Fantastic Editorial In Today's Lsj, Hugely Critical Of Government Blocking Mm

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20110830/OPINION01/108300309/Marijuana-ruling-adds-confusion?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Opinions|p

In 2008, voters in Michigan clearly indicated they wanted marijuana as an option to treat medical conditions.

In 2011, the state still hasn't respected the wishes of its citizens and elected officials should be held accountable for subverting the voters' intent.

The dithering reflects distaste for medical marijuana in all forms by Michigan's political elites and law enforcement agencies. The state legislature in three years has failed to craft workable laws and policies for regulating marijuana. And court decisions have only confused the matter.

Last week the Michigan Court of Appeals ruled that medical marijuana cannot be sold through private shops, in effect saying the 2008 law and the state's public health code does not allow people to sell pot to each other even if they have state-issued marijuana cards. The three judges issuing the decision were Joel P. Hoekstra, Christopher M. Murray and Cynthia Diane Stephens.

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette was on board immediately. "This ruling is a huge victory for public safety and Michigan communities struggling with an invasion of pot shops near their schools, homes and churches," he said. But what about a reasonable and accessible way to make marijuana available? Schuette says he doesn't know how to do this.

The Appeals Court specifically challenged the issue of selling pot -- an obvious transaction required to provide marijuana to sufferers who legally are entitled.

There is no dispute that the poorly drafted law doesn't address so-called dispensaries. But the law states quite clearly that qualified people can possess up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana and possess up to 12 plants. It is naïve and disingenuous to suggest that some means of exchange wasn't intended by voters.

In Ingham County, Prosecutor Stuart Dunnings III has proceeded cautiously in response to the court ruling and prodding by Schuette. Acknowledging the city of Lansing has allowed medical marijuana businesses to apply for licenses, Dunnings rightly reasoned that the licensed dispensaries have reason to believe their actions -- and business operations -- are legal.

Still throughout the state, dispensaries providing marijuana began closing immediately, stranding patients who use the drug to deal with debilitating conditions.

Clearly the compassion for those suffering exhibited by the people of the state is not shared by the political establishment.

The actions of the Lansing stooges have nothing to do with law enforcement or public safety. It is simply the ones in power making us suffer because they have the power to do so...for now!

Bill Schuette is an absolute disgrace to his office and to the law enforcement community as a whole. He makes all LE look like Nazi SS goons carrying out political opposition cleansing instead of law enforcement.

By the way..Has any one besides me called the DOJ in DC to complain about these malicious prosecutions and over reach by this out of control AG?

U.S. Department of Justice

950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW

Washington, DC 20530-0001

By Phone

Department of Justice Main Switchboard - 202-514-2000

Office of the Attorney General Public Comment Line - 202-353-1555

I'm calling every single day...

That is a very good article. People should question the motivations of this anti campaign.

Please register and post a comment to help educate the masses. I posted the following:

It's a shame that investigative reporting organizations have been gutted in our state. It looks from here like some in power may have conspired to make this law unworkable...against the wishes of the people. I'd love to see more reporting on the true motivators for this anti-medical cannabis campaign. I guess it is not easy though to be critical of the Attorney General, law enforcement, and our judges and I applaud the LSJ for the honesty in this piece.

Polling suggests that the vast majority of Americans want medical marijuana patients protected from arrest and prosecution but our law enforcement agencies, prosecuters, judges, and attorney general insist that the prosecutions, forfeitures, and imprisonment continue. They insist that the war must go on Please ask yourself why that is.

They want to imprison the sick and disabled that read the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act and trusted that this new law would protect them given their choice of medicine, It appears that patients are the ones that have really been duped. Ask yourself why no prosecutors have stepped forward to protect the patients' rights clearly afforded by the act.

I wonder if the Michigan Supreme court is also in on this apparent conspiracy to undo the people's initiative. I guess we'll find out.

:thumbsu:

That is a very good article. People should question the motivations of this anti campaign.

Please register and post a comment to help educate the masses. I posted the following:

It's a shame that investigative reporting organizations have been gutted in our state. It looks from here like some in power may have conspired to make this law unworkable...against the wishes of the people. I'd love to see more reporting on the true motivators for this anti-medical cannabis campaign. I guess it is not easy though to be critical of the Attorney General, law enforcement, and our judges and I applaud the LSJ for the honesty in this piece.

Polling suggests that the vast majority of Americans want medical marijuana patients protected from arrest and prosecution but our law enforcement agencies, prosecuters, judges, and attorney general insist that the prosecutions, forfeitures, and imprisonment continue. They insist that the war must go on Please ask yourself why that is.

They want to imprison the sick and disabled that read the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act and trusted that this new law would protect them given their choice of medicine, It appears that patients are the ones that have really been duped. Ask yourself why no prosecutors have stepped forward to protect the patients' rights clearly afforded by the act.

I wonder if the Michigan Supreme court is also in on this apparent conspiracy to undo the people's initiative. I guess we'll find out.

VERY GOOD Commentary!

My only complaint about the article though, which I wish you would've also mentioned is, someone needs to address is the continued insistence that this law is poorly written. I'm working on the reps on that one. It seems to be an underlying excuse, that's how they justify their tampering with it. We know their real agenda. Thanks for asking The People to Question the motives of those who oppose us.

Sb

My Response

I work with the sick everyday. Tens of thousands of sick and dying patients no longer have access to their medication. The medication that the people voted to the tune of 63% to allow. I don't think any of you folks would want to go through what these terribly sick people are going through right now. Since opiates depend on the liver to metabolize, the active ingredients in opiates, are ineffective in many end stage cancer treatments. Medical Marijuana does not depend on the liver. The Michigan Medical Marijuana Association is giving away free medicine as funds become available. We encourage everyone to help these patients.

This decision was an incredibly evil work. It violated the rules for translating a voters initiative. The judges were jubilant as they played legal scrabble at the expense of so many innocent patients. So many have fought and died for the rule of the people. A very few corrupt elitist have seized control of our government. The people should be angry, not only at this action, but at almost everything this elected bunch of extremist have done. Freedom is precious. It is paid for with the blood of our patriots. How long musty we live under this tyranny.

I am requesting that government and law enforcement officials ignore dictates and defend the people from these extremist..

Please join us in Lansing, on the front steps of the capitol, September 7th, at high noon, to defend the sick and re-establish the rule of law in Michigan.

Dear, Sweet, Compassionate Bb, your heart is in the right place, but I must say, with all due Respect, I wouldn't have said the sentence in bold in a newspaper, though it is a most daring, bold, and courageous act of Compassion. :bighug:

I hope you fixed the typos before sending.

Sincerely, Sb

Archived