Jones Commends Schuette Decision About...

LANSING,

Mich.—State Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge,

said today that a recent opinion by Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette on the use of marijuana by medical card holders at food service establishments, hotels, motels and apartment buildings reinforces the public’s desire to keep smoke out of places of public accommodation."

Please see email below that Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, issued and REMEMBER him when it comes to for re-election.

1 message

Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Dan Waun <DWaun@senate.michigan.gov>

To: Dan Waun <DWaun@senate.michigan.gov>

For Immediate Release

Fri, Sept. 16, 2011

Office: (517) 373-3447

Cell: (517) 410-9495

Jones commends Schuette decision about smoking marijuana in public places

LANSING, Mich.—State Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, said today that a recent opinion by Michigan Attorney

General Bill Schuette on the use of marijuana by medical card holders at food service establishments, hotels,

motels and apartment buildings reinforces the public’s desire to keep smoke out of places of public

accommodation.

“The attorney general’s opinion that the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act does prohibit the drug’s use in places of

public accommodation empowers owners and operators of Michigan’s hotels, motels, food service operations and

their patrons,” said Jones, who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee. “This decision makes it clear that

marijuana is not to be used in a public setting and that is good for business and for public safety.”

The opinion was prompted by constituents of Jones who contacted the senator’s office about the matter. Jones

directed those concerns to Schuette which led to the attorney general’s opinion on Sept. 15.

As far as the food service establishments, that would be a public place and is covered in the law. The rest should be treated the same as smoking cigarettes. Of course, if you walk down a hallway and smell it, does that constitute smoking in a public place as the people are in their apartment out of public view, but....

As far as the food service establishments, that would be a public place and is covered in the law. The rest should be treated the same as smoking cigarettes. Of course, if you walk down a hallway and smell it, does that constitute smoking in a public place as the people are in their apartment out of public view, but....

I thought the hotels and restaurants were a no brainer, but the other post deals with owners of apartment buildings or landlords in general, thats what scare me.

I thought the hotels and restaurants were a no brainer, but the other post deals with owners of apartment buildings or landlords in general, thats what scare me.

I agree with q-tipper that it seems like a waste of time to cover something that seems to already be covered. Landlords are allowed to set their own rules to a certain degree. All they have to do is to do what Westland did to stop dispensaries. Add a clause that states they may be evicted/terminated lease if in violation of fed law. I know of a couple landlords in this area that were shocked to find a "little re wiring" of their property after some tenants moved out.

LANSING, Mich.—State Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, said today that a recent opinion by Michigan Attorney

General Bill Schuette on the use of marijuana by medical card holders at food service establishments, hotels,

motels and apartment buildings reinforces the public’s desire to keep smoke out of places of public

accommodation.

The Apartment bldgs being included has my hackles up also.

I heard an advertisement on the radio the other day about how tenants

can contact a smoke free apartment web site to learn how to have their

apartment building made a smoke free place. man o man. If you don't

smoke, move into a smoke free facility.

The audacity of this boggles my mind.

Mr. Schuette, MICHIGAN CAMPAIGN STATEMENT CONTRIBUTIONS is the paid enforcer of Dick DeVos for his goals and objectives. Their assault on individual rights is in complete contradiction to their published goals Michigan Republican Party. I think this assault on Medical Marihuana is at the direction of the Michigan GOP. I also believe that because a number of the sponsors of these bills received significant funding from the GOP they have to do as told or the funding will stop. Just MHO.

Regards and peace,

Mr. Schuette, MICHIGAN CAMPAIGN STATEMENT CONTRIBUTIONS is the paid enforcer of Dick DeVos for his goals and objectives. Their assault on individual rights is in complete contradiction to their published goals Michigan Republican Party. I think this assault on Medical Marihuana is at the direction of the Michigan GOP. I also believe that because a number of the sponsors of these bills received significant funding from the GOP they have to do as told or the funding will stop. Just MHO.

Regards and peace,

Hmmmmm.

Treating this as cigarettes would be inappropriate it is to restrictive as this involves medical necessity . Both Schuette and Jones are severely prejudice and do not comprehend it . They do not recognize viable medical need nor their often ridiculous fears that lead to impractical policy and harm . Vaporization would appear to be a solution . .

Higher service hotels would hopefully provide vaporizers , disposable mouthpieces and rooms to qualified patients . Many patients already have their own . I find it sad establishments would support restricting patients but at least this opinion appears to provide for choice . This is medical necessity . Vaporization is not smoking and the law should clarify this and ones right to use their medication under that treatment by law enforcement .

Problems with forfeiture law also effect this situation and they need to be addressed . Forfeiture is too easily and too often abused in our State . As far as apartments I would think the ADA would apply other then the discriminatory deep clean after use it is not conscionable to deprive a person of a place to live due to their health needs . Aparment owners should not have to live in fear of forfeiture procedings ever and this also needs to be addressed .

As the head opponent to Prop 1 it appears Michigan AG Bill Schuette is going to need allot of patience and help to have any chance of implementing this law in a positive way for patients .

I am a landlord and if any crooked politicians try to tell me that my sick tennants cant legally medicate, I will kindly tell them where to go. Of course this is Flint and they don't even care if we have jobs or education for our children, so hopefully no one will waste much needed taxpayer dollars on something this silly. Pretty sneaky how they added the apartment thing at the end. But I wouldnt expect anything else from these people.

Mr. Schutte stated that landlords, hotel/motel owners have the right to deny services to persons who use MM, not that they must do so. Also, the public areas of hotels/motels include the pools, lobbies and all general access areas, not the rooms themselves. The cigarrette/tobacco limitations do not apply to cannabis, but other laws, already in place do. Peace ... j.b.

p.s. I suggest that when you find yourself in a questionable situation, use medibles, no one is upset by you sucking on a candy, eating a cookie or drinking a good ganja tea.

As a landlord, I would not have a problem with a patient smoking in or on the property. I would take issues to the person who re-wire or overload the circuits, creating a fire hazard. I would not look kindly upon the person who allows their grow to produce mold on and/or behind the walls creating not only an expensive, and possibly unresolvable health hazard. I would put something in the rental agreement to address this, and even require the renter to receive written approval for any such grows. I think such writing would protect the landlord, the renter, and any existing or future renters.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/blog/2010/01/weeding-out-a-bad-home-purchase.html

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2010/grow_op_cover_up/main.html

Treating this as cigarettes would be inappropriate it is to restrictive as this involves medical necessity . Both Schuette and Jones are severely prejudice and do not comprehend it . They do not recognize viable medical need nor their often ridiculous fears that lead to impractical policy and harm . Vaporization would appear to be a solution . .

Higher service hotels would hopefully provide vaporizers , disposable mouthpieces and rooms to qualified patients . Many patients already have their own . I find it sad establishments would support restricting patients but at least this opinion appears to provide for choice . This is medical necessity . Vaporization is not smoking and the law should clarify this and ones right to use their medication under that treatment by law enforcement .

Problems with forfeiture law also effect this situation and they need to be addressed . Forfeiture is too easily and too often abused in our State . As far as apartments I would think the ADA would apply other then the discriminatory deep clean after use it is not conscionable to deprive a person of a place to live due to their health needs . Aparment owners should not have to live in fear of forfeiture procedings ever and this also needs to be addressed .

As the head opponent to Prop 1 it appears Michigan AG Bill Schuette is going to need allot of patience and help to have any chance of implementing this law in a positive way for patients .

I would agree that vaporizing seems a solution. I think also, concerning smoking it an apartment, it depends on if the smoke may cause contact effects on non-card holders. If it did, that would be grounds for termination of involvement in the program however, imho, which means it should be a punishment, against actual offense(s), not on the assumption they will occur.

But what I see is an attempt to further restrict patients rights, (in a way that is somewhat [at least] understandable) without any regard for the guaranteed rights of patients, or to work with patients in a way to ensure non-participants are safe from "contact" and that patients do have access to their medical use, without either side feeling their rights being trampled over. But of course, dialogue is out for some of these social authoritarians that pepper the ® party and "Tea-Party" movement, but also occasionally crop up in the (D) party too.

Archived