Help With Nutrients

pjaynes

Im usualy a hdro grower but getting into soil useing foxfarm happy frog and ocean forest half and half i have always been a believer in less is best when feeding nuts the fox farm line of nuts doesnt seem to be that productive does any body have a suggestion on what works keeping it simple veg thru harvest thanks!!

ive been using Dyna Grow Foilage Pro in veg (this is one of their professional line of nutes) and Dyna Grow Bloom in flower, and Dyna Gro Pro Tect lightly all the way thru. so far im having pretty good luck with the line.

Jacks Classic is a simple old school line of general nutes that also has been around and used for ever.

The soils you are using already have alot of nutes built in. If you want to keep it real simple, try Jacks Classic All Purpose and Blossom Booster. These are seriously good nutes for medical marijuana. You may have to add a small amount of cal. and or mag. depending on your water supply. Everything is there to get highly potent meds for a very reasonable price. I came across these nutes under a different name back in the early 80's and many growers were using them during this time period with great success. Specialized nutes were not common then, and the forerunner to this line was used quite often. Try it, it will save you $100's and you will be happy.

maxigro maxibloom kool bloom. Hyrdo and soiless. Dump the fox farm soil as the ph is not stable mid-bloom. ph drops into the high 4's and locks out lots of strains. Use sunshine mix number 4. Stable thru out right out of the bag. I do add some goodies to the mix like perlite/ earthworm castings 2 tlbs and roots excel 2 tlbs and 2 tlbs of gardening lime per 27 gal tote.

Best I found any easiest was golden grow and bloom. Very hot and works great, just have to order the stuff. Been using g&h maxi line for 2 yrs in flood and drain tables and hand watered pots but add 10ml bio marine in first 3 weeks of bloom per gal and always in veg. Stable nute and super simple in both hyrdo and soil

ive been using Dyna Grow Foilage Pro in veg (this is one of their professional line of nutes) and Dyna Grow Bloom in flower, and Dyna Gro Pro Tect lightly all the way thru. so far im having pretty good luck with the line.

Jacks Classic is a simple old school line of general nutes that also has been around and used for ever.

EXACTALLY what I use, along with their Mag-Pro. calmag and all trace nutes and elements. GREAT STUFF!! you won't find better for Lucas

Im with krusty.drop the ff soil and switch to sunshinemix 4 or promix...its just better for somone who wants to control what there plants get.ff nutes were never super productive but they did produce a very aromatic and flavorful med for me.i switched to gh flora line with better results.now im running advanced nutrients sensi base nutes,bud candy,carboload,b52,big bud and overdrive.also using open sesame,and beastie blooms from ff,snow storm ultra and gravity and floralicous from gh.im thinking about adding house and gardens roots exel to the mix too.plants have never been more productive and healthy...dont stick to one line,imo each line has its strong areas so mixing and matching,try this or that and see what happens.

you floks should also look into what humate does for plants. i use a brand call humate supreame does wonders for plants

Humate Supreme™ is specially formulated to promote maximum growth of plants within the Hemp/Cannabis family. Humate Supreme™ tablets are derived from a natural ...

humatesupreme.com

I've used these both with fox farm OF and they both work great. I wouldn't feed until about 3-4 weeks in though with the OF since it already has a good amount of nutes in it.

I bet I've answered more then a hundred sick plant threads where the folks would be talking about yellow leafs in bkloom or brown spots on the larger leafs and plants getting locked out.

My first question is what soil do ya uses ? foxfarm ocean forest ??

They'd all say " yeah", I then have them check run-off ph and see if it's now in the low 4's. They come back on and say" yeah, it's 4.6 or lower. I'd just shake my head and tell them the same thing

Ditch foxfarm.......

They would and issues solved.

hahahahahaha someones medicated..... happy frog is the chit, only dirt ill use...a lil um lime i think and the problems mentioned are gone....but ive never not once had these issues.....and most of the nutes folks suggested are bunk for you.... if you growing in soil you need to use nutes that wont kill off the beneficial in ur soil. if you use good soil and you poor poison on it ur not having a lock out from soil, it cuz u killed ur chit.... stick to organics its the way. if you want to use poison just avoid the dirt

The trouble of using FFOF, at least one of the not so much troubles, but is a fact, is that it has nutrients included in it.

So adding more and more will cause lock outs, not deficiencies, although they look identical. If you do use it lower your amounts that you feed the plants, if fact a lot of growers do not feed until 6 weeks in the soil or more. Build ups of nutrients is most likely what is causing the low PH. If you want to keep up with the same nutrients in the soil use FF marine cusine as a top dress, and just water it in, instead of pouring more and more liquid nutrients, into the soil.

Another thing that would help is a top dress of ewc. They have the effect of almost resetting your grow and can take care of minor problems that spring up. Not by adding more nutirents per say, but by making the nutrients in the soil more available to your plants. Humic acids could also help, as they chelate (make available) the nutrients....best of luck....shredder

U only need to worry about beneficials if your growing organically since organics are not readily available to the plant.they have to be broken down by those lil guys in the soil.chem nutes are readily available...they dont have to be broken down.which is why i recommend sunshine mix4 or any other proffesionel "soilless" mixes with no nutes already in it if your goin to be adding stuff.the exception for me is roots organic(green camoflouged bag)worked really well for the first two weeks of my clones lives in veg.

Edited by pergamum362

Fox Farm is the brand, and Happy Frog is one of their soils, as is Ocean forest. So Happy Frog Is a Fox Farm soil. i take it you mean your mixing happy frog and ocean forrest dirts 50/50?

the FF line of nutes is quite good. they have a easy to follow feeding schedule on their website.

tells what how much of which nut to use during every week from seed/clone to harvest.

follow it and keep up with the rest and you should do ok.

If you are using those soils you really should look into something organic. If you can get them, Age Old Organics makes a good one part grow and bloom formula. I've used the bloom in combination with Fox Farm Big Bloom and a little Maxicrop, and had excellent results. If you go with a fertilizer that is not organic, you might as well ditch the FF soils and stick with Sunshine or Promix, like these other guys said.

If going organic, make sure you get a dechlorinator or Reverse Osmosis filter, or things tend to not work as smoothly, due to killing your soil life with Chlorine. You will also want to use a Cal/Mag product when using a water filter. A good organic one is General Organics CaMg+.

Hope this helps.

Or you could make organic fertilizer spikes that will last through most of your flowering cycle. Here are some recipes if you wanna try em out.

Veg Spike Mix

1/2 cup blood meal

1/2 cup steamed bone meal

1/2 cup high N bat/bird guano

1/2 cup feather meal

1/2 cup kelp meal

1 Tbs. ground oyster shell

Flowering Spike Mix

1/2 cup feather meal

1/4 cup Happy Frog Bulb Food 3-8-8

1/4 cup soft rock phosphate

1/2 cup steamed bone meal

1/2 cup Happy Frog 0-5-0 Bat Guano

1/2 cup Kelp Meal

1 Tbs. ground oyster shell

I know it is a long list but I figured I would post it because it works really well. Some of the products that I couldn't find locally (Ground Oyster Shell and Feather Meal) I got off of americanag.com with free shipping.

In a 5 gallon pot use 2 of each spike. Basically transplant into your flowering container, make sure the soil is damp and stab large pencil or sharpie sized holes down to the bottom of the pot about an inch from the edge. I use a funnel to fill them with the spike mixes and cover the top with soil, or better yet hardwood bark mulch. :)

A compost tea about 2 or 3 times in flower will also make sure everything in the spikes and soil get used up.

Sometimes, if the plants are really large, I will also top dress with 1/2 Tbs. guano, 1 Tbs. kelp, and 1 Tbs. Happy Frog Bulb Food 3-8-8.

Hehe I'm a geek when it comes to this organic stuff, but it really will give you the highest quality medicine IMO. Must use RO water supplemented with CaMg+ (10 drops/gallon).

• 5 months later...

Im usualy a hdro grower but getting into soil useing foxfarm happy frog and ocean forest half and half i have always been a believer in less is best when feeding nuts the fox farm line of nuts doesnt seem to be that productive does any body have a suggestion on what works keeping it simple veg thru harvest thanks!!

these soils are organic and have some nutrients and benis so use organic and be healthier and it taste better, and easier flush. I make my own soil but I use the happy frog starter fertilizer. love it and heard good things about fox farm bloom but haven't heard anything about the rest of the line. I used the full organic line-up of Humboldt's and like it but have nothing to compare with. this is only my second run of legal indoor grow. 30 yrs of outdoor never gave me great results so this is new for me so I use exspensive nutrients to lessen my chance of me screwing up.

This is the intructions we give to new growers at the DCCC. It's simple easy to use and everyone has had great success when using it, even first-timers:

The K.I.S.S. Method

Keep it simple stupid.

Don't let yourself get all confused by the million people telling you a million different ways to do something with this or that or the other while you should be doing this that way or wtvr. Step back and realize it is all a headache of crap.

Make this as easy on yourself as possible.

A simple overview of the basics you will need.

Needed:

1 400W Metal Halide

1 1000w High Pressure Sodium

Couple bales of Pro-Mix, Fafard growing mix, Sunshine Mix.(feed stores, home depot, Greenhouses)

Bag of Perlite(optional)

Box of Blood Meal(wal mart)

Box of Bone meal(walmart)

Box of Kelp Meal(local,online)

Bag of Epsom Salt(standard)

Bag of Dolomite Lime(feed store)

Bag of Worm Castings(local,online)

Soluble Seawed extract(optional)

Mychorrizal Fungi-Plant Success(optional)

Rare Earth(optional)

1 can of Guinness beer(optional to drink or use in mix)

9- 5 gallon buckets(flowering plant pots)

6- 2 gallon buckets(vegetative plant pots)

Sleeve of plastic beer cups(cloning)

rooting hormone(powder,gel;walmart/online)

2 fans

That should do it for a basic grow. it would cost about 6-700 bucks i am guessing. Possibly cheaper depending on Lights.

For seeds: soak seeds for 24 hours in a beer cup to soften shells.

Place seed in beer cup of pure pro mix. Sprout.

Mix potting soil.

Basic recipe: Full bale(3.8 cuft) Pro mix is 2.0 cuft sometimes. Adjust accordingly.

6 cups Bone Meal

4 cups Blood Meal

4 cups kelp meal

3 cups Dolomite Lime

1 1/2 cups Epsom salt

1 small bag Worm Castings

1 bag Perlite(optional)

6 tbsp. Plant Success Granular(optional)

3 tbsp Soluble Seaweed extract(optional)

3 tbsp Rare Earth(optional)

1 can of guinness beer(drink or add to soil)

Now, for ease, mix a half bale at a time. Get the nice 50 gallon contractor black garbage bags. Add all ingredients into bag. Tie closed and roll and roll and mix well. Open bag. Wet down soil well.

Same goes for flowering pots when needed.

All you have to do is water and all your work is done. You 'can' PH your water to 7.0 neutral, but isn't a must.

Water. Watch grow. Repot. Done.

Keep it Simple Stupid.

Of course there are a couple other things to know, but that is a basic setup that can harvest 1 plant a week at 1-4 oz a piece depending.

Retail Locator for Pro Mix Find button( sometimes it isn't there. *shrug*)

http://www.premierhort.com/eProMix/Gard ... dening.htm

Sunshine Mix Retail Locator

http://www.sungro.com/retail_locator.php

Retail Locator Fafard Growing Mix

http://www.fafard.com/?p=7

It is like cooking a 2 minute egg but you are cooking an 8 week plant. This is my recipe on how to cook your 8 week plant.

This is a basic mix. Some strains; they are all different; may need a little boost of a Nitrogen fertilizer( i recommend bat guano) once or twice during growth because they wants it, and maybe need a little Phosphorous boost( i recommend bat guano) once or twice at the start of flowering. Thats it.

Also, If your growing the same strain, you can 'tune' in the mix to that strain by maybe adding a little more/less of certain ingredients.

some people need to learn to use punctuation, it's hard to read run-on sentences.

hey I'm stoned most of the time so don't bring me down by acting like my English teacher. If only the literary perfectionist can post, then you discriminate against half the world. Edited by cujo