Lawmakers Revisit Marijuana Legislation

bobandtorey

State lawmakers Mike and Eileen Kowall, both White Lake Republicans, each are connected with a bill addressing medical marijuana.Sen. Mike Kowall’s bill, which is expected to be finished within the month, focuses on the marijuana product.“If medical marijuana is being used, there is no regulation on how it’s grown,”

Kowall said.His wife, Eileen, a state representative, has a bill in the hopper that deals with growing facilities.“It would allow local municipalities to decide if they want one in their community or not,” she said.As Labor Day approaches and the Legislature returns from its summer break, 16 medical marijuana-related bills await decisions, according to a list prepared by the Marijuana Policy Project, online at www.mpp.org/states/michigan.Add

to that pile recent medical marijuana rulings from courts and Attorney General Bill Schuette’s opinions.It’s a lot to digest.State Rep. Chuck Moss, R-Birmingham, said the Legislature is “long overdue” in making decisions on medical marijuana.“I’m hoping the Legislature gets to work on it,” he said. “(The regulations) have got to be codified.State Rep. Marty Knollenberg, R-Troy, said he is aware of the many bills under consideration.

“I believe we’ll take them up this fall,” he said.Several Oakland County legislators have latched onto some aspect of medical marijuana regulation.State Rep. Tim Melton, D-Pontiac,

said the drug should be handled by pharmacists.“It makes sense to me,” he said. “People just don’t set up Xanax shops, for example. It’s properly dispensed State Rep. Gail Haines, R-Lake Angelus,

said she has sponsored a bill that requires cardholders to have picture ID on their cards“Constituents recognize that the original act was not written as well as it could be,” she said. “I’m interested in clarifying the bill so that innocent people (who need it) will benefit from the drug.Knollenberg is backing a bill that says anyone with a felony would be prohibited from being a caregiver“Some folks who got into the (medical marijuana) business loosely interpreted the law,” he said. “

It’s a risky business to begin with because you’re dealing with a narcotic. Before I’d get into the business, I’d want to make sure it was legal.State Sen. Tom McMillin, R-Rochester Hills, said he isn’t committing himself right now to any particular bill.“I want to make sure not to oppose the will of the voters,” he said. “I’m interested in making sure we don’t spend the new few years with everybody in court. We should try and refine it so people know what is allowed and what is not.”>Mike Kowall favors more regulation.“It’s like the Wild West now,”

he said.But Kowall said one of the impediments is that medical marijuana advocates are disorganized and have not chosen one spokesperson.“If we have a meeting, a variety of people show up, including some who have just finished smoking a joint in the parking lot,” he said.“You can smell it on them. That’s not a good way of developing policy.>http://dailytribune....wmode=fullstory

Edited by bobandtorey

State lawmakers Mike and Eileen Kowall, both White Lake Republicans, each are connected with a bill addressing medical marijuana. Sen. Mike Kowall’s bill, which is expected to be finished within the month, focuses on the marijuana product. If medical marijuana is being used, there is no regulation on how it’s grown,” Kowall said. His wife, Eileen, a state representative, has a bill in the hopper that deals with growing facilities. “It would allow local municipalities to decide if they want one in their community or not,” she said. As Labor Day approaches and the Legislature returns from its summer break, 16 medical marijuana-related bills await decisions, according to a list prepared by the Marijuana Policy Project, online at www.mpp.org/states/michigan. Add to that pile recent medical marijuana rulings from courts and Attorney General Bill Schuette’s opinions. It’s a lot to digest. State Rep. Chuck Moss, R-Birmingham, said the Legislature is “long overdue” in making decisions on medical marijuana. “I’m hoping the Legislature gets to work on it,” he said. “(The regulations) have got to be codified.” State Rep. Marty Knollenberg, R-Troy, said he is aware of the many bills under consideration. "I believe we’ll take them up this fall,” he said. Several Oakland County legislators have latched onto some aspect of medical marijuana regulation. State Rep. Tim Melton, D-Pontiac, said the drug should be handled by pharmacists. "It makes sense to me,” he said. “People just don’t set up Xanax shops, for example. It’s properly dispensed.” State Rep. Gail Haines, R-Lake Angelus, said she has sponsored a bill that requires cardholders to have picture ID on their cards. “Constituents recognize that the original act was not written as well as it could be,” she said. “I’m interested in clarifying the bill so that innocent people (who need it) will benefit from the drug.” Knollenberg is backing a bill that says anyone with a felony would be prohibited from being a caregiver. “Some folks who got into the (medical marijuana) business loosely interpreted the law,” he said. “It’s a risky business to begin with because you’re dealing with a narcotic. Before I’d get into the business, I’d want to make sure it was legal.” State Sen. Tom McMillin, R-Rochester Hills, said he isn’t committing himself right now to any particular bill. “I want to make sure not to oppose the will of the voters,” he said. “I’m interested in making sure we don’t spend the new few years with everybody in court. We should try and refine it so people know what is allowed and what is not.” Mike Kowall favors more regulation. “It’s like the Wild West now,” he said. But Kowall said one of the impediments is that medical marijuana advocates are disorganized and have not chosen one spokesperson. “If we have a meeting, a variety of people show up, including some who have just finished smoking a joint in the parking lot,” he said. “You can smell it on them. That’s not a good way of developing policy.” http://dailytribune....wmode=fullstory[/b]

this will make it an easier read.

Edited by Timmahh

No offense is taken. Part of being a good doctor is standing for your patients. Be it with an insurance company denying care or a politician denying access. As for this issue, I speak when I am asked to speak, but I generally do it as an outsider fighting for my patients. The folks running this are advocates. I am not only not an officer here, I'm not really even a member, just a contributing guest. If the things I discuss help folks, that is great. I do appreciate the fact someone even tossed my name out there though.

Dr. Bob

no offense to Dr. Bob because he is a warrior in his own right but i do believe Joe Cain and Michael Komorn to be the spokes people of choice for myself. i want Dr's to fix me not bargain for me and people whom bargain to do my bargaining. jmo

Maybe all 3 then. I vote for DR. Bob because it is MEDICAL marijuana. Maybe not for the bargaining aspect, but he could interpret studies and show them the medical aspect. Same aspect, I wouldn't want lawyer's determining my medical care. But the main point is, they made a good point. I understand it is legal to medicate, but you have to be able to play to the public. It may not be right, but that argument goes for many things. You wouldn't show up for a job interview smelling of it wearing camo shorts and a wife beater. (well, depending on the job..lol) People shouldn't be judged for things like this, but the fact is they are, and in the end this is OUR law. If 63% of the voters voted for it, and this is the best we can give for representation, they aren't going to take us seriously. Again, not trying to argue, or say that it is the right way, just stating that is how it is.

Tim Melton, D-Pontiac, said the drug should be handled by pharmacists. "It makes sense to me,” he said. “People just don’t set up Xanax shops, for example. It’s properly dispensed.”

Please see the Montana PBS video, and apply the knowledge we have already gained about the need for a smoked or vaped herbal cannabis. now, combine that with the fact that there is no functional lethal dose. Then, combine all that with the Vitriol you politicians since Anslinger have created in the Big Pharma hegemony the medical establishment is under. There is NO WAY i could trust our medicine to the same establishment that combined fear and hatred for our medicine with the 'do no harm' motto. Yeah, Tim, it makes sense to you, because you understand exactly NONE of the realities around cannabis.

Mike Kowall favors more regulation. “It’s like the Wild West now,” he said. But Kowall said one of the impediments is that medical marijuana advocates are disorganized and have not chosen one spokesperson. “If we have a meeting, a variety of people show up, including some who have just finished smoking a joint in the parking lot,” he said. “You can smell it on them. That’s not a good way of developing policy.”

Okay, i am NOT gonna go off. i am not gonna go off. i am not gonna go off.

Well, maybe i will. i just got done running a little test. i took one person of a 4 person team, and had them regularly smoke cannabis. one of them had regular cannabis intake for months, including a fair 'wake and bake' with lunch breaks to re-up. the other three had no cannabis. the one that did get the cannabis, outperformed all of the other team members on every statistic taken on their performance each month. That person also came up with at least three ideas that have gone on to save their company money, and improve workplace cohesiveness. furthermore, that person also took one week and committed themselves to being on the same average as the rest of their team. they had to actively try to not do work to maintain the level of performance of their co-workers.

so, in short, Mike, don't make me pit an otherwise sharp person on cannabis in policy development against you. you WILL lose. your argument was ridiculous and understands nothing about the way cannabis works in the mind. your comments only show your prejudice, and say NOTHING about the abilities or inabilities of cannabis users. Michiganders - unite against stupidity, prejudice, and GREED!

Edited by 1337Gr33n

“It’s a risky business to begin with because you’re dealing with a narcotic."

What? Marijuana a narcotic? I would liken it more to an herb or spice that has interesting side effects, but a narcotic?

“People just don’t set up Xanax shops, for example. It’s properly dispensed.”

Xanax and all prescription drugs for that matter have an element of danger associated with them. That's why they are prescribed. Marijuana has zero element of danger, so why does it need to be prescribed? Someone could get into your prescription cabinet and potentially die by ingesting the drugs therein. Someone could get into your cannabis drawer and experience no ill effects from consuming the contents, no matter how much is in there. So explain to me again why cannabis should require a prescription and dispensing via a pharmacy.

These idiots are so far out of touch with reality. What the state legislature needs to do first is to bring all their members up to speed on the realities of cannabis. They need to be educated about the hard facts and scientific evidence regarding cannabis. Unfortunately, Republicans don't believe in science and facts. They prefer to make decisions based on the emotions of fear and greed. We would still be healing people through prayer, bloodletting, and leaches if they could have their way. Seriously ignorant bunch those Republicans.

"Mr. Cannabis, I know narcotics, and you sir are no narcotic."

Edited by amish4ganja

most of them think they're God and dont listen to a word a patient says to them. its the classic do as i say and be quiet syndrome.

Well, I have to somewhat disagree with that part. (Although, I've been to one or two that really treated me like I was just cattle). Being in the medical field myself, I can't tell you how many times I wish I could have told a patient to just shut up..lol It's called practicing medicine for a reason, you have to take the signs and symptoms and start somewhere. In the service, the first step is Drink water and take Motrin..lol Then if they come back you start digging deeper. You have to weed out the whiners vs. real patients. I find that the patients usually for some reason think they know more than the doctor (then why did you come to us again...lol) I'm not a doctor, and my medical "field" sometimes is really a field.. So I may be a little harsher than most when it comes to my opinion on that..lol

I would like to disagree with that 100%. I know I can go and get any kind of medication I want to. This will be prescribed by a doctor, picked up at a pharmacy. And heck, may even be paid for by the taxpayers. The sad part is I am 95% healthy (back hurts once in a while and I am overweight a little..lol)

If that isn't a Pill shop, I don't know what is.

we need a new 'dirty word' for pills. start to give them the distance they deserve. i take three of them a day. they are helpful to me. medicine of all kinds can be embraced. but i am flat out tired of vacillating between pretending that pills are a godsend, and cannabis is the devil weed. on the flip side, i don't actually believe that pills are of the devil, and cannabis is always and only good. i will leave such thinking to politicians who act like they have borderline personality disorders with all of their angels/demons and Madonnas/whores.

Pills can cure and/or help, and pills can kill. cannabis can cure and/or help, and cannabis cannot functionally kill on its own (as pills can). in both scenarios, you need to have a person doing the acting, against common wisdom. it will help us to not use the same uninformed fear-based rhetoric those who fight us use. we have reality, fact, and science on our side. we don't need bullsheet arguments. and we need medicine based in science and compassion, not rhetoric based on idiocy.

before i respond i want to make it perfectly clear that I dont think Dr. Bob would EVER sell us out for $$ EVER given his track record with the mmj community. i do however believe the majority of dr's would sell us out to the highest bidder and not lose a nights sleep over it, they do it every day with big pharma as well as the lawmakers. i have a real trust issue with dr's in general, most of them think they're God and dont listen to a word a patient says to them. its the classic do as i say and be quiet syndrome.

Of course I wouldn't. But just out of curiosity, what are they offering...lol...daddy needs a new plane.

Dr. Bob

I would like to disagree with that 100%. I know I can go and get any kind of medication I want to. This will be prescribed by a doctor, picked up at a pharmacy. And heck, may even be paid for by the taxpayers. The sad part is I am 95% healthy (back hurts once in a while and I am overweight a little..lol)

If that isn't a Pill shop, I don't know what is.

Every town has a 'pill doctor'. If they get caught and lose their ability to dispense controlled substances, they are out of a job. Unfortunately, you may have noted that I always recommend you check for a DEA registration on any doctor you go to for a certification. Those that don't have it generally have a reason they don't have one. They tend to look for fast buck schemes to make a living...get my drift. Recall I asked another certification clinic in here to name their doctors, and they refused. There is a reason they refused. That reason can be found on the licensure look up with the medical board.

Each doctor has two licenses, one to practice medicine and the other to prescribe controlled substances in Michigan (this is separate from a DEA number, but if you don't have a DEA you can't get a state cs-3 license). Both the medical and cs-3 license can be found with an on line look up of the doctors name at this site:

http://www7.dleg.state.mi.us/free/

Try it with my name, Robert Townsend, DO.

DEA registration is not required to certify patients for MMJ. But a lack of one or a history of problems with the Board are a red flag sure to be exploited by a prosecutor. Words to the wise.

Dr. Bob

GREAT info, Doc. Thanks!

Yes it is, thank you. Hopefully this will stay up. Last time the other practice complained and the info was taken down. I put it up for patient protection without naming names. Patients need to make sure they are protected, starting with the doctor. They also have a right to know who they are dealing with.

Dr. Bob

PS, it is more than that really, it is a matter of who we have to carry our banner. We want our best and most qualified out front leading the charge.

hello all

yes agree we do need people to talk for us and give our message to those who will or will not listen... bb is one of the best speaker and shows his passion in it... micheal has always been very good at working within the legal system with his outstanding advice... i do think we need doctors to stand up also that understand its about the patients... who better to round off this small group than dr bob's years of insight into this and years working with in this... these gentleman all have the knowledge to work this if those in office would work with them... i could support this if these people are willing to use there voices for us all and i know they all have listened to us here and have made some changes in there thinking because of us... this shows respect for each of us with there open ears... there are ones who have shown themselves to want things and tried to do things that have hurt us all... these people have the money and will use it to there gain... those people are like the ones we have to battle every day... lets get ones who want to support this as we want them too... open your ears talk with us and try to understand us... then take this to those who need to hear us... lets show the politicians we have the better way of working with people out here not like they are... doing things for there will and not the peoples will... we need to show them working for the people is better than work with out them... again im not much of a writer but i have thoughts and feelings and most of the time see things simple my down fall... hope others can see this for what im hoping to get those to understand we need them and there support... as well as we need to support them and it is not always money that helps... sometimes its nice to be an ear for them to talk and sometimes if you listen you may have more in common than this battle... ive found most professionals would like to socialize but we often make them feel uncomfortable around us be cause were asking them ? thats for our gain and not be social with them... it would be nice to get to just talk about them and learn about there families beyond the professional work they do... there people with the same feelings we all have... time to let work be for work and social fun be just that... they also need time away from this and dont have a lot of good places for them to feel comfortable and also be with the ones there helping if they want to... anyway i may have been way off point but this is how i feel... thanks all of you who keep trying and helping us...

abbe

hello all

yes agree we do need people to talk for us and give our message to those who will or will not listen... bb is one of the best speaker and shows his passion in it... micheal has always been very good at working within the legal system with his outstanding advice... i do think we need doctors to stand up also that understand its about the patients... who better to round off this small group than dr bob's years of insight into this and years working with in this... these gentleman all have the knowledge to work this if those in office would work with them... i could support this if these people are willing to use there voices for us all and i know they all have listened to us here and have made some changes in there thinking because of us... this shows respect for each of us with there open ears... there are ones who have shown themselves to want things and tried to do things that have hurt us all... these people have the money and will use it to there gain... those people are like the ones we have to battle every day... lets get ones who want to support this as we want them too... open your ears talk with us and try to understand us... then take this to those who need to hear us... lets show the politicians we have the better way of working with people out here not like they are... doing things for there will and not the peoples will... we need to show them working for the people is better than work with out them... again im not much of a writer but i have thoughts and feelings and most of the time see things simple my down fall... hope others can see this for what im hoping to get those to understand we need them and there support... as well as we need to support them and it is not always money that helps... sometimes its nice to be an ear for them to talk and sometimes if you listen you may have more in common than this battle... ive found most professionals would like to socialize but we often make them feel uncomfortable around us be cause were asking them ? thats for our gain and not be social with them... it would be nice to get to just talk about them and learn about there families beyond the professional work they do... there people with the same feelings we all have... time to let work be for work and social fun be just that... they also need time away from this and dont have a lot of good places for them to feel comfortable and also be with the ones there helping if they want to... anyway i may have been way off point but this is how i feel... thanks all of you who keep trying and helping us...

abbe

:thumbsu::goodjob:

All you need to read is the ignorant statement by the knob calling himself a senator who thinks he's a doctor. A narcotic, ha! A drug, ha! What ignorant fools. Depend on them to make things right and we're the fools.

"It’s a risky business to begin with because you’re dealing with a narcotic." State Sen. Tom McMillin, R-Rochester Hills.

They don't want to talk with us, they don't want to listen to us, they don't care. It's foolish to think they do.

Time to stop wishing & dreaming, hoping they'll come around. Better wake up. It's not gonna happen.

Time to stop playing silly games and get to work. Cannabis legalization on the Nov 2012 ballot in Michigan is the only intelligent choice. There is no other solution.

All you need to read is the ignorant statement by the knob calling himself a senator who thinks he's a doctor. A narcotic, ha! A drug, ha! What ignorant fools. Depend on them to make things right and we're the fools.

"It’s a risky business to begin with because you’re dealing with a narcotic." State Sen. Tom McMillin, R-Rochester Hills.

They don't want to talk with us, they don't want to listen to us, they don't care. It's foolish to think they do.

Time to stop wishing & dreaming, hoping they'll come around. Better wake up. It's not gonna happen.

Time to stop playing silly games and get to work. Cannabis legalization on the Nov 2012 ballot in Michigan is the only intelligent choice. There is no other solution.

I agree the only way for Medical Marihuana to work for all of us is to Legalize it for all

we need a new 'dirty word' for pills. start to give them the distance they deserve. i take three of them a day. they are helpful to me. medicine of all kinds can be embraced. but i am flat out tired of vacillating between pretending that pills are a godsend, and cannabis is the devil weed. on the flip side, i don't actually believe that pills are of the devil, and cannabis is always and only good. i will leave such thinking to politicians who act like they have borderline personality disorders with all of their angels/demons and Madonnas/whores.

Pills can cure and/or help, and pills can kill. cannabis can cure and/or help, and cannabis cannot functionally kill on its own (as pills can). in both scenarios, you need to have a person doing the acting, against common wisdom. it will help us to not use the same uninformed fear-based rhetoric those who fight us use. we have reality, fact, and science on our side. we don't need bullsheet arguments. and we need medicine based in science and compassion, not rhetoric based on idiocy.

You have to stop confusing them with all your “facts”. Facts are a betrayal of their beliefs which are at the core of their world view.

We live in a world right now where people still think that stars from millions of light years away have some sort of influence on our daily lives.

When I’ve debated prohibition with some people, countering everything they claim with established facts, and they end the debate with “Well, that may be true but I still believe…” then I can see how massive the climb is to being able to reason with people on what’s real and what works.

We just have to wait till a few of those old dumb asses retire or die! Some people have been so jaded by propaganda they can’t think about truth, people who don’t question what they were told when they were 8, much less when grown up.

Maybe Obama’s “scientific approach” will actually happen. One can only hope.