

The man behind the curtain is finding it harder to hide.

Archived