Disability From U.s. Government And Mmj Card

happygolucky

I hear that lists of names are supposedly being cross-checked by both our state and government and the Federal government..

I saw this in another post and now I’m wondering if this may be the reason my patient hasn’t received his plastic card yet.

Check was cashed in December of 2010.. I haven’t received a caregivers card either. He is retired from the Coast Guard and receives a disability from the government. I can’t get him to call the phone number to check this out. Anyone think this may be the reason for no patient or caregivers card?

I know a Patient who is collecting 100% from VA and has had card for two years. Since you're this Patients Caregiver why don't you call Lansing and find out what the delay is.

Thanks for your reply.. It has to be the patient that calls for information from Lansing.

And I'm thinking my patient would rather NOT know the answer, it may be one he doesn't want to hear. But after reading your reply I do feel a bit better.. Thanks for the information. I will pass this on to him.

Hey Happy,

If they cashed his check, and they did not notify him or you of any issues within 21 days I think you are good. The cross referencing and denial or holding back of a card is not legal under the law, so I think this is just a urban legend being perpetuated. I think as a caregiver you could call asking about your copy of the card and when to expect that.

I have a lawyer, I recommend this for all caregivers consult yours if you still feel ill at ease and if you don't have one get one.

Hope that helps, regards, EZ

If your name is on one of the cards, you have the right to call & find out what the problem is.

They cashed your check in Dec 2010? Gotta be a new record for them.

I'm sorry this happened bro. I'm sorry this happens to any of us. What can ya do. Being angry over it is most counterproductive.

My first card was 22 days in Feb '09. 2nd card was 25 days in Mar '10. 3rd card still isn't here. Recertified in March '11.

I don't really care anymore if they don't send the card, but they can just send back my quid. Got my doctor's rec & paperwork & that's all I need to be lawful. They keep acting up & I might just use paperwork next year & not even get a card. What would they say if we all did that?

Maybe they don't need our money. I hear we've paid over $8 million to date for our cards. Usually when you pay for a service you get respect & consideration. You get it at the Sec of State. People wouldn't wait 8 months after they paid to get their driver license. There would be noise.

We just have to be patient with them I guess & do the best we can. Failure is not an option. :rock:

[end of rant]

Even if they were checking, they would issue the card then hold his VA benefits, not the other way around. And it would be the VA upset, not the MI LARA. So MI would still issue the card and let you sort it out with the VA if they were cross checking.

I think they are so backed up, they are losing paperwork. If you are more than about 3-4 months out, you should call. They can claim they sent a denial and that you aren't carded. Even though you didn't receive the denial, you aren't covered for more than about 3-4 months without a hard card.

Speaking of which, if my new card doesn't show soon, I will be calling for myself.

If anyone has called maybe they can share what number and if there was a contact person to ask for or any info that may help these peeps. My card this year took 4 months but I have it now. Maybe if all the peeps beyond 3 months start politely calling well squeaky wheel gets the grease, and they will become more responsive. I do want to highlight politely calling, I am guessing its a under-staffing issue like what is being reported and the person answering the phone is most likely part of the solution not the problem.

Regards, EZ

If anyone has called maybe they can share what number and if there was a contact person to ask for or any info that may help these peeps. My card this year took 4 months but I have it now. Maybe if all the peeps beyond 3 months start politely calling well squeaky wheel gets the grease, and they will become more responsive. I do want to highlight politely calling, I am guessing its a under-staffing issue like what is being reported and the person answering the phone is most likely part of the solution not the problem.

Regards, EZ

Thanks for your response ... I made the phone call today 517-373-0395 is the contact phone number that was on the LARA site... was only able to leave a detailed message.. now the wait is on.. I'll let you know if and when I find anything out. :notfair:

Even if they were checking, they would issue the card then hold his VA benefits, not the other way around. And it would be the VA upset, not the MI LARA. So MI would still issue the card and let you sort it out with the VA if they were cross checking.

I think they are so backed up, they are losing paperwork. If you are more than about 3-4 months out, you should call. They can claim they sent a denial and that you aren't carded. Even though you didn't receive the denial, you aren't covered for more than about 3-4 months without a hard card.

Speaking of which, if my new card doesn't show soon, I will be calling for myself.

Thanks for the information on the VA benefits.. it makes me feel that much better knowing that. :jig:

If your name is on one of the cards, you have the right to call & find out what the problem is.

They cashed your check in Dec 2010? Gotta be a new record for them.

I'm sorry this happened bro. I'm sorry this happens to any of us. What can ya do. Being angry over it is most counterproductive.

My first card was 22 days in Feb '09. 2nd card was 25 days in Mar '10. 3rd card still isn't here. Recertified in March '11.

I don't really care anymore if they don't send the card, but they can just send back my quid. Got my doctor's rec & paperwork & that's all I need to be lawful. They keep acting up & I might just use paperwork next year & not even get a card. What would they say if we all did that?

Maybe they don't need our money. I hear we've paid over $8 million to date for our cards. Usually when you pay for a service you get respect & consideration. You get it at the Sec of State. People wouldn't wait 8 months after they paid to get their driver license. There would be noise.

We just have to be patient with them I guess & do the best we can. Failure is not an option. :rock:

[end of rant]

Thank you Kevin for your response... I agree with you about using paper work.. I was as polite on the message I left and have yet to hear anything back from them. Patient.. Patient.. I can be patient... but it still makes me a bit uncomfortable not having a card for him after all this time. I'll just keep hanging low and being safe... and patiently waiting for that card! :blink:

I wouldn't worry about collecting VA Benefits and being a legal mmj patient. I have been collecting benefits since I ets'd in 1993, well it took a little over a year but I got back pay. Then I was awarded 100% in april 2007 and notified in february 2010. I applied for my mmj card in november 2010 and recieved my hard card in may or june. Plus I went to social security court in january this year and was approved for social security disability and i believe that the judge knew that I was a legal patient because as part of his award i was to have a representative payee, someone to handle my money because I am "addicted" to marijuana.

Given these massive delays in card issuance, what is the soonest ahead of expiration u are allowed to apply for revewal?

since your papers are good 21 days after you get your green card back, why would you want to apply any sooner because if you apply sooner that means the new card expires sooner and you are not getting the benefit of a full year for your $100 to the state.

... Plus I went to social security court in january this year and was approved for social security disability and i believe that the judge knew that I was a legal patient because as part of his award i was to have a representative payee, someone to handle my money because I am "addicted" to marijuana.

That sucks... I went to SS court before I got my card... but in my dr. records submitted to SS was a blood test, the dr. office does random for narcotic pain meds & thc showed up on that test. The judge didn't bring it up in my hearing... but in his judgement he wrote something like, "thc positive in blood but marijuana use not a factor in disability." Guess I got lucky...

That sucks... I went to SS court before I got my card... but in my dr. records submitted to SS was a blood test, the dr. office does random for narcotic pain meds & thc showed up on that test. The judge didn't bring it up in my hearing... but in his judgement he wrote something like, "thc positive in blood but marijuana use not a factor in disability." Guess I got lucky...

you don't have to have a payee??

• 2 weeks later...

This is not unheard of. I'm not sure why its taking forever for some people. My patient's check was cashed in February and he still hasn't gotten his, but I got my caregivers card for him. Maybe there is a list and I got through the system faster because I am already registered as a caregiver. Maybe theres an even deeper messed up reason that we know nothing about...

Archived