Ag To Give Press Release

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not good ..

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/08/10/schuette-looks-to-close-med-marijuana-gaps/

LANSING (WWJ) - Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette is taking aim at the state’s medical marijuana law. He says he’s announcing some legislative proposals Wednesday morning to protect public safety.

“I’m working with law enforcement, prosecutors, sheriffs, Michigan state medical society, republicans and democrats to propose some legislative fixes so that we can make sure there’s safety on the highway and integrity on the streets of the state of Michigan,” said Schuette.

Schuette wouldn’t offer specifics, but has said that driving under the influence of marijuana is illegal, even if it’s prescribed by a doctor. The medical marijuana act was approved by Michigan voters in 2008.

An appeals court is scheduled to hear the case of a medical marijuana user that was pulled over for speeding and cited for driving under the influence last year.

“We’ll be proposing a number of different legislative fixes because we see now that this law was designed for those who had a chronic illness, maybe an end of life pain management problem, but it’s being exploited and used and hijacked by those who want to make money off selling pot, and that’s against the law in the state of Michigan,” said Schuette.

Guest Happy Guy

Then we need a judge to address what the attorney said before it is even close to valid. Take what he says as 'a suggestion' by an attorney to a judge. If he is way out of line the judges will set it straight. This is like a 'serve' in tennis. It could be a 'double fault' service. LOL

I just dont understand how judge's cant see the hypocrisy in his rulings and the actual law. You need a physical plastic card, but it takes 4 months to get cards out. no patient to patient transfers (dispensaries), but what if I dont know any caregivers or dont know how to grow for myself? and if I am to grow for myself how do you suggest I acquire genetics to start growing if P2P is not allowed? You cant drive under the influence of MM, ok...I have not medicated for 2 days, then why is it in your bloodstream? because it stays there for 30 days!!! Your card is no good because its not a genuine doctor patient relationship, well my regular doctor thinks its a joke that MM can be used to help my aliments I guess for some reason he does not want me to get off the 8 medications I currently take. (by the way, the first time I go my "regular" doctor I can and have been prescribed a number of opiates)

It seems like you would have to be extraordinarily wealthy to abide by the law under his definition, you need to learn to grow, hire a driver to take you everywhere, all the money spent to find a doc that will sign a rec and the cost to see him "as must as he deems necessary to establish a Doc/Patient relationship.

Its a strange mix of rickety old men being afraid of change, and people trying to find ways to make money off of a new industry (while maintaining LEO's revenue stream). And dont get me started on LEO and how they are being directed.......Everyone (REP elected officials) is clueless and scared about what society has already deemed harmless and OK.

sorry,

/rant

Guest Happy Guy

“We’ll be proposing a number of different legislative fixes because we see now that this law was designed for those who had a chronic illness, maybe an end of life pain management problem, but it’s being exploited and used and hijacked by those who want to make money off selling pot, and that’s against the law in the state of Michigan,” said Schuette.

There are already laws in place to address illegal cannabis sales. Just inforce the laws as they exist. Cut the drama. Some of the illegal sellers pretend they are medical. Of course they do! It is to be expected. That's why we have law enforcement. It serves no purpose to further limit/restrict/regulate the people that ARE following the law. Just arrest the ones you can prove are breaking the law as it is written. There are no short cuts to justice Mr. Schuette. You can't make the law abiding patients and caregivers pay for something they have no part in. Judges know this even if Mr. Schuette ignores it.

He doesn't get it.

This medicine could SAVE lives. Not just make it easier to die.

Sounds to me like he wants to leave us pain patients to the opiates. NOT an option for me. Then again neither is the down-town-doo-doo-brown cannabis that could wind up being produced under the walsh package (10 Licensed facilities per year). Low quality cannabis has NO medicinal value for me, a pain patient with a pain level that ranges from 7-10. Yes I did say 10. When my neck tweaks and starts spazing out nobody will see me. I will be in bed howling at the walls and making my dog and girlfriend miserable (they hate to see it). Only the strongest varieties will work on me,and even then nothing, and I mean nothing makes it go away. Ever. Is Schuette going to pay for my meds and surgeries when he takes my plants away?

11AM in Lansing. This should be live on Detroit TV channel 7.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/michigan-attorney-general-bill-schuette-is-calling-for-changes-to-the-state%27s-medical-marijuana-law#ixzz1UdbMC9is

Posted: 6:37 AM

Last Updated: 2 hours and 58 minutes ago

LANSING, Mich. (WXYZ) - Michigan's attorney general is calling for changes to the state's medical marijuana law.

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette will announce legislative proposals Wednesday to protect public safety and target people exploiting Michigan's medical marijuana law.

Schuette is scheduled to make his proposals at an 11 a.m. news conference in Lansing.

The state attorney general is not a fan among medical marijuana advocates. One activist is even trying to recall Schuette, because of his stance on the law.

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/michigan-attorney-general-bill-schuette-is-calling-for-changes-to-the-state%27s-medical-marijuana-law#ixzz1UdQYWT5o

“I’m working with law enforcement, prosecutors, sheriffs, Michigan state medical society, republicans and democrats to propose some legislative fixes so that we can make sure there’s safety on the highway and integrity on the streets of the state of Michigan,”

said Schuette.

Schuette wouldn’t offer specifics . . .

************************************************************************************

....sounds like an awful ignorant, arrogant, pompous buffoon, to me...

...perhaps you might consider banning alcohol sales ?

... how about integrity of ethics ? integrity of the office you were 'given' ?

? integrity on the street ?

11AM in Lansing. This should be live on Detroit TV channel 7.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/michigan-attorney-general-bill-schuette-is-calling-for-changes-to-the-state%27s-medical-marijuana-law#ixzz1UdbMC9is

Posted: 6:37 AM

Last Updated: 2 hours and 58 minutes ago

LANSING, Mich. (WXYZ) - Michigan's attorney general is calling for changes to the state's medical marijuana law.

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette will announce legislative proposals Wednesday to protect public safety and target people exploiting Michigan's medical marijuana law.

Schuette is scheduled to make his proposals at an 11 a.m. news conference in Lansing.

The state attorney general is not a fan among medical marijuana advocates. One activist is even trying to recall Schuette, because of his stance on the law.

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/michigan-attorney-general-bill-schuette-is-calling-for-changes-to-the-state%27s-medical-marijuana-law#ixzz1UdQYWT5o

I'm sure the recall efforts have really pissed him off by now. Unless he is actually recalled he will continue to get even with us due to the fact its a mm activist that has headed up the team to go after him.

not good ..

http://detroit.cbslo...marijuana-gaps/

I’m working with law enforcement, prosecutors, sheriffs, Michigan state medical society, republicans and democrats to propose some legislative fixes so that we can make sure there’s safety on the highway and integrity on the streets of the state of Michigan,” said Schuette.

That statement says it all - he is working with law enforcement. Not with actual Medical Marijuana patients.

The guy is so prejudiced. There are a lot worse things out there than medical marijuana users. Sick of this guy picking on us. I swear, he must be insane.

The Michigan AG and his political friends are not going to be satisfied until the MMM Act is reversed or made to be so constrained and limited by law that no one will be able to qualify or receive 'meds'.

This will keep up until we, the voters force 'full legalization' upon them.

Soon there will be no middle ground regarding the MMJ law.

Don't you just love all these Christian politicians who follow the word of Jesus Christ who said; "Screw'em, throw them all in jail!"

Bills tackle misuse of medical marijuana law, attorney general says

http://www.freep.com/article/20110810/NEWS06/110810036/Bills-tackle-misuse-medical-marijuana-law-attorney-general-says?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Michigan’s medical marijuana law has been abused, exploited and hijacked by pot profiteers, said state Attorney General Bill Schuette in pushing a package of bills that will close loopholes in the law that was intended to provide pot to people with terminal, debilitating and chronic diseases.

“The law has been hijacked by drug dealers who want to make money, line their pockets and make a huge profit,” Schuette said at a news conference this morning where he was flanked by lawmakers, police, prosecutors and doctors. “This law has as many holes as Swiss cheese. It’s out of control and we need to fix it.”

Legislators plan to introduce a package of eight bills in the fall that would: prohibit felons from becoming certified caregivers or people from getting medical marijuana certificates on line; strengthen the doctor-patient relationship in terms of giving out and receiving certificates; regulate the placement of medical marijuana dispensaries, prohibit driving under the influence of any amount of marijuana and clarify the definition of a debilitating medical condition that would allow a person to get a medical marijuana certificate.

“We have a goal of protecting public safety while preserving the legitimate right of people who need medical marijuana,” said state Rep. John Walsh, R-Livonia.

State Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, said he’d also like to see a simple saliva test developed, similar to a portable breathalyzer test, that would immediately show if a person is under the influence of pot.

Dr. Steven Newman, president of the Michigan State Medical Society, said the law passed in 2008 is poorly worded and has led to confusion for both patients and physicians.

“What we’re most interested in is getting a bona fide physician-patient relationship that we can define,” Newman said.

And while the package of bills doesn’t specifically address the legality of pot dispensaries, Schuette has argued to the court of appeals that the law doesn’t allow for dispensaries and that they should be outlawed.

Guest Happy Guy

Here's the official release:

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,4534,7-164-46849_47203-260652--,00.html

Law Enforcement Works to Close Loopholes in Medical Marijuana Law, Protect Public Safety

Agency: Attorney General

August 10, 2011

LANSING - Attorney General Bill Schuette was joined today by members of state and local law enforcement, prosecutors, representatives of the medical community and legislative leaders to propose legislation to address the growing public safety problems associated with the poorly written Michigan Medical Marihuana Act (MMMA). Schuette announced the details of a legislative package, including new laws to ensure safety on the roads and hold accountable criminals who abuse the state medical marijuana certification process.

"This law has been hijacked by pot profiteers who threaten public safety on the roads and in our communities," said Schuette.

At the announcement to unveil the legislative proposals Schuette was joined by: Senator Rick Jones (R-Grand Ledge), Representative John Walsh (R-Livonia), Dr. Steven E. Newman, President of the Michigan State Medical Society, Lt. Col. Gary Gorski of the Michigan State Police, Cass County Prosecutor Victor Fitz, Saginaw County Prosecutor Michael Thomas, Eaton County Sheriff Mike Raines, Clinton County Sheriff Wayne Kangas, and Berrien Springs Oronoko Township Police Chief Milton Agay.

Schuette noted confusing inconsistencies between the Michigan Motor Vehicle Code and the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act must be eliminated to preserve safety on Michigan roadways. A longstanding safety provision in the Michigan Motor Vehicle Code prohibits driving with any amount of marijuana in your system. In contrast, the MMMA references driving "under the influence of marijuana," a term which is not defined in state law or by uniform scientific standards, and creates a different standard for medical marijuana users. This inconsistency has created confusion for law enforcement, and is currently under review by the Michigan Court of Appeals in the case, People v. Koon.

Schuette cited statistics recently released by the Michigan State Police which indicate that marijuana-related fatalities remain the most common drug-related automobile fatality, and that such fatalities are on the rise in Michigan.

"Driving with marijuana in your system is unsafe and jeopardizes the safety of our roadways," said Schuette. "If you take drugs, don't take the wheel."

Schuette also proposed legislative reforms to the Penal Code that will give prosecutors and law enforcement the tools they need to crack down on criminals who exploit the loopholes of the MMMA. Currently, there is a lack of penalty provisions for criminals who undermine the integrity of the system by submitting fraudulent patient and caregiver applications or fraudulent physician certifications. Schuette has proposed the creation of new crimes to crack down on criminal abuse of the medical marijuana certification system:

1) Make it a felony for physicians to knowingly falsely certify a debilitating medical condition for patients seeking to use medical marijuana;

2) Make it a felony to knowingly submit false information on an application for a patient or caregiver card;

3) Make it a felony to knowingly alter a patient or caregiver card;

4) Make it a felony to knowingly possess another person's card or to transfer or allow a person to use another person's card;

5) Prohibit felons from being caregivers (Currently only those convicted of drug-related felonies are prohibited); and

6) Make it a misdemeanor for a patient or caregiver to fail to report a lost or stolen card within seven days.

In addition to the measures to preserve safety on the roadways and tackle criminal abuse of the medical marijuana certification system, Schuette proposed legislation to address several loopholes in the law, including measures to strengthen the hand of law enforcement, limit criminal access to medical marijuana, empower local communities to regulate marijuana facilities, ensure high standards for patient care, and avoid confusion and excessive litigation regarding insurance claims and coverage for medical marijuana users.

Schuette expects the bills to be introduced and considered by the legislature in the fall.

Guest Happy Guy

I'll open with:

Schuette cited statistics recently released by the Michigan State Police which indicate that marijuana-related fatalities remain the most common drug-related automobile fatality, and that such fatalities are on the rise in Michigan.

Schuette fails to point out that the reason is because they test for it more now;

"As we review the data, we are continuing to see drugs playing a larger role in traffic crashes and injuries," said Colonel Eddie L. Washington, Jr., director of the Michigan State Police (MSP). "However, much of that increase is due to expanded drug testing requests by law enforcement following an arrest."

source; http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1645_3501_4626-239251--,00.html

Guest Happy Guy

is their documentation supporting this statement? i want to see it!

The link I provided above; http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1645_3501_4626-239251--,00.html

It's obvious that it's because they test more now and that the drug stays in the system for extended periods of timeat LEVELS THAT DO NOT INDICATE IMPAIRMENT. They can prove more people have tested positive because of MORE TESTING, but not that there are more than before or that these people were actually impaired.

Archived