Poll About The Role

patient and caregiver roles  

10 members have voted

1. 1. as a patient who grows my own plants am i also a caregiver?

2. 2. if i am a caregiver/patient then does the act protect me the most?

so it is my contention that there are three roles associated with the medical use of cannabis as it relates to our law.

1) Patient- a sick person who has seen a doctor and has a certificate and all supporting paperwork to be in legal compliance. this person may or may not have possession of their plants, but they hired a caregiver to take care of them.

2) Caregiver- a person who cares for the plants, well-being, and safety of a patient. this person may or may not have possession of the plants but has been hired to tend to them. this person solely as a caregiver may not use cannabis for their own personal use.

3) Patient-Caregiver- a person who takes care of their own plants, provides for their own service and has all their own responsibility to attain the genetics and cannabis they need to meet their own consumption for relief.

it is my contention that #3 is the most protected class, whether you are a caregiver for yourself, or for another patient you are protected the most by the act if you are both a patient, and a caregiver.

Patients are authorized to use cannabis

Caregivers are allowed to tend the cannabis.

if you are going to grow 12 plants, and be authorized to carry 2.5 oz, for a patient then you MUST be registered to each other through the state.

if you are a caregiver you are authorized to help any caregiver or patient who has a card because they also belong to the registry.

we are not only authorized to protect any patient, we are morally bound to help any sick people aren't we? if i see someone suffering and i can help them... i will.... every time...

patients aren't allowed to provide cannabis to other patients they are supposed to be using that medicine not providing it, caregivers are supposed to be the ones dealing with the supply of medicine.

by extension then a patient/caregiver combined has the protections of both categories and is the most protected under the definitions of the act.

I answer this question almost daily..

If you are a patient in possesion of your own plants only.. You are not a caregiver.. to yourself or anyone else.. You are a patient in possesion of your own plants.. To be a caregiver you would have had to fill out a Caregivers attestation and sent it in with the patient application of someone else. you can be a caregiver in possesion of Zero plants or 60 plants if you caregiver for 5 patients.. Right now the lines are being drawn about pt/cg rights so i dont want any patients in possesion of theier own plants to have unneeded trouble because they are confused about "being their own caregiver".. You are only a caregiver if you have filled out a caregivers attestation and sent it in with someone elses application.. Peace out all.. and be safe..

very good answers.

this is why i posted this poll this morning

because there is allot of confusion about the workings of being a caregiver or not.

our law is written to include caregivers and patients, but does not specifically address being your own caregiver and thereby extension be protected under 4(E).

by fact you are, by definition you are not.

Solutions?

->every patient should get a patient so they can be a caregiver? i don't think this was how the law was intended.

->every patient can be protected under 4(E)? then why wasn't it written that way?

->every person who cares for a plant is also a caregiver whether it is for themselves or for another person? and is granted by extension the right to receive compensation and that shall not constitute a sale of a controlled substance?

all these answers are technically grey areas...any could be argued and defended to some degree...

if we can all agree on the answer we can help direct this intention when our leaders face the resistance.

so we are clear and moving in the same direction..

I vote the latter be true. if you are charged with the responsibility of procuring, tending to, and providing cannabis, either for yourself, or for another patient... you should be considered a caregiver, and be protected under4(E)

Well in a perfect world.. but the law is written that only a person who has filled out a caregivers attestation and sent it in with another persons patient application is a caregiver.. PLEASE dont be confused folks..its the background check that the attestation provides that does the trick i assume.. Patients in possession of their own plants only are not caregivers...

an excellent point Annie...

as of right now by definition of the existing law:

-a patient is a patient only, and

-a caregiver is a caregiver for another person.

i saw a person this morning talking about he applied with himself as the caregiver and the state rejected that format so he is confused how to renew.

when this change becomes implemented i vote for option 3... which is to say whomever is responsible for procuring the cannabis for the patient is the caregiver, either ones self, or for another.

i am really glad i posted this because it has helped me direct my thoughts on this subject...

i may have argued differently yesterday...

i listen to our community and try to make sure we are all in some kind of agreement because this is our strength. the layman's interpretation is held when it comes to a jury..

i gotta git...

workin workin time..

PEACE

Yes.. you can only fill out a caregivers attestation for someone other than yourself.. and you can only be a caregiver if you have filleed out a caregivers attestation and undergone a background check by the state.. If you are a patient in possession of your own plants that does not make you a caregiver..

Sure.. if you dont have a drug related felony you can become someone who doesnt have a caregivers caregiver by simply doing a change form and paying the slight fee of ten dollars to file it with the state. and that patient can continue to grow their own plants by simply remaining in possession of their own plants no problem... get a change form here... http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-27417_51869_52139---,00.html

an excellent point Annie...

as of right now by definition of the existing law:

-a patient is a patient only, and

-a caregiver is a caregiver for another person.

i saw a person this morning talking about he applied with himself as the caregiver and the state rejected that format so he is confused how to renew.

when this change becomes implemented i vote for option 3... which is to say whomever is responsible for procuring the cannabis for the patient is the caregiver, either ones self, or for another.

i am really glad i posted this because it has helped me direct my thoughts on this subject...

i may have argued differently yesterday...

i listen to our community and try to make sure we are all in some kind of agreement because this is our strength. the layman's interpretation is held when it comes to a jury..

i gotta git...

workin workin time..

PEACE

Im assuming the person could simply send in the application without any caregiver info attatched and be in possesion of his own plants..

not to limit anything in the realm of possibility here.. You can also be a caregiver to someone who already has a caregiver by having the patient fill out the change form releasing their old caregiver and assigning you as the new caregiver. You will of course have to send in a completed caregivers attestation along with a copy of your Mi Drivers lisence.

Folks.. please review the above link to applications. Each different appllication comes with an instructions page and they are easy to follow.. the instructions and forms will clearly spell out the options referenced in this poll..

I don't think there is any limits to the changes either. So for ten bucks a pop you could change caregivers daily if needed. How would you like to be a prosecuter under these rules? Especially if the paperwork was filled out as to not allow leo to get your info. If they did not know who your caregiver/patient was they would be left wallowing in the mess the COA made for them.....wooohooo......shredder

I don't think there is any limits to the changes either. So for ten bucks a pop you could change caregivers daily if needed. How would you like to be a prosecuter under these rules? Especially if the paperwork was filled out as to not allow leo to get your info. If they did not know who your caregiver/patient was they would be left wallowing in the mess the COA made for them.....wooohooo......shredder

What a concept ?

You think it takes long to get your card now "

What till patients start changing their

Caregiver daily , weekly or even monthly ....

MDHC would Colapse ....

Or Worse they would Be RICH ....

Patient Growers need to make each other caregivers. You can keep your plants, by just checking the box, patient will possess plants. All patients need to be caregivers for other patients. That is civil disobedience at it's finest. It's the letter and intent of the law. Only $10 to play, everyone can then do transactions. You can't be your own caregiver. You are still just a patient. Thanks, Bb

Yep, just need to FIND a WILLING and ABLE patient!!!!

Somewhere out there!!!!! We do have a group here.

Hear! Hear!!

What a concept ?

You think it takes long to get your card now "

What till patients start changing their

Caregiver daily , weekly or even monthly ....

MDHC would Colapse ....

Or Worse they would Be RICH ....

Oh yea! Wait for renewal to come back with significant other as caregiver......then decide if protections for them are worth giving up for the protections us patients should have in the first place.

Bleh!! what to do?

Archived