Which Light To Use For My Unrooted Clones

Alpha492

Which light to use  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which light would be better for unrooted clones?

• 1000w MH
    • 2 ft single tube fluorescent
    • Doesn't Matter

The poll explains it all. I just took some clones stuck them in rooting fertilizer, let them sit for 15 minutes, then planted them in soil cubes. I'm not sure whether they would be better off under the small fluorescent around 4 inches away, or under my 1000w MH about 3-4 ft away. All input is appreciated, and if you have any additional advice I would love to hear it.

It's just a cheap plant bulb, is all, instead of buying a special (expensive) bulb at the grow store. I.e. we are walmart shoppers :rolleyes:

aaaaa I see :D

I would actually highly recommend giving Amazon a try. Sign up for the free Amazon Prime membership then cancel the renewal right away, and you get a month of 2 day shipping (on any sized item) for free. Their rates seem very reasonable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006856EQ

This is the CFL I use

Btw, what kind of set up do you run for cloning? I'm thinking of building a little hydro auto-cloner myself. So far I've heard the most effective/cheap way is just a bunch of 2" holes in a storage container with an aquarium bubbler, but this community has always been a wealth of knowledge so I'm curious as to how everyone does it here.

Well Aplha492, I built one from a plan that was posted on this site. It has 11 3 inch holes and has a cover, but the res is a bit deeper than I wanted. I also was given one that is a 20 hole one with a shallow res and no cover. I can't decide which one will work best for my area here. The one I built was based mostly on a tutorial here. Best of luck to you Alpha492, but check out the tutorial section about cloners.

At first we were using those little pellets that expand when you soak them? They worked fine but I like using promix in little 4 packs better, just easier to stick the clones in it.

Then we just put them in a plastic thing, don't know what it's called. Some plastic thing you buy for a few bucks with a tray to put some water & the pellets in, and a removable top. All I can think is "aquarium". See my hubby's the detail guy, he could tell you the brand name and how much it cost.... but he hates computers and he's not here to ask...

I have a new question, and don't want to bother everyone with a new thread.

I have (what I'm guessing is) a nitrogen deficiency a lot of my smaller leaves are turning yellow on the interior part of the leaves and curling up. The main veins in the leaves are staying green though. So by my diagnosis it seems like a nitrogen deficiency. (if anyone has a different answer pls let me know)

Anyone have a suggestion for a good nitrogen supplementer?

I have a new question, and don't want to bother everyone with a new thread.

I have (what I'm guessing is) a nitrogen deficiency a lot of my smaller leaves are turning yellow on the interior part of the leaves and curling up. The main veins in the leaves are staying green though. So by my diagnosis it seems like a nitrogen deficiency. (if anyone has a different answer pls let me know)

Anyone have a suggestion for a good nitrogen supplementer?

Have you checked your pH? Also, what and how much are you feeding? A lot of problems look similar. While yellowing of the leaves can indicate a nitrogen deficiency, it could also be an indication of nutrient lockout due to pH being off or even a problem with overfeeding.

Checked the PH, its somewhere between 5 and 6. However I don't think I gave the water enough time to aerate. The passed 2 days I fed the plant twice a day, but a very small amount (just enough to wet the topsoil). I've been scared to do a real watering because if it a problem with my water I don't want to drown the plant or risk nitrogen poisoning.

Checked the PH, its somewhere between 5 and 6. However I don't think I gave the water enough time to aerate. The passed 2 days I fed the plant twice a day, but a very small amount (just enough to wet the topsoil). I've been scared to do a real watering because if it a problem with my water I don't want to drown the plant or risk nitrogen poisoning.

City water? If so, did you let it sit out for at least 24 hours? The chlorine added to municipal water can be devastating to a baby plant. 24 Hours allows the Chlorine to evaporate.

City water? If so, did you let it sit out for at least 24 hours? The chlorine added to municipal water can be devastating to a baby plant. 24 Hours allows the Chlorine to evaporate.

So story.

This morning I checked my PH with one of the little drip and shake test tube ph testers. Looked fine, somewhere between 6, and 7. Great right soil is supposed to be 6.5 so perfect. Later in the evening the plant got worse. I went to the hydro store thinking maybe an airstone would solve my problem. While picking out an air pump I eyeballed an electron ph meter. The guy working walks up and starts commenting on how "it is simply impossible to live without one". I think to myself "this guy is so full of poop its spilling out his eyeballs", but he offers me a pretty good deal on it, so I figure "Why not? It's easy to read then the test tube!". I take it home calibrate it, and then just for fun test it out on my resevoir.

Ph 2.7 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully its not to late to save this plant.

The moral of this story? Get an electronic PH meter, maybe even listhmus strips, just don't use the stupid test tubes.

Thanks for the advice, any on this recovery operation would be appreciated.

Right now I am using water balanced to PH 6.5 that has been sitting in an open air container for about 2 days. I dropped the airstone in today too so it should be well airated. As for fertilizer I am using Pure Blend Pro Grow along with a little bit of Silica Blast. Going to start watering every other day.

uhm?

First off you only need a 26 watt daylight cfl at 2 feet away from clones

As someone said less is better

Now about 2.7 ph

The only way you can have such a low ph is if you have added acid or nutes to the cloner

Both are a no-no except in minute amounts

Did you buy both calibration fluids with your ph meter?

What does your tap water read?

Something doesnt add up 2.7 phohmy.gif

By the way when changing ph you need to always do it in graduated intervals in hydro or your plants will show problems in a few weeks (burned usually)

Those pH pens (IMO) are way way off most of the time. I have two and they're both pretty much worthless. Either use test strips, pool pH tester kit, or just get an expensive meter. I'm actually using a supercheap soil pH tester now because it's ballpark accurate.

Definitely do not blast clones or seedlings with a 1000W. That's a waste of electricity and it could burn them. I also like the plant & aquarium T12 bulbs. Just grab a cheap shop light from Lowes or Home Depot for $10 and then get a couple of those bulbs (both stores have them). They go for around $8 per bulb. You will see faster growth than with ordinary fluoros.

Archived