Frist Time Dwc Journal

Stewedscrewed

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was looking at my veg room today and thought man that's a lonely bubble bucket. So I think I'm ordering a industrely size pump and am going to start a few more.

75043516.jpg

after rereading this thread and looking over the pictures i have to comment on the cleanness of your room. Im not busting your balls but i think your problems start in your room not this bucket. To be a success in water u need to have everything in contact with your buckets clean.

Look at the floor i see both algee and bacteria growning on it. Bacteria is a spore like mold it can become airborn. do u have a uv filter on your air pump --of cource not(nobody does) so the air your pulling into your buckets is probably where this came from, or your tools u use. If your going to stay in water u better adopt some sterilization habits.

I'm not taking it as busting balls at all. This is why I started the thread. So people could point out things I'm missing. Mind you I mop the floor twice month, it is some what stained, but some of that is fresh and apparently needs to be takin care of. Green I appreciate all the helpful thoughts and tips! Keep them coming.

Hell ya! I would also like to see a frugal DWC farmer thread. :thumbsu: It would be a great spot to list DIY or alert others of deals / sales on common DWC items (air blocks, etc) :rock:

Cool,

I was, concerned that I would sound like some kind of a nut(my wife says that's not hard for me to do).

I know that MMMA did have a McGiver thread but it didn't get many hits. I just think that we can find recipe's for hydro bud-suger that WE can make & save money. Because, let's face it:

Money is becoming scarcer and scarcer in our family budgets.

I found H2O2 to be quite expensive relatively. What I mean is, I paid like around 12 buck for a little pint of 35% H2o2. Now that makes a 11 to 1 ratio if you are wantin like 3% that like gives you 11 pints & good for like 'one' hospital bucket/tent for your sick plant.

Keep in mind, that H2o2 will go back to its natural element N & O in a few days so then its used up. Oxegen is really the best cure for roots i find and just plain ole washing slime/roots rotting off in a tub with fine water mist to get all of that gunk off is the most important.

I do want to pony up for aquashield next grow. I just think that it's good to have around. I don't think I need to use in my precious flowering plants most of the time. But I'd like to have something to put in water to doctor them roots should they need it.

I also am a fan of that Macoriazzy Fungi? SPELLING SUCKS! Anyhow,,I want that stuff & keep in mind, I'm not talking useing this stuff all the time,,I'm gonna try to use it 'as needed'.

Because I find that, whenever I buy stuff like Rhino or Silic blast, i seem to have the mindset that I have to put that into every feeding,,and I'm starting to re-think that notion.

Well I had to pull the plug on this plant. I was forced to leave town for a few days ( family emergency) when o got home the roots where covered in grey slime and the plant looked awful. I threw it out before I took a picture. Sorry after I get a min and can clean everything I will be starting another plant in this thread. Running the same program. Thanks for all the support.

darn...bummer....

It happens man, hopefully you'll have better luck on the next one. I don't know where you're at but if you need any seeds to get a new one started I've got a few extra laying around you can have and they're all solid genetics. I won't have time to use them any time soon so if you need any just shoot me a PM.

darn...bummer....

It happens man, hopefully you'll have better luck on the next one. I don't know where you're at but if you need any seeds to get a new one started I've got a few extra laying around you can have and they're all solid genetics. I won't have time to use them any time soon so if you need any

just shoot me a PM.

Thanks moterbuds, I'll definitely keep that in mind. A of mine gave me a butt load of eq today so I think I'm going to build a third room and run a 12 site hydro set up. Hope I have better luck. It won't screw up my perpetual harvest so even if I lose them I'll be fine.

On another note can u recommend a good way to clean my coco balls? I use a toilet bowl cleaner in my cloner and it works great you think that will work or just a miled bleak and water.

Guest Mr_Smith

Ok, now that you decided to leave the bleach in the laundry room.. :lol:

I think you should switch off between sm-90 and h202 weekly. This combined with decent water temps and you should be just fine.

Some plants do require cal/mag even when using lucas at full strength. The issue you saw on that plant you posted a pic of a while ago was a calcium def. Most likely not caused by the pythium problem because it was not horrible in the first place and a calcium def is not going to be the only def that shows up when problems are being caused by pythium.

Edited for punctuation.

Ok, now that you decided to leave the bleach in the laundry room.. :lol:

I think you should switch off between sm-90 and h202 weekly. This combined with decent water temps and you should be just fi

Some plants do require cal/mag even when using lucas at full strength. The issue you saw on that plant you posted a pic of a while ago was a calcium def. Most likely not caused by the pythium problem because it was not horrible in the first place and a calcium def is not going to be the only def that shows up when problems are being caused by .

Edited for punctuation.

Hey Mr smith sorry I missed u yesterday. I appreciate all the help. I obviously can use all of it I can get.

I'm sure you'll have better luck now that temps are down. Your res will remain much cooler now.

Since you're gonna run H2O2 and Sm-90 don't waste your money on any "live" additives since you'll now be running a sterile res.

Read back though this thread now that you're not in the thick of it and you'll see that you were getting advise to add live agents followed by a suggestion to use something that kills all those live goodies. Everyone had good intentions but no one seemed to see the contradictions between running live annd running sterile. VERY confusing!

There are two typef of res in DWC: Live and Sterile. If you're gonna run sterile then keep it sterile and don't flip-flop between live and sterile. Stick with it.

I've had better luck with live (the name Deep Water Culture implies a live res) and wouldn't ya know it- the less I monkeyed with it and let it seek it's own natural balalnce of live goodies, lo and behold, things went better. Don't get me wrong though- a sterile res can work just fine too. A little more work perhaps- more res changes and LOTS of sanitizing but in your case it's only one bucket so no biggie. When I was running 30 gallon totes in a walkout basment wiht no drain you can see why I switched over to live res. I was able to go 2-3 weeks between res changes. Rather than smelling like a clorinated pool my res smelled, literally, like a lake. Not a stagnant swamp but a lake. A very pleasant "natural" smell VERY reminiscent of a fresh nice healthy pond. My plants grew better, I had less health issues, Got used to watching Ph move through it's natural swings (and NOT freaking out!), spent way less on nutes and additives. Much less pumping nutes down the driveway. I've got THE greenest gravel drive in the state!

Since then I've gone back to my tried and true 20+ year old method: A simple top-feed using nothing but 1/4" hoses pumped over rockwool 15 minutes every hour and drained immediately back to the res. Freakin' hammers them towards the sky and never a clogged nozzle, no valves, nothing but a bucket, a pan, and a pump. Primitve, reliable and very effective. I DID enjoy my forays into DWC but at the end of the day I'm willing to bet you stick with your soil growing just as I went back to my old top-feeder. In any case it sure is fun learning albeit expensive sometimes!

I'm really looking forward to see how this next bucket goes for you.

Best of luck- let 'er rip!

-genEric

P.S. Bleach is fine. I put battery acid into my veg res almost daily too. You don't wanna know what gors into the flowering res. Not for the squeamish! ;-)

Gen Eric thanks for the reply. I don't think I'll ever stop growing in soil. I'm going to mes around with the dwc and maybe even try top feeding. I'm just trying to have a little fun with it. I don't think Ill be putting any battery acid in my res any time soon. I must say I have never herd that used. May I ask what it does?

On another note still not seeing the new roots they have not shown there face yet. Hoping tomorrow will be the day. Peace

Battery acid=Sulphuric acid. Dilute it down one part acid to eight parts water and you've got a nice "Ph Down" for about 1/10th the price of the hydro store.

Phosphoric acid is available at Home Depot under the name of a special cleaner (memory fails me at this late hour). Same thing- dilute it down with water for another fine PH Down. A little more expensive than Sulphuric but still a money saver.

I use Sulphuric during veg and Phosphoric during flowering. Not sure it matters but that's how i was taught many moons ago...

SAFETY NOTE:

NEVER pour water into acid. Always add the acid to your water slowly. ALWAYS wear rubber gloves and ALWAYS wear eye protection.

Never say never! Next time you're spending $25.00 for a gallon of pretty-colored PH Down you might decide, instead, to put a little battery acid into your res ;-)

Works for me!

Enjoy your grows!

genEric

Phosphoric acid is available at Home Depot under the name of a special cleaner (memory fails me at this late hour). Same thing- dilute it down with water for another fine PH Down. A little more expensive than Sulphuric but still a money saver.

Not sure if it is the same, but at Fleet Farm they have something called "milk stone remover" which is phosphoric acid. Does Home Depot have the same stuff?

Not sure if it is the same, but at Fleet Farm they have something called "milk stone remover" which is phosphoric acid. Does Home Depot have the same stuff?

I've seen mention of milk stone remover but have not researched it. There *might* be other ingredients.

Next time I go to town I'll swing into Home Depot and get the exact name of the cleaner that is nothing more than 100% phosphoric acid. It's on the tip of my tongue. For some reason I'm drawing a mental blank. Bear with me...

If you pin down the info on milk stone remover please post.

Thanks,

genEric

Compost tea will cure your root rot, slime issue, guaranteed. And it's the only thing that does. Even if I didn't run RDWC I would still use it. I add it to my NFT and soilless systems and get fast growing and healthy plants.

Thanks for your response, I've been doing my reading and everything I've read say compost tea is the way to go. Just one more person pushing me that way if it happens again. Thanks again

Well we are at a week since I planted my new clone. She is still alive and has new growth, but still no sign of roots. She looks healthy and had a nice root ball when I planted her. Wonder what's taking so long. I guess I'll just have to be patient. On another note it's the day for me to change my res, and wonder if I should still use half strength nuets seeing as there is no visible sign of roots?

• 1 month later...

Archived