Rain Water Warning

I do not know what is wrong with the rain water, but here is what I do know.

Since December of 2010 (this pertains to snow melt water also) I have noticed for the first time in my 12 years of testing and using rain water, that there is a problem. It has continued to get worse. The rain water has been 30% to 50% more ppm than it has ever been for me throughout the past 12 years. The water has been much more acidic and my plants do not like it. I can no longer use rain water for the first time. Also, the rain water has had a yellow tint throught this year. It is not uncommon for the first spring rain to have a yellow tint due to the high pollen count in the air, but typically, by early summer the yellow tint no longer appears in the collection tank.

I have run tests on every rain fall this year in Central Michigan. It has not been getting any better. It appears that I will be switching to straight RO water permanently from now on. I am not happy about this at all.

Is there radiation in the water? I believe so, or at least some other contaminant. It would not surprise me at all if the BP oil spill has something do with this.

Are there any other rain water collectors out there that have noticed problems or differences also?

Evening " GrowGoddess "

Long Time , No See ....

What a Busy Summer for many of Us ...

Many Struggles along the way ...

Heat , Hunidity , Electricity , Home Repairs ,

Bad Choice of Friends , and it seems like the list

goes on and on ....

I sure wish you was able to come to my private get

together Saturday ~ August 27th from 10 am to 5pm

Im hoping as soon as i can get my Car Fixed ,

I 'll be able to make it down to support your Compassion Club

and other Clubs ...

I wish i could help you w/ your Rain Problem ....

I'm like Eddie Rabbit ... I love the Rainy Nights :thumbsu:

But wil be Happy to See Summer go Away ...

I sure hope other then your Rain Problem , All is well

w/ You and your Family & Friends ?

Ive Not heard alot from You this Summer ...

But i can understand it gets Busy for Everyone ....

Have not used the rain water for my mm plant but it Ms made my pumpkin plants got nutso. I have one plant that threatened to overtake the yard now if I can get it to produce I only have a single pumpkin on it right now but I have been out there with my paint bush pollenating every day just happy go lucky big j brushing from one flower to the next and back again.

Here's what our friends at the EPA have to say about it.

What is Acid Rain?

"Acid rain" is a broad term referring to a mixture of wet and dry deposition (deposited material) from the atmosphere containing higher than normal amounts of nitric and sulfuric acids. The precursors, or chemical forerunners, of acid rain formation result from both natural sources, such as volcanoes and decaying vegetation, and man-made sources, primarily emissions of sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) resulting from fossil fuel combustion. In the United States, roughly 2/3 of all SO2 and 1/4 of all NOx come from electric power generation that relies on burning fossil fuels, like coal. Acid rain occurs when these gases react in the atmosphere with water, oxygen, and other chemicals to form various acidic compounds. The result is a mild solution of sulfuric acid and nitric acid. When sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides are released from power plants and other sources, prevailing winds blow these compounds across state and national borders, sometimes over hundreds of miles.

origins.gif

Wet Deposition

Wet deposition refers to acidic rain, fog, and snow. If the acid chemicals in the air are blown into areas where the weather is wet, the acids can fall to the ground in the form of rain, snow, fog, or mist. As this acidic water flows over and through the ground, it affects a variety of plants and animals. The strength of the effects depends on several factors, including how acidic the water is; the chemistry and buffering capacity of the soils involved; and the types of fish, trees, and other living things that rely on the water.

Dry Deposition

In areas where the weather is dry, the acid chemicals may become incorporated into dust or smoke and fall to the ground through dry deposition, sticking to the ground, buildings, homes, cars, and trees. Dry deposited gases and particles can be washed from these surfaces by rainstorms, leading to increased runoff. This runoff water makes the resulting mixture more acidic. About half of the acidity in the atmosphere falls back to earth through dry deposition.

Effects of Acid Rain

Acid rain causes acidification of lakes and streams and contributes to the damage of trees at high elevations (for example, red spruce trees above 2,000 feet) and many sensitive forest soils. In addition, acid rain accelerates the decay of building materials and paints, including irreplaceable buildings, statues, and sculptures that are part of our nation's cultural heritage. Prior to falling to the earth, sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxide (NOx) gases and their particulate matter derivatives—sulfates and nitrates—contribute to visibility degradation and harm public health.

How Acid Rain Harms Trees

Acid rain does not usually kill trees directly. Instead, it is more likely to weaken trees by damaging their leaves, limiting the nutrients available to them, or exposing them to toxic substances slowly released from the soil. Quite often, injury or death of trees is a result of these effects of acid rain in combination with one or more additional threats.

Scientists know that acidic water dissolves the nutrients and helpful minerals in the soil and then washes them away before trees and other plants can use them to grow. At the same time, acid rain causes the release of substances that are toxic to trees and plants, such as aluminum, into the soil. Scientists believe that this combination of loss of soil nutrients and increase of toxic aluminum may be one way that acid rain harms trees. Such substances also wash away in the runoff and are carried into streams, rivers, and lakes. More of these substances are released from the soil when the rainfall is more acidic.

However, trees can be damaged by acid rain even if the soil is well buffered. Forests in high mountain regions often are exposed to greater amounts of acid than other forests because they tend to be surrounded by acidic clouds and fog that are more acidic than rainfall. Scientists believe that when leaves are frequently bathed in this acid fog, essential nutrients in their leaves and needles are stripped away. This loss of nutrients in their foliage makes trees more susceptible to damage by other environmental factors, particularly cold winter weather.

How Acid Rain Affects Other Plants

Acid rain can harm other plants in the same way it harms trees. Although damaged by other air pollutants such as ground level ozone, food crops are not usually seriously affected because farmers frequently add fertilizers to the soil to replace nutrients that have washed away. They may also add crushed limestone to the soil. Limestone is an alkaline material and increases the ability of the soil to act as a buffer against acidity.

The democrats and republicans have been spraying us for how long? And you still say one side is better than the other? Wow, they are both killing us with poisons, selling us out to multinational bankers, limiting our freedoms and destroying our country. Both parties. Just as many selling us out in both parties. How can you vote for either one when they are bent on your destruction? Please vote for a person who would protect your individual human rights, like Gary Johnson or Ron Paul. They hate the republicans as much as most of you do but they are trying to get elected. In my opinion GJ is a newer more agressive Ron Paul, more outspoken than Ron on the wars that Obama has expanded from Bush, the legalization of drugs because of the failed and the disingenuous nature of the government and their so-called war on drugs that Obama is continuing. Both parties are against you. Both of them. Both. That is republicans and democrats alike, they are both against you and your individual rights.

This year the choice is more clear than ever between someone who will destroy you and someone who will uphold your rights.

You are going to let party affiliation prevent your choosing wisely, aren't you? Yep, I see it now, "those evil republicans are worse, blah blah, blah" and the band played on...

Please consider joining with me this year and vote for a person who will protect and defend your individual rights, and the rights of each individual human being regardless of group affiliation or non-affiliation.

Gary Johnson for Presfree_people.gifmartin-luther-king-son1.jpg

Ok, I am going to attempt an all in one reply :))

Rhinoman: WOW 127! If mine read that I think I would have a panic attack and invest in a respirator! When my rain water comes off of the roof, even in the spring caked with pollen (pollen from the roof), the ppm measures the same as the rain water that did not come off the roof. My guess is because the partials are not small enough for the ppm tester to detect them? My readings have fluxuated from 17 - 32 ppm.

Mezz: I have not sent in any samples to a lab for a full spectrum test. If I do, it will not be the health department. My neighbor sent a sample from his newly drilled well. It was 50% chlorine and 50% water. They sent back the report that it was cleared for drinking. I just don't trust them after that! Safe to drink 50% chlorine??? Uhhh, I don't think so.

Q-Tipper: Thanks for the tips! (No pun intended, but it fit so well) ;) I have had a sneaking suspicion that there was something up with those jets. I believe that video carries truth.

Bisharoo: You are right, our government and big businesses have been selling us out for a long time now. Including our health and our future.

Wild Bill: Thanks for the information, which is also valuable.

BigJ: Hmmmm, not sure what is up with your pumpkin patch, maybe you have the one and only Great Pumpkin? :D I sure wish my mm plants felt the same way as your pumpkin. If one of my plants dominated the grow room, I would be one happy camper.

Timmahh: Unfortunately, I believe you are right. Our rainwater is not going to be getting any better.

Tarzan: I saved you for last. It has been a tough summer for me as well with some remodeling projects and such. Trying to get my life sorted out. Otherwise, my family and I are doing well. You are the first to mention anything about the Mt. Pleasant CC here online. For starters, it was not my club, it was started by Brandon, and I just stepped in and offered to help. In the spring I informed Brandon that I needed to step down. Life got a bit crazy for me, I had a lot of things that needed attention and no longer had time for the club. I am not sure what plans Brandon has for the club, I am not even sure he has had any meetings since I left. I haven't heard. As for the website, I needed to change hosting companies due to some bad luck, and I had to completely rebuild the site from scratch. I am not quite done with it yet either. During the hosting transfer, it seems I have also lost the message board. The website is now called CCHUB as I am not sure there even is a Mt. Pleasant CC anymore. No drama or arguing, it was a very smooth exit. I have been online more recently here chatting and posting. Trying to stay connected. Now that I have solved some of my home issues and have a bit more free time and resources, instead of working with a club, I am going to put my focus on helping a cancer patient.

Here is something else to consider relative to our rainwater. Due to pollution and such, the pH in the oceans is becoming more acidic. I am sure that will eventually create some negative effects inland.

When it comes to pollution, I think we are all KNEE DEEP IN THE HOOPLA, the economy too. :o

Thank you all for your replies. Forgive me if I have forgotten anyone. I hope more peeps can add to this topic.

We know two Patients who use rain water captured and filtered in the rain barrel and have not had any issues with plant health. Both used plans found on youtube, I'm not sure of total costs but they seem to be working fine.

This is an interesting idea...There are many, many, diy videos to pick and choose from and you can glean information and make your own custom system relatively cheap. Remember Habitat For Humanity sells all sorts of plumbing supplies very, very cheap.

I do have some rainwater left from last year I put into storage, and it is much more clear than this year's rainwater. I won't even bother to store any of the rainwater from this year.

It is not making my plants drop dead or anything, but I can tell they are reacting to it in a negative manner. This will be the first time for me getting used to using mostly RO water. The RO water will require organic additives.

I sure wish I had a storage system like in that video, then I wouldn't need to worry about my water for a while, maybe a year or two. :)

I'm stumped here? I just captured 50 gallons or so of rain water and my plants are responding well, and potted vegetables are doing great, I tested the PH and each test shows PH 6.0-6.3 which is fine to use. Haven't done a PPM test but I might filter this stuff if your saying there is toxicity in the water.

I'm stumped here? I just captured 50 gallons or so of rain water and my plants are responding well, and potted vegetables are doing great, I tested the PH and each test shows PH 6.0-6.3 which is fine to use. Haven't done a PPM test but I might filter this stuff if your saying there is toxicity in the water.

First, I should apologize for not being more specific in the beginning.

In vegative growth I have not noticed any problems. However, in flowering, I have noticed problems, especially after the fourth week. It is not effecting all of my strains, but it is drastically effecting one of them. A strain that I have been growing for many years, primarily using rain water. I am confident it is the water. Specifically the rain water.

As for filtering rain water, I really don't know if that would help.

GG, I have sometimes noticed differences when using rain water over ground water. Most all of our ground water in MI has calcium carbonate. After all most of MI was a sea at one time so it makes sense that those old sea shells show up as calcium carbonate. I noticed this from testing ground soil for PH. I'm surrounded by oak and pine trees notorious for low ph but my ground ph is always around 7, same for a wide area around me.(miles in fact) Plus north of Alpena they mine limestone and in Alabaster they mine gypsum. This only reinforces the ph question.

Rain water usually does not have calcium. You might want to try a pinch of dolomite lime in your water or a shot of cal mag. I personally have not noticed any problems using rain water after i started adding crab meal (calcium carbonate) to my soil mix. Hope this helps.... good luck.....shredder

Here is a photo of rain water just collected with last night's rain. The can was completely clean and ready. Normally I get this color with the spring rains, but by this time of year the rain water is generally clear.

http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/uploads/1314194426/gallery_6117_364_6760.jpg

I am not just concerned with my plants, but I do have concern for our health.

GG, I have sometimes noticed differences when using rain water over ground water. Most all of our ground water in MI has calcium carbonate. After all most of MI was a sea at one time so it makes sense that those old sea shells show up as calcium carbonate. I noticed this from testing ground soil for PH. I'm surrounded by oak and pine trees notorious for low ph but my ground ph is always around 7, same for a wide area around me.(miles in fact) Plus north of Alpena they mine limestone and in Alabaster they mine gypsum. This only reinforces the ph question.

Rain water usually does not have calcium. You might want to try a pinch of dolomite lime in your water or a shot of cal mag. I personally have not noticed any problems using rain water after i started adding crab meal (calcium carbonate) to my soil mix. Hope this helps.... good luck.....shredder

I have been collecting rain water for a long time, this is strange, I have never seen this before.

I began using the rain water because the pH was always between 6.5 and 6.8. Lately it has been between 5 and 6. My well water is very high, off the charts. Your ground water being around 7 is pretty impressive actually.

New roof? Leaves in gutters? Rusty nail somewhere? There is pollen in the air right now, golden rod, rag weed, corn and more are flowering right now.

My water from the gutter is yellow like that but clear where it drips off the roof, I just figured there were leaves in the gutter, and have been using the water without problems......shredder

New roof? Leaves in gutters? Rusty nail somewhere? There is pollen in the air right now, golden rod, rag weed, corn and more are flowering right now.

My water from the gutter is yellow like that but clear where it drips off the roof, I just figured there were leaves in the gutter, and have been using the water without problems......shredder

No, don't have gutters, water drips right off the roof. First time I have encountered this issue. That is why it concerns me so much.

I have been using unfiltered rainwater on my plants since June in Northwestern Michigan, and haven't noticed any problems. The tomato plants are doing well with it also. Our municipal system drinking water comes from Grand Traverse Bay, so I've been drinking rain water too, though the water dept. filters it, etc. first. This thread has got me thinking about switching to r/o water for flowering, though.

Archived