Metal Halide On New Plants

bengal

I have a 600 watt metal halide light for starting my grow and I am not sure how to proceed with the lights.

I am growing hempy bucket style and my seedlings are popping up nicely out of the rockwool, I have them in dixie cups with a pelite verm mix. but I do not know how to proceed from here.

1. how soon should I start the lights ?

2. how close should the lights be? ect.. thanks for any advise..

I have a 600 watt metal halide light for starting my grow and I am not sure how to proceed with the lights.

I am growing hempy bucket style and my seedlings are popping up nicely out of the rockwool, I have them in dixie cups with a pelite verm mix. but I do not know how to proceed from here.

1. how soon should I start the lights ?

2. how close should the lights be? ect.. thanks for any advise..

I started mine under a 600 MH the day I put the seeds in the ground. HOWEVER, it was a dimmable and I started at the lowest setting and bumped it up over the first few weeks. If yours is not dimmable, I would wait for some of the true leaves to come up and then set them off to the side of the MH. (i.e corner of the room) and then move them closer and closer every few days.

This is one of those basic questions that will have many different answers. The best way is common sense, think, If I were this plant. However, for me, that wasn't a very far leap..lol If truly uncomfortable throwing them under, put a couple of them and see, then do the rest if things turn out alright. Good luck to you! :thumbsu:

My seedlings have always been under the halide the minute they decide to pop out of the mix.

I have never had any problems doing it this way on many strains. Just make sure there is no heat problem and make sure they can't dry out and you will be ok. I Keep the distance a min. of 30" at this point though. When they pop out of the ground in nature the sun is much brighter and intense than the halide will ever be.

oops, i re-read your post, since they are already up, you will need to gradualy adjust them to the halide. sorry, could have screwed you up

looks like you are getting sound advice as far as the light goes.

I just wanted to give a bit of input from personal experience about hempy's .........

it is almost always, 100% of the time better to put them in their final container from the beginning instead of gradually moving up to larger pot sizes like in soil.

its not going to kill anything by putting them in smaller containers first, but it will save you time because they WILL go through a bit of a shock from being transplanted. best of luck. I hope you keep everyone posted as to your progress.

I just wanted to give a bit of input from personal experience about hempy's .........

it is almost always, 100% of the time better to put them in their final container from the beginning instead of gradually moving up to larger pot sizes like in soil.

its not going to kill anything by putting them in smaller containers first, but it will save you time because they WILL go through a bit of a shock from being transplanted. best of luck. I hope you keep everyone posted as to your progress.

I have started with the rockwool placed in a 12oz. cup ( like a mini hempy bucket ) so I'll only have one transfer. They have popped up a couple of inches with tiny little leaves. Have been placed approx 30" from the lights for about 6 hrs. and are looking good!

THANKS FOR THE ADVISE!!

Kind of throws the the whole theory of: "let it get root bound in a solo cup, then let it get root bound in a medium container, then let in flower and finish in a large container", right out the window ??

My seedlings have always been under the halide the minute they decide to pop out of the mix.

I have never had any problems doing it this way on many strains. Just make sure there is no heat problem and make sure they can't dry out and you will be ok. I Keep the distance a min. of 30" at this point though. When they pop out of the ground in nature the sun is much brighter and intense than the halide will ever be.

oops, i re-read your post, since they are already up, you will need to gradualy adjust them to the halide. sorry, could have screwed you up

Been under the light for a week now, A couple of outer plant leaves plants look a little brown so I have moved them to 40in. away.

Rockwool ( I used mineral wool thermal insulation ) almost looks a little singed from the heat.

How wet should I keep the rockwool?

When I water should I do it thru the rockwool or down the side?

Room is ventilated and has a oscilating tower fan on low. 50% humidity and about 88 degrees in the room.

Is this to hot?

The room is in a basement and one of its wall is cement block , painted flat white. Not sure what to do about the heat!! Bengal

Been under the light for a week now, A couple of outer plant leaves plants look a little brown so I have moved them to 40in. away.

Rockwool ( I used mineral wool thermal insulation ) almost looks a little singed from the heat.

How wet should I keep the rockwool?

When I water should I do it thru the rockwool or down the side?

Room is ventilated and has a oscilating tower fan on low. 50% humidity and about 88 degrees in the room.

Is this to hot?

The room is in a basement and one of its wall is cement block , painted flat white. Not sure what to do about the heat!! Bengal

I am dealing with the heat myself, I just dimmed my veg light. Temp solution for now. But you either need an A/C unit or to ventilate it better. Either get a vented light hood and run that heat out through that. Lot of variables to diagnose on here, but that would be my start.

Archived