Legalize Michigan

Here is the current draft of a proposed ballot initiative to legalize marijuana in Michigan for the 2012 ballot. I don't know if we have enough time to get it on there but some people who are much more educated in these issues than I think it can happen. I have also asked for language to cover driving and firearm ownership so this may change before the signature gathering starts.

Here is the current draft of a proposed ballot initiative to legalize marijuana in Michigan for the 2012 ballot. I don't know if we have enough time to get it on there but some people who are much more educated in these issues than I think it can happen. I have also asked for language to cover driving and firearm ownership so this may change before the signature gathering starts.

Why the 2oz limit? Should be 2 pounds.

This does not work for me, I couldn't even grow 1 plant with a 2 oz limit. We would end up in worse shape than we are now, bill would just be waiting for people to harvest a plant so he could throw them in jail. It would need to have a realistic amount allowed to get my vote.

We need to learn from the experience we are now having with the Medical Act, and make sure any proposal for legalization is written to protect us. mr. bill would drive a truck through that one, and if you think we are having a hard time now........

Section 3: Lawful Activities

A. Personal Regulation and Controls

1. Under the provision of this proposed Act and under Michigan law, there shall be no criminal ramifications or penalties for people aged 18 or older to

A. Personally possess, process, share, or transport 2.0 ounces or less of cannabis, solely for that individual’s personal consumption. Person-to-Person transactions are permitted, assuming the cannabis consumers stay within the 2.0 ounce limit.

B. Cultivate, on private property by the owner, lawful occupant, or other lawful resident or guest of the private property owner or lawful occupant, cannabis plants for personal consumption only. The area cultivated shall not exceed twenty-five square feet per private residence or, in the absence of any residence, the parcel. Cultivation on leased or rented property may be subject to approval from the owner of the property. Nothing in this section shall permit unlawful or unlicensed cultivation of cannabis on any public lands.

C. Possess, on the premises where grown, the living and harvested plants and results of any harvest and processing of plants lawfully cultivated for personal consumption and person-to-person sale/transaction up to the 2.0 ounce limit.

2 oz personal possession?

25 sq ft?

2 oz on the premises?

No thank you.

Is the aim of this to make sure a legalization bill does not pass?, therefore losing public support for future bills? Sounds a lot like CA.

we don't need any of the hub hub in this bill.

to legalize all they need to do is remove cannabis from schedule 1.

agricultural rules and zoning will keep gardens in check.

personal sales would be followed and taxed just like any other self reporting business. existing laws already are in place to regulate home business and zoning laws. local townships will decide how much tolerance to allow their citizens to cultivate through existing regulatory means and township actions.

freedom from oppression doesn't start with settling. it starts with taking a stand.

we don't need any of the hub hub in this bill.

to legalize all they need to do is remove cannabis from schedule 1.

agricultural rules and zoning will keep gardens in check.

personal sales would be followed and taxed just like any other self reporting business. existing laws already are in place to regulate home business and zoning laws. local townships will decide how much tolerance to allow their citizens to cultivate through existing regulatory means and township actions.

freedom from oppression doesn't start with settling. it starts with taking a stand.

Well said

Going the wrong way with this one. 2 ounces is fine for personal....NOT for supplying Patients. That's like one or two plants...... not enough to supply Patients.

We are currently allowed 2.5 ounces, as Patients, plus, as Caregivers, the same for up to 5 Patients = 15 ounces total.

If your spouse/whatever has the same maxed out situation = another 15 ounces.

25 square feet ?? Mine is 156 sq. ft. Twenty five sq. ft. is a closet grow, not a grow room...... not enough to supply Patients.

If we didn't have what we already have, this may have sounded good.

Now, it doesn't.

I think the biggest hurdle to getting it legal is the lack of reliable roadside testing. DUI is always a concern and, unlike alcohol, there is no way to tell if someone is under the influence during a roadside test. Until that happens I beleive it will have to remain medical. Its just my opinion but its something to think about and something that needs to be addressed. Another issue is the evil word (dont shoot the messenger) taxes! Until the govt is making money they will never leave us alone, hel even when they do get money they prob wont leave us alone!!

As all criminal penalties would be removed, I don't see being over the two ounces being more than a ticket. The regulate like wine initiative in Ca would be better which prohibits genetically modified, changes the state scheduling, and forces the Mi AG to defend the law and forces him to petition the feds for federal rescheduling.

I think the biggest hurdle to getting it legal is the lack of reliable roadside testing. DUI is always a concern and, unlike alcohol, there is no way to tell if someone is under the influence during a roadside test.

Why do we need roadside testing?

And what do you mean by roadside test? As in a test for impairment, like saying the alphabet backwards? standing on one leg? or a test that measures thc in a driver, like a breathalyzer does with alcohol? If you are referring to testing for THC on the roadside, why? Where are the tests that check for opiates? Where are the tests that check for other medicines in the system of a driver that might impair driving?

Another issue is the evil word (dont shoot the messenger) taxes!

And why even talk about taxes? What is there to talk about?, other than the fact that currently "only over the counter" medications have a sales tax imposed on them, when prescription medicine has no sales tax at all. So where does that leave a medicine that is recommended?

Cannabis needs to be rescheduled. Simply put.

Another issue is the evil word (dont shoot the messenger) taxes! Until the govt is making money they will never leave us alone, hel even when they do get money they prob wont leave us alone!!

Until the govt sees that Taxes will bring more money than Civil Asset Forfeiture, they could care less about making money off the people's back. Of course the smart/compassionate ones who want to be re/elected, will take the high road.

I agree as long as the MMMA stands on it's own it's a start people did try this be for inn Detroit city by Tim Beck what happen their?

Agree.

To those concerned about managing supply for your patients, you've still got the MMMA. This would be an improvement over the current situation for patients and caregivers awaiting their LARA card.

The Detroit Election Commision (Detroit City Clerk Janice Winfrey, City Council President Charles Pugh and City Corporation Counsel Krystal Crittendon) got sued. I think Tim Beck is awaiting a decision.

@420Atheist, maybe try adding definition for "usable (cured) amount", and clones. Need a limit high enough to avoid the situation of a plant harvest putting you over the limit... maybe 8oz like Timmahh said.

I gotta read that whole thing then I may have some questions, because it seems to me there's gonna be 2 mj laws, this proposal, if voted into law, and the MM law we already have, hoping we still have that..

Govt will always want a cut of every sale of everything, though they'll mismanage the funds like they always do. Rescheduling is the best solution, gets the feds off our backs, someday, I HOPE, if I may use that word anymore, that we can make them back down on this. Keep bugging them about it, the war on drugs is a dismal failure, especially on cannabis, and many of them know it.

Sb

Sounds like they are changing the two oz limit. They are also working on the DUI and firearms issues. I will post as soon as I see the updated version.

I'm still thinking there may not be enough time or money to pull this off. The MMMA cost well over one million dollars to get done. Look at the signature gathering efforts for the recall snider campaign. You have to have paid canvassers to get the job done. A volunteer effort does not cut it.

Sounds like they are changing the two oz limit. They are also working on the DUI and firearms issues. I will post as soon as I see the updated version.

Would employment protections be a moot point as a result of this? If not, then they should be added.

Would employment protections be a moot point as a result of this? If not, then they should be added.

Thanks for the reminder. I will mention that as well. All the things that have come up with have prepared us well for the protections that need to be in place.

I am still being guarded about this as it is a huge undertaking and in my opinion will require paid people as well as volunteers. Never the less people in the know more than I am are involved so I am hopeful. If not MI I'm betting some state will pass it in 2012.

how does a legalization bill effect the MMMAct? If you want to be a legal recreational user - then sure, you should only get 2oz limit.

If you are a patient or CG, then the MMMAct applies.

??????????????

Perhaps we should focus on stuff that will happen in reality- like the 12 bills the AG wants to implement on the current MMMAct.

DN

Why do we need roadside testing?

And what do you mean by roadside test? As in a test for impairment, like saying the alphabet backwards? standing on one leg? or a test that measures thc in a driver, like a breathalyzer does with alcohol? If you are referring to testing for THC on the roadside, why? Where are the tests that check for opiates? Where are the tests that check for other medicines in the system of a driver that might impair driving?

And why even talk about taxes? What is there to talk about?, other than the fact that currently "only over the counter" medications have a sales tax imposed on them, when prescription medicine has no sales tax at all. So where does that leave a medicine that is recommended?

Cannabis needs to be rescheduled. Simply put.

1. if you get into an accident and you are on vicodine(prescribed), they can test to see if that may have been a cause of the accident. With MM they can not

2. you may not pay sales tax on your medicine from a phamacy but the drug manufactures are paying taxes and right now the growers do not. Dont think that the government doesnt want to make money off of this, they want money where ever they can smell it.

3. I totally agree that it needs to be rescheduled 100%

Archived