Probation Issue

ChipChip

Hi all. I am on probation for an operation while intoxicated. I was sentenced in January to a year probation with weekly drug testing.

I have been legal to smoke medical marijuana for about a month now for pain from a surgery I had on my shoulder.

I have had not had any violations while on probation, I have completed my court ordered 80 hours of work detail, been cleared by a counselor in outpatient and I have paid all of my fine.

When I went to discuss my medical card with my probation officer she told me that I would need to file a motion with the court to have my sentence altered. I had heard from other people who's probation officer just gave them the go ahead to medicate without appearing in court.

When I spoke with the lawyer who represented me initially he told me it would cost me between $1200-$1500 for his services alone. I am wondering if anyone has any experience in a situation like this and if they think I would be able to file the motion without representation and how much it would cost me in court fees?

Thank you for any advice in advance.

I sent all of my paper work into my p.o and went and tested dirty for thc,,I was violated,,the judge let me off and use mm the rest of my probation,,no lawyer,,but i prob got lucky,,with paper work he gave me 90 days to produce my card (not paperwork) and either report for my violation or get let off! alpena county.

Best of luck to ya!

Peace

FTW

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering moving to Mighigan to medicate. I was arrested for felony possesion in New York recently and will be getting probation. I would like to move before my court case is finished. I need to medicate to maintain my quality of life. Can anyone recommend a county that would be sympathetic and allow me to medicate while on probation? Thanks in advance. -Cannaman

I'm considering moving to Mighigan to medicate. I was arrested for felony possesion in New York recently and will be getting probation. I would like to move before my court case is finished. I need to medicate to maintain my quality of life. Can anyone recommend a county that would be sympathetic and allow me to medicate while on probation? Thanks in advance. -Cannaman

Washtenaw county. Ann Arbor.

• 3 weeks later...

County has no bearing on if you can medicate on probation, your po will have the final say in that and seeing as you got busted with a felony possesion you are prolly not gonna be looking at smoking with their approval. Why i always say get legal first before you get busted...

Hi all. I am on probation for an operation while intoxicated. I was sentenced in January to a year probation with weekly drug testing.

I have been legal to smoke medical marijuana for about a month now for pain from a surgery I had on my shoulder.

I have had not had any violations while on probation, I have completed my court ordered 80 hours of work detail, been cleared by a counselor in outpatient and I have paid all of my fine.

When I went to discuss my medical card with my probation officer she told me that I would need to file a motion with the court to have my sentence altered. I had heard from other people who's probation officer just gave them the go ahead to medicate without appearing in court.

When I spoke with the lawyer who represented me initially he told me it would cost me between $1200-$1500 for his services alone. I am wondering if anyone has any experience in a situation like this and if they think I would be able to file the motion without representation and how much it would cost me in court fees?

Thank you for any advice in advance.

You can represent yourself (pro se) along with the motion you want to file you need a file a paper asking for the filing fees to be either suspended or forgiven, I have that paper somewhere I will post it up soon as I can find it, motions generally run about $20 to file.

Offer him $500.00 cash and I will bet he will do it. It is just a freaking motion. A court appointed lawyer- and it is highly likely your criminal lawyer does court appointed work gets about $150.00 for a motion.

Sure this is different, this is new but not really! It is the same old modification of terms of probation motion he has argued a hundred times.

I would do it myself. Talk to your PO. What does he/she say about modifying terms? What is going to be her recommendation? If he agrees then you are in good shape and people do this pro se all the time.

I should add you are not likely to win this no matter how many thousands of dollars you pay a lawyer. Either your judge and the PO and prosecutor are cool with it or they are not.

Archived