Schuette, Marijuana And Dow

mayorherb

http://www.examiner.com/national-politics-in-detroit/schuette-marijuana-and-dow-1 Attorney General Bill Schuette's opposition to medical marijuana has been described by some observers as bordering on an obsession.

Why is Schuette so obsessed? Perhaps the real reason is to prevent industrial uses of the hemp plant, from which marijuana is derived, from competing with products of the Dow Chemical Company, in which Schuette's family has a large financial stake, while producing top executives. Schuette's stepfather, Carl Gerstacker, was a Dow CEO, and his father, William Schuette, Sr., was in line to become CEO when he died of a heart attack in 1959. The Schuette family's Dow-based wealth has helped to bankroll a long political career that began in 1984, when he was elected to Congress at 31.

Dishonestly demonizing the use of marijuana, which is for the most part benign, as a cover for crushing potential competition from industrial hemp, is nothing new. Back in the 1930s, one of the most successful campaigns that resulted in the 1937 federal marijuana prohibition was run by newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst, who used his newspaper chain to spread lies about alleged harmful effects of marijuana. But Hearst's real concern was that using hemp fiber to produce paper pulp for newspapers would cut into his own paper pulp business derived from extensive timber holdings. At the same time, the DuPont family and financier Andrew Mellon wanted marijuana banned to prevent hemp fiber from competing with DuPont's nylon.

So it is with Dow today. Industrial uses of hemp include plastics, water purification and weed control that could compete with Dow products and perhaps cause its business to decline, costing the Schuette family a lot of money. As such, Schuette, who led the failed campaign against Proposal 1 in 2008, is now doing all he can to undermine medical marijuana, interpreting the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act as narrowly as possible. After all, if medical marijuana were to become solidly established as a legal business in Michigan, there would be no excuse not to allow industrial hemp, which has a THC level too low for recreational use.

So the next time you hear Schuette, a hypocrite who has admitted smoking marijuana in college, dishonestly attack medical marijuana, understand that he isn't out to protect the public. He's just in it for the money.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Schuette, marijuana and Dow - Detroit national politics | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/national-politics-in-detroit/schuette-marijuana-and-dow-1#ixzz1dPYOcL1s

Continue reading on Examiner.com Schuette, marijuana and Dow - Detroit national politics | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/national-politics-in-detroit/schuette-marijuana-and-dow-1#ixzz1dPYJmz7T

Thank you for this info..now I see why hes so insistent and destroying the act we have here in Michigan.

The dow family is part of why it is illegal.

We need to show light on this in the mainstream media.

He needs to be out of office the sooner the better. He is doing more for his own good then the peoples good.

Thank you for this info..now I see why hes so insistent and destroying the act we have here in Michigan.

The dow family is part of why it is illegal.

We need to show light on this in the mainstream media.

He needs to be out of office the sooner the better. He is doing more for his own good then the peoples good.

I posted it a few times on his page..lets see if he reads it..

Very enlightening information! As always if you follow the money trail you will find the true reason these politicians do some of the things they do. So far I have meet two in my district that are regular guys who ran because the state, counties and municipalities are a mess from the good old boy's mentality and practices.

I copied and pasted into an e mail that went out to all my contacts. This is strictly a political move on the AG's part and he has a conflict of interest in even dealing with the MM law!

I posted this info quite a few months ago on this topic:

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=329101

I am glad it is spreading and more and more people are recognizing Shcuette's ill intentions. Hopefully he will have to answer for his personal stake in keeping cannabis illegal.Using our court system to dismantle the law we passed by 63 percent to keep his family's pocket lined with money made off of chemicals that haved poisoned the world and our own State in particular.

Archived