Honest Opinions Needed

scatter

Although I've been a reader of this site for a long time, I just registered and made my first post the other night. This spring, I purchased quite a bit of growing equipment, but definitely not enough to get completely up and going. And it will take some time for me to be able to purchase the rest. I got as far as framing in two rooms in my basement, one for growing, and one for finishing. I stopped a few months ago when the whole legal issue of the law started to take front and center in the news. But I kept up by reading and researching about being a caregiver. Some of the info I came across scared the living hell out of me. Abusive patients, people always wanting a lot of free meds, patients threatening caregivers families, turning them in to the authorities, and one even called the licensing board bitching about how much his caregiver was charging. So I made a decision to just sell the stuff I have and forget it. I have enough lights for both stages, a cooling fan for my hood, a ballast, 250 feet of electrical wire, outlets, breakers and some other stuff. I will still need reflective sheeting, growing pots etc. I suffer from 2 completely herniated disc. I don't use mm because I have a CDL I have to protect. So I would be strictly a caregiver. And I'm not going to lie. With me being currently out of work, making a small amount of monthly cash is a motive. But I don't see myself making a lot if I do it the way it's supposed to be done. I would be happy making a few hundred a month after expenses. But I really could only provide for one patient for now. And I'm sure my first few harvests won't be fit for anything until I learn how to grow properly. I haven't sold any of my equipment yet. But I'm feeling a little guilty and stingy. Because now, with the ruling on dispensaries, there are a lot of people who depend on high quality meds who now can't get them. I want to be a caregiver, but I'm afraid of becoming a victim of one these horror stories. I'm a complete novice and would need a patient who could work with me and help me learn. And understand I'm not a master gardener. I'm financially not able to just finish buying everything needed. But I'm sure over the next few months I could finish. But right now. with winter coming we have to buy pellets for our winter heat. House insurance is due and the list goes on. I'm going to ask some of you to put yourself in my shoes and honestly tell me what you would do. My gut says sell the stuff and don't look back. But my conscience says that there are sick people out there that really need help, especially right now. But I'm also concerned about becoming a victim of the law as well. I just don't know what the hell to do. I know how severe my pain is, and for the many people who are much worse off than me that now can't just go to the dispensaries and get their meds. I at least hope this will help drive prices down so patients can afford it a little better. Please give me some hard advice, and don't worry about hurting my feelings. Thanks- Scatter

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go with your Intuition, (gut feeling).

I wouldn't wanna try it now either, even if I could. At least I'd wait till we see what happens with the new bills, we hope we can hold them all off but that may be unrealistic, then we have to see how things will have to be done. Whatever happens, there'll be more court battles, because these bills are unconstitutional. If it weren't for the feds, it wouldn't be such a battle.

Sb

• 3 months later...

I very much enjoy my new job as caregiver.

I walked away from being a woodworker with 2 years of work lined up to do this. I am happy with my decision, but had doubts at times.

Any time you have customers there will be problems. If you interview your patients well and let them do the same to you I think most problems can be avoided.

I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to make a profit at this. With the right patients it is possible.

My first 5 patients all received an ounce a month free, with more as needed.

I went broke for about six months, selling off some coins meant for retirement, while suppling one patient with an ounce equivalent per week, or more, of simpson oil. I accepted this as part of my new job knowing I could be profitable later.

There is room to make a living and still not be a greedy prick about it.

I decided to be a stay at home dad 11 years ago before the economy crashed, trying to install anything is hard when monday thru friday is already booked. Cargiving is way more flexible than most similar paying jobs. That was a big factor for me, I have always liked working at night.

I still agree with another post though, follow your gut. If it feels wrong it probably is. I have avoided legal hassles many time by following my gut.

Good luck whatever you decide.

k... i'l give you the ugly straight dope, as you asked... ;-)

1. it isn't cheap to grow. expect to pay a lot of up front investment & to not see a return for almost half a year.

2. it isn't easy to grow. most are spectacular failures for their first time out, simple truth. many, many, many, just quit after failing the first two times at bat.

3. it isn't easy to get quality. not only does this require the proper gear + the necessary experience, it also requires the proper genetics, which is a task in & of itself... usually requiring for you to 'know someone'.

4. it is still illegal federally, and many local cops still are ignorant to the law if not outright resisting it. even if you are 100% legal, you can still have harassment & potential tear downs & charges & a defense case to worry about.

5. if that isn't enough, unless you are very, very careful in your hiding your practices, someone will come into your home & try to steal from you.

6. even if you get through all of the above, you still have to relieve your excesses... and that is another job entirely, one that is even more unclear than growing. if the quality isn't there, the price won't. if the quality is there, you still need to know people... ones that can use the amounts you produce & afford it simultaneously. it isn't like the money just materializes... or actually grows on the trees! ;-)

this is the straight dope. sure everyone thinks its just some dirt, water, light & then hundred dollar bills start to grow on trees. has anything ever been that easy? it's actually much harder than it seems... and as the market develops & matures, half-assed just won't cut it anymore... so it's only going to get tougher for making a profit.

i run across good-natured people all the time that want to get into things w/o necessarily the profit motive... want to do it for themselves. they soon realize why you pay someone for the services. truth.

"But my conscience says that there are sick people out there that really need help, especially right now. "

Yes this is true but they need help from experienced growers of fine meds. Not a rookie grower who does not know how to grow and wants to learn on the fly, at their patients expense and health. That would not be fair to a patient. A patient deserves quality meds not just meds. I agree with Q-Tipper sell it off.

You have to go all in or not at all in my experience, growing medical herb is a highly skilled trade, you have to have a love for what you do, and as I read your post I am not seeing that. If you really want to help patients help with getting out the vote.

Regards, Ezrah

• 2 weeks later...

I very much enjoy my new job as caregiver.

I walked away from being a woodworker with 2 years of work lined up to do this. I am happy with my decision, but had doubts at times.

Any time you have customers there will be problems. If you interview your patients well and let them do the same to you I think most problems can be avoided.

I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to make a profit at this. With the right patients it is possible.

My first 5 patients all received an ounce a month free, with more as needed.

I went broke for about six months, selling off some coins meant for retirement, while suppling one patient with an ounce equivalent per week, or more, of simpson oil. I accepted this as part of my new job knowing I could be profitable later.

There is room to make a living and still not be a greedy prick about it.

I decided to be a stay at home dad 11 years ago before the economy crashed, trying to install anything is hard when monday thru friday is already booked. Cargiving is way more flexible than most similar paying jobs. That was a big factor for me, I have always liked working at night.

I still agree with another post though, follow your gut. If it feels wrong it probably is. I have avoided legal hassles many time by following my gut.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Hello; I wood; I think your as silly as they come,Oh by the way you got more of them free meds???? I sure could use some bout now!!! The ONLY ones who are giving free is up to NO GOOD ! Take my word for it!! All the rest is sold for top $ or even on the black market!! For real who in these times put out $ for supplies/electric/labor/on......on. They use the real plan the second they get the chance!!!!! They talk a real good game in the start to gdet the hook in ya,Then Pow!$$$$$$$$ they make

on our unspecting butts,Love ya Bro just think about it if it's too good to be true It probably IS.

p

If we can get everyone to patient up and start growing then every house in the land will have the wonderful aroma of mary jane coming from it and the cops won't know what to do. Imagine them walking their drug dog down the sidewalk and it hitting on every house. I think everyone should get a card and I think everyone should qualify because we all get headaches right? So why do we have to reach for an aspirin instead of our PB oil? We should all get to use marijuana for even minor aches and pains and imagine if every house grew one small plant or even just grew it as a houseplant. My old lady used to grow an aloe plant and break off the leaves and use them when the kiddees got burned or what not. Why not grow your marijuana the same way and pinch off a bud when you have a headache.

because the government and big pharmeceutical companies want to have it all to themselves with expensive artificial baloney and keep anything natural outlawed that they cant duplicate and make the big bucks. The FDA and government gives a hoot about health they only see the coin.

Hello; I wood; I think your as silly as they come,Oh by the way you got more of them free meds???? I sure could use some bout now!!! The ONLY ones who are giving free is up to NO GOOD ! Take my word for it!! All the rest is sold for top $ or even on the black market!! For real who in these times put out $ for supplies/electric/labor/on......on. They use the real plan the second they get the chance!!!!! They talk a real good game in the start to gdet the hook in ya,Then Pow!$$$$$$$$ they make

on our unspecting butts,Love ya Bro just think about it if it's too good to be true It probably IS.

Think what you want, I would not want to live in your world.

Not that I have anything to prove to you, but I will be in jackson this sat 1/7 with a patient who has been with me from the begining. One 0z free per month going on 2 years now. Don't take my word for it,you could talk to him.

p

because the government and big pharmeceutical companies want to have it all to themselves with expensive artificial baloney and keep anything natural outlawed that they cant duplicate and make the big bucks. The FDA and government gives a hoot about health they only see the coin.

Thats right and don't think for a minute that some big business isn't making money off of the fda. Being able to contrl the fda is like insider trading. One single decision by the fda can effect the ability of a corporation to make millions of dollars. So you think that corps aren't paying off the fda? If you think that then you are crazy. Every level of government is corrupt. Look a Blagoyavich. They're all the same. I would bet the head of the fda makes millions more per year than his givernment salary and puts it away somewhere off shore. Look at Obama and he made several million last year. And how? Not off his presidential salary.

I am a caregiver.I am a good grower.I still am not gona give a free oz to any ol patient that comes asking...I mean after all, someones gotta pay for it, and patients are the only ones alowd to have it..now there are exceptions to "free" I have a patient who is mostly free.(1 oz free/per/month compensates for anything after, witch is usually very little if anything..1oz is enough for him) BUT I am not gona give anything free short of samples, that costs me money to grow just for the "right" to grow someones plants...Its a matter of do I genuinely believe this persons quality of life will be increased from mm use,that he/she cant afford it and that he/she is actually going to use it and not sell it for there own profit...somethings might sound to good BUT there are good/compassionate people here.

There will always be corruption in positions of power.

k... i'l give you the ugly straight dope, as you asked... ;-)

1. it isn't cheap to grow. expect to pay a lot of up front investment & to not see a return for almost half a year.

2. it isn't easy to grow. most are spectacular failures for their first time out, simple truth. many, many, many, just quit after failing the first two times at bat.

3. it isn't easy to get quality. not only does this require the proper gear + the necessary experience, it also requires the proper genetics, which is a task in & of itself... usually requiring for you to 'know someone'.

4. it is still illegal federally, and many local cops still are ignorant to the law if not outright resisting it. even if you are 100% legal, you can still have harassment & potential tear downs & charges & a defense case to worry about.

5. if that isn't enough, unless you are very, very careful in your hiding your practices, someone will come into your home & try to steal from you.

6. even if you get through all of the above, you still have to relieve your excesses... and that is another job entirely, one that is even more unclear than growing. if the quality isn't there, the price won't. if the quality is there, you still need to know people... ones that can use the amounts you produce & afford it simultaneously. it isn't like the money just materializes... or actually grows on the trees! ;-)

this is the straight dope. sure everyone thinks its just some dirt, water, light & then hundred dollar bills start to grow on trees. has anything ever been that easy? it's actually much harder than it seems... and as the market develops & matures, half-assed just won't cut it anymore... so it's only going to get tougher for making a profit.

i run across good-natured people all the time that want to get into things w/o necessarily the profit motive... want to do it for themselves. they soon realize why you pay someone for the services. truth.

bump, truely honest and great advice. The game is all about Derek Foreal (Blow), do u have one? I just lost mine, and my world is a little wrong footed ATM. Life in the end is about who, not what u know. And who wants to deal w/ U.

Too funny. GO FOR IT DUDE!!!! Don't let people discourage you from anything you feel is right. You know the laws, you know the risks. You have invested money and time and you want to help. You sound like a reasonable person and the only way you will get good is to start. There are haters in every industry and you will always have people tell you what you can't do. Do not deal with people that don't support you and your decisions. People that are in it for the money will be weeded out by patients, not cops. lol

p

sorry you are as silly as they come! my c.g gives all of his pt's free meds, all get an oz free a month,( i get a plant every crop, every 6 weeks) if any one needs more than what is supplyed free there is a cost for more!, if you are a c.g and you are doing it for compassion, do not quit your day job! There is not enough money in it to make a living unless you do the black market like silly said! with that in mind, things are different today than they were before the c.o.a ruling, c.g's used to have dispenses to off their meds to (after taking care of thier pts) and we had farm markets, I know there are a few farm markets now, but Id much rather grow for me and my pt's and make oils, tinctures, medibles with any extra that i find laying around, (or shall I say that is still hanging on that cash tree) than wind up in jail, and leaving my pts dry, not high and dry. but just dry! people that know how to grow and are doing it for them selves any how can most def add a pt or 4 and be able to take care of them with compassion and little compensation!

fact not fiction!

oh by the way, I am a pt with a c.g and im a c.g with pt's! :thumbsu:

Archived