Pro Bono Legal Service

mmurphy169

So I have noticed that a number of people on this forum are concerned about the costs they would incur if they were to be prosecuted as a result of their use or cultivation of medical cannabis. These costs would be greatly reduced if attorneys would agree to defend these unfortunate individuals pro bono. Now I would relish the opportunity to help these individuals at no cost to them. It would be great legal experience for me. However, I am still just a law student and as such I can only work for clients under the guidance of a supervising attorney. So if anyone knows of an attorney who is willing to provide legal services pro bono to patients caught up in legal trouble, I would be glad to help however I can.

Furthermore, if you are a current member of the Michigan bar and support a person's right to use medical cannabis you should offer your services pro bono to those people caught up in the legal system in order to stop the harassment of these patients and the further degradation of our individual rights. If you just sit back and say its not your problem then you might as well be a prosecutor throwing these people in jail. Some people get into trouble but they can't afford to pay and ignoring them just allows the government to keep pushing until none of us have any rights left. If you are posting on this forum and claim to be a attorney yet do nothing then it tells me you are either; 1) not really an attorney and simple use the anonymous nature of this forum to pretend you're something you're not; or 2) a poopyhead who gives the legal profession a bad name. I don't understand how you could support medical cannabis but not jump to the opportunity to defend the right to use it when it presents itself.

Again, I will be glad to do whatever I can to help fight and the only payment I want is to see our rights expanded instead of eroded.

i'm not a lawyer, don't know any lawyers.

however, i do understand there are costs associated with living anywhere, personal bills to be paid, and then any business associated costs.

i don't know that is necessary to resort to such strong language as calling them poopyheads (this is sarcasm), if they don't offer free services. they may help out in their available time, but their day is spent making the bacon, just like everyone else. next, we will have a med student accusing doctors of being fartmouths if they do not certify patients for free.

i applaud your desire to help, but realize that once you "get out on your own," you also may not be able to do things for free :)

so, if you can find someone, GREAT! do it while you can, before the world starts beating down on you and you have to start paying back student loans, rent, electric, gas, water, phone, car, insurance, office space, work clothes, food.

Isn't part of being a lawyer mandatory pro bono work from time to time?

No its not mandatory unless you are in a law firm that requires it. The ABA has suggested it might make it mandatory, however that raises issues of involuntary servitude and if they did they would find themselves the subject of countless lawsuits from constitutional law attorneys.

As for the fact that people have bills and other costs, I understand that, but taking on a case pro bono here and there is not going to make or break any attorney. I mean I paid an attorney $1500 when I got an OUI and all he did was show up in court twice and fill out some paper work. The bankruptcy attorney I contacted wanted to charge me $900 to help me declare bankruptcy and all he would have done is copy the information I was gonna provide him to the bankruptcy paperwork.

If you are a criminal defense attorney and make not proclamations for or against a person's right to use medical cannibals, then it is fine to simply charge people for what you normally do. However, if you claim to be an advocate of medical cannabis then you should acknowledge that the fight has to occur where ever and whenever it takes place and not simply if the individuals involved can pay. The Institute for Justice takes on cases pro bono all the time that involve abuses of eminent domain and other violations of individual rights. They know that most of the people targeted are those who can't afford legal services and that's why they do what they do.

By the way I already pay for "student loans, rent, electric, gas, water, phone, car, insurance, work clothes, food." so you should think twice before making assumptions.

Mr. MM169,

I applaud your understanding of social justice. Simply put, you encourage "walk it like talk it." By the way, that doesn't apply to lawyers only but to growers (patients + cgs) who can choose to join MMA + pay $20 per year to support the org., and not just be a lurker.

The smart thing to do is hook up with a seasoned paralegal who are more apt to do pro-bono work and prep the case so the attorney only has to do very litte. Most attorneys owe ungodly amounts in student loans. I have seen one pro-bono cross my desk from an attorney in all of my years as a paralegal.

If people are getting into trouble they can always request a court appointed attorney and at their hearing they can request a specific court appointed attorney, one that is knowledgeable in mmj. The judges know which attorney that would be.

West Michigan - Ottawa County Public Defender Attorney Randall L. Collins (616) 844-5446 Grand Haven Legal

North Michigan - Attorney Cameron Harwell (231) 876-1728

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps a better strategy would be to fund a legal defense team that will come in and represent- all the way to the Michigan Supreme Court if necessary- any lawful MM patient who is charged even though he is in compliance with the MMMA or because of one of the many ambiguities in the law.

I would throw $20 a year into the kitty for this type of insurance. If you get a few thousand contributors we could have a whole legal team working for the patients.

Also, though I am a recovering lawyer and don't practice these days (praise Jesus) I have to wonder at the expectation of free services. Not going to happen I can almost guarantee!

Lawyers don't take an oath to help the poor and indigent and provide free services- but doctors do. How is that free health care working out for you? I always thought a great solution to the health care debacle was to have doctors simply take charge of handling all the poor and uninsured. We block grant Medicaid, Medicare funds to the State who sets up free health clinics across the State to help the uninsured and everybody getting government assistance.

By the way:

Average Lawyers Salary: $50,000 - $100,000

Average Physicians Salary: $150,000 - $300,000

Archived