Running 2 1000 Watt Hoods + Inline Fan

Kingdiamond

OK i plan to add a 2nd 1000 watt light to my flower room i have a 20 amp breaker that is dedicated to my grow room will the 20 amp breaker be enough to keep this setup from popping the breakers ? :unsure:

I do plan on running the lamps on different timers one of the 1ks and an inline will start than 3-5 minutes later #2 1k will fire up . :thumbsu:

a 20 amp breaker is rated to run a continuous 16 amps. Each 1000w is going to consume around 9.5 amps at 120v. 2 1000's with a fan will put you over the continuous rating for the breaker, somewhere near 19 amps, and you will have it trip pretty often. It will heat up, and trip, not immediately, but at least once an hour.

I'd recommend adding a second 15 amp circuit for the 2nd 1000w. 15 amp can run a 1000w by itself no problem.

I had the same problem, it would trip the breaker constantly. The way I got around it was I just plugged one ballast and the fan into the outlet in the grow room and then ran an extension cord into the room next door that was on a separate breaker and plugged the other ballast and timer in, problem solved.

I don't know know if that's an option for you but I did it about 4 months ago and haven't had a problem since :thumbsu: If you go this route just make sure to use a good quality, thick extension cord.

You shouldn't run something that high of amps on an extension cord. Not long term anyway. Read the ballast instructions, it will say not to use an extension, and if you ignore that and there is a fire, the insurance company can say you were ignoring the manufacturers requirements and not pay.

If you have only a 1000w, a 15 amp should be fine. 1000w should run somewhere around 9.2-10.2 amps. A 15 amp circuit can handle 12amp continuous. So, check your ballast running amps, but a 15 amp breaker with nothing else on it would be totally fine for most 1000w ballasts.

If you have other things on that breaker, then you might consider upgrading to a 20amp. But you have to have the right wire in the wall to run 20 amp, you can't just stick a 20 amp breaker on a 15 amp rated wire.

Cedar

The 20 amp is put on the appropriate gauge wire my electrician ran a dedicated conduit to where my flower room is another question i have is Ive been to others gardens in normal households where up to 4-6 1000 watt hoods were running how are they able to pull that off without burning the house down ? :unsure:

You shouldn't run something that high of amps on an extension cord. Not long term anyway. Read the ballast instructions, it will say not to use an extension, and if you ignore that and there is a fire, the insurance company can say you were ignoring the manufacturers requirements and not pay.

If you have only a 1000w, a 15 amp should be fine. 1000w should run somewhere around 9.2-10.2 amps. A 15 amp circuit can handle 12amp continuous. So, check your ballast running amps, but a 15 amp breaker with nothing else on it would be totally fine for most 1000w ballasts.

If you have other things on that breaker, then you might consider upgrading to a 20amp. But you have to have the right wire in the wall to run 20 amp, you can't just stick a 20 amp breaker on a 15 amp rated wire.

Cedar

I highly doubt the insurance company would pay anyway when they found out that your weed room burned down your house lol :D. If you use a quality extension cord you you should be fine as long as it's not 50 ft. long. I use a 20ft. Furman. Then again the options are limited. Like you said, a 15 amp breaker will work fine for one 1000w ballast by itself.

EDIT: just saw your recent post KD. If you have an electrician it might be best to get his take on it. I know some electricians are making small panels with multiple 15 amp breakers running straight to the panel. I used to hook one up at my old job to run equipment for function rooms etc. Might be something to ask him about.

The 20 amp is put on the appropriate gauge wire my electrician ran a dedicated conduit to where my flower room is another question i have is Ive been to others gardens in normal households where up to 4-6 1000 watt hoods were running how are they able to pull that off without burning the house down ? :unsure:

Either multiple circuits, like I do, or running 220. At 220, a 1000w is at like 4.5 amp, so on a 220 20 amp, you could run 3 no problem. And like motor said, you can run a sub panel at 60-100amp.

All the houses in my hood have 100 amp breakers my guy was saying something about 220 overpowering my breaker box ? :unsure:

Both of my 1ks are switchable i would love to run 220 in lieu of the normal 110 voltage . :thumbsu:

I'd like to switch to 220 myself, it would be a lot more cost effective. I'm already getting raped bad enough by DTE :lol:

I'd like to switch to 220 myself, it would be a lot more cost effective. I'm already getting raped bad enough by DTE :lol:

Running the ballast at 220 won't really save you any money on your electric bill. When you look at the amp draw difference between 120 and 220 it can be misleading. A 120 volt connection is only drawing current from one "hot" leg and is using a neutral for its return. In the case of a 1000 watt ballast you are drawing around 8.4 amps off the one line. Now using a 220 circuit you are drawing current from both of the two "hot" legs so that current is divided between both legs. In this case you will draw about 4.2 amps on each leg, still a total of about 8.4 amps. Now your ballast might run a little more efficient at 220 but I doubt you will notice the savings.

KD is the 20 amp circuit you are currently using a dedicated circuit installed only for your lights? If so you could change that to a 220 circuit just for the ballasts and use a nearby 120 circuit for your fans. If it is a circuit that you had added for your lights it would be a real simple job to convert it over to 220. It's only a matter of changing the outlet and the breaker if your panel has space.

I almost forgot. It doesn't matter if you use a high quality cord or not. Stay away from extension cords. They are designed for temporary use only. Don't run that kind of amperage off of it for that many hours a day.

220 will make a slight drop in your bill, my switch over dropped like $30 or so off, can't say 100% it was because of that, maybe I just turned off the tv more, but something dropped when I switched lol. Its way easier to load up a 120 then a 220/240 and switching over really isn't that bad or hard, I conveniently had an electric stove breaker that wasn't being used since I ran gas up to my kitchen, so I just ran the wires off that over to my room, into a separate box then wired the whole room off that box so it'll trip the front breaker before it ever gets to my box.

220 will save you a little money. you won't really use that much less electricity, you just use it more efficently. I replaced the meter hub, wire in and the old fuse box. I now have a 200amp service with 6 dedicated 20amp circuts in my rooms on 12g wire!! kind of overkill but safety first!!!

I almost forgot. It doesn't matter if you use a high quality cord or not. Stay away from extension cords. They are designed for temporary use only. Don't run that kind of amperage off of it for that many hours a day.

This can't be said enough, extension cords are bad mojo in grow rooms!

Savings will all depend on the way the ballast was manufactured. Some are designed to operate more efficiently at 220. But when you are talking about one ballast the difference will be minimal assuming yours was manufactured as such. Now if you have a larger number you might see more savings from a combined effect.

The main advantage is that one 20 amp 220 circuit can run 3500 watts continuously as opposed to a 120 circuit which will only get 1750 continuosly. It's a more efficient use of wiring and is really the biggest advantage to higher voltage.

This can't be said enough, extension cords are bad mojo in grow rooms!

Man, you guys are some scaredy cats lol :lol: Live a little. Anyone who's that worried about needs one of these in 20' length.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/electrical-electrical-cords-cord-management-extension-cords/tower-manufacturing-corporation-40-ft-circuit-breaker-extension-cord-162890.html

Archived