Mystery Pest - Help!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice catch CleanD, you may be absolutely right, this 'mite' be the first official case of hemp russett mites in Michigan. Good job. Peace j.b.

thanks bro! yeah, pretty sure that's what they are... and likely from an unscrupulous CO source... that's where i got introduced to em... guys kept thinking it was a form of rust mold... ;-)

here's a website with some pics... http://bugguide.net/node/view/287723

tried to upload... don't know if this will work...

gallery_28305_984_1654.jpggallery_28305_984_278421.jpg

again, the 'soft' approaches didn't/won't really work... avid & sulfur from my understanding... complete & total coverage... two app's in a 5 day cycle... should anyone esle run across the issue. quarantine anything y'all bring into the garden... easier to deal w vs once it gets out into the entire room. peace all.

I'd use this once and this every 3 days for 2 weeks then once every 10 days FOREVER

Was this your technique to eradicate the hemp russet mite attack on your grow? Some consider that these life forms are the true Borg (resistance is futile) insects of the cannabis world! Some even conspire the DEA has contaminated geographical areas of the US and Canada with hemp russet mites to kill off production. What do you think?

AVID was banned in CA - people get sick from that.

Neem oil, again is a foilar and systemic protectant. If this does not work, it was too far gone. It is organic, people in india eat this stuff.

In my opinion I would never go into flower stage if I was dealing with pest. The bigger the plant gets, the more dense it gets - the harder it will be to fight pest. If you cannot fix the problem before the plant gets too big - try cloning from it.

Trying to fight pest in flower is just bad news.

DN

From waht I read, neem does aboslutely nothing to these b4stards. They're extremely resilient. Apparently pyrethrins will put the hurt in them, along with wettable sulfur. I'm going to try to hobble on down to the garden store tomorrow and pick up whatever I can find. Also, I was thinking: why not gas the clones with human CO2 instead of buying an expensive CO2 ssystem? I could put them in ziplock bags, and hyperventilate in the bags until I pass out. :P We exhale 50,000ppm CO2...

From waht I read, neem does aboslutely nothing to these b4stards. They're extremely resilient. Apparently pyrethrins will put the hurt in them, along with wettable sulfur. I'm going to try to hobble on down to the garden store tomorrow and pick up whatever I can find. Also, I was thinking: why not gas the clones with human CO2 instead of buying an expensive CO2 ssystem? I could put them in ziplock bags, and hyperventilate in the bags until I pass out. :P We exhale 50,000ppm CO2...

Could you post a closer picture of the pest. From the leaf damages I've seen from the russet mite does not resemble yours. Especially from the post clan did above. Also the bugs on ur plant don't congregate as the ones in the pictures are.

Not sure how people are making this assumption with your problem. Did you check to see if the pest is what is. Does it have the 4 legs in front with a spiny tail. Without a better picture of the pest I'm not sure how they are making this out to be a russet mite.

I don't like the co2 idea. first off. thats a lot of gas. second and most importantly. gas levels high enough to suffocate bugs will suffocate you. for co2 isolate the plant in a 55 gal trashbag and fill w/gas

Simple solution to the CO2 is to flood the sealed room for an hour and have the exhaust fan set to come on after the hour is up. A good exhaust would clear the CO2 out and refil with fresh air, far from dangerous in my opinion. They also look like thrip larve to me but it was hard to get a really good zoom image of his posted pics so there is still some doubt as to thier identity but the CO2 won't care what they are they will just suffocate. The bag is a good idea for single plants but whole room flooding is faster for multiple plants.

One of the biggest issues with it is you can have some of the bugs "off plant" when you do the Co2. If you do the whole room, good chance you get them all, if you do it in a barrel, you have to be bleaching the area you are putting the plant back to while it is in the barrel... Bleach will definitely kill em, just can't let it get on the plants.

• 2 weeks later...

So my Afghani mom is on deaths door... :( She was making a modest recovery, but has taken a severe turn for the worse, and there's only a couple tiny leaves left alive. Probably won't be long before they get mauled and the plant croaks. More than anything I've wanted some very *narcotic* genetics, extremely sedating, not "trippy at all" 100% afghani genetics... that's what I had for the last 4 months and now am witnessing the death of without having a chance to flower it, sigh... I was told by the guy that I got it from that it makes the indica-dominant Northern Lights seem like a sativa by comparison... again this is what I really need, i get bad migraines and cant sleep, get anxiety sometimes too and the indicas treat me much better there... I couldn't care less about the strain name fame, or appearance, potency, yield, flower time, etc., I am strictly looking for the effects described... anyway if someone near Ann Arbor has anything meeting that description available I would be very much interested in acquiring a clone. I have a plastic card. :thumbsu:

On a cheerier note, it seems that my idea of hyperventilating into a plastic bag to gas clones with CO2 is working. I don't see any of the mite bstards in there. I was thinking that maybe with bigger plants I should put them in a big plastic container thats 100% sealed and burn a candle until the oxygen is all used up. (In the dark, of course)

lol this thread has some funny responses.....i hate to say it....dip a clone in a bucket of ice water....i dont do it but its better than thinking u can breath death into a bag full of mites. sorry its early lol.....

Happy frog rocks....can you get a bug...well i guess its possible....could those bugs be a result of your doings? bring in clones, open air rooms ......so many easy ways to get pests, sadly ways that likely wont be resolved as its easier to blame the dirt lol.

Now dont get wrong....happy frog can and at times does have a bug or two. This will happen with organic soil....its called good, full of life....grow in foam pnutts if u want sterile.... i grow big fat juicy bugs with happy frog....its living...good stuff. :thumbsu:

I grew plants indoors for 8 years. Never had a single pest, not even mites or fungus gnats, until I got the happy frog soil, and now I've fought spider mites, russet mites, root aphids, and fungus gnats, in the space of 6 months. It's possible it wasn't the soil, but that's getting hard to believe.

Low and behold..ANOTHER fox farms soil guy with lots of pests..This soil is infamous ,by those in the know, for being a good place to pick up bugs.Search it, search and search some more and you will find an undeniable amount of threads where people bought it and ended up with mites.GanjaWarrior..I would say you have been lucky this far.I like some fox farms nutrient products, but not their soils.Sunshine mix4,Pro mix Bx, or almost any coco coir..sunshine mix4 being my preference...Do yourself a favor Purklize..get rid of all those plants, throw all the soil away, bleach your pots, and start over, with that many pests at once it is unlikely you will ever rid yourself of all of them..at best they will develop a resistance and plaque our community..cali growers have done a good job of doing this already...oh and CLEAN the hell out of your room with bleach, mop the walls etc etc..seriously...lol..MOP THEM...also the residue from products like avid and floramite leave a residue thats gone in about 30 days.It doesnt absorb into the leaves like forbid.So dont use them in flower and no ill effects will result but I sense you will not be using those...If you can make it to detroit, Id be more than willing to give you a few rooted clones of my afghanica(afghani#1 x skunk)

Low and behold..ANOTHER fox farms soil guy with lots of pests..This soil is infamous ,by those in the know, for being a good place to pick up bugs.Search it, search and search some more and you will find an undeniable amount of threads where people bought it and ended up with mites.GanjaWarrior..I would say you have been lucky this far.I like some fox farms nutrient products, but not their soils.Sunshine mix4,Pro mix Bx, or almost any coco coir..sunshine mix4 being my preference...Do yourself a favor Purklize..get rid of all those plants, throw all the soil away, bleach your pots, and start over, with that many pests at once it is unlikely you will ever rid yourself of all of them..at best they will develop a resistance and plaque our community..cali growers have done a good job of doing this already...oh and CLEAN the hell out of your room with bleach, mop the walls etc etc..seriously...lol..MOP THEM...also the residue from products like avid and floramite leave a residue thats gone in about 30 days.It doesnt absorb into the leaves like forbid.So dont use them in flower and no ill effects will result but I sense you will not be using those...If you can make it to detroit, Id be more than willing to give you a few rooted clones of my afghanica(afghani#1 x skunk)

Sorry I think you may have misunderstood me. i use happy frog because it contains life. I know not everyone grasps the value of organics, and im only beginning too....but the alternatives you listed wouldn't make it for me...they are not soil. happy frog is the best on the market here in michigan.thoughs in the know...well, they know this.lol

:huh: Fully understood you ganja.WAS NOT IN ANYWAY knocking how you grow, thats not my intention if I came off that way lol..I only said what I think, that youve been lucky.I just do not like fox farms soils and believe what I said about them...You can do the same thing in coco coir.I dont know anyone personally who uses ff soils.All tried it, all ditched it.I did use there nutrient line for about a year,produced great smells.I still use a few of there additives.

Another option purklize would be to Find a few clean cuts from your mothers, clean them by hand, quarantine from your current grow while they root, clean your area as I stated, and leave clones where they are until there rooted and repeat the clean..lol.be VERY thorough...just an option...having a pest around gets very old fast as Im sure you know.

Thanks for the offer pergamum362!

I am doing exactly that actually - I tried to clone everything, but the GX has been in such sad shape that I haven't been able to take a cutting.

I've been hyperventilating into the 1 gallon bags I put the other clones in to try to gas the russet mites with CO2, and it seems to be working. It better be! These things are terrible. I dunked all the clones in soapy water with cinnamon oil, rosemary oil, etc and it did virtually nothing. Extremely tough critters.

The spider mites have long since been defeated, along with the fungus gnats. I have a solid plan to exterminate the root aphids soon, too. Just waiting to get rid of the soil plants, as that's where the root aphids love to take up refuge. They can't live for long outside of soil. I'm not worried about them anymore. The russet mites are horrible though, they are nearly impossible to kill.

http://books.google.com/books?id=cDCMiaORLYsC&pg=PA31&lpg=PA31&dq=russet+mite+co2&source=bl&ots=bFR1HDMVAV&sig=FWq8rH1GVLoMv0K6fuLKwgmiAdo&hl=en&ei=9_HYTqv2FYTy2gWekKTKDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CFEQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=co2&f=false

Supposedly they can be killed using CO2. Again hyperventilating into the bag clones are in, and leaving it there in the dark for 24 hours, has done a lot of good. Im going to try burning some alcohol (burns cooler than propane etc, no soot like candles) in the tent with the ventilation off, and leaving it for 2-3 hours, once daily starting... sometime... for something like 5-7 days. Hopefully that puts a final end to this bs.

Also, they survived swabbing with 91% isopropanol. Incredible.

Archived