Michigan Gun Law And Mmm Card

jamesd

Fellow Patients,

My card expired on 11/1/2011. I have a wonderful CG. I recently heard that if I have a MMM card, I cannot legally own a gun. Is this true? If so, I will have to forgo my medical card for the right to bear arms. Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, I did a search and did not find any results.

James

Fellow Patients,

My card expired on 11/1/2011. I have a wonderful CG. I recently heard that if I have a MMM card, I cannot legally own a gun. Is this true? If so, I will have to forgo my medical card for the right to bear arms. Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, I did a search and did not find any results.

James

Under the "Acts of Tyranny", there is a thread titled, "Hunted, DNR and MMMP" there a good bit of info there. Thanks, Medcnman.

Thanks for that article. Very intriguing and disturbing at the same time. I wonder when our federal government is going to stop calling sick people criminals. I hope its soon. Thanks again DN for the enlightening article. Medcnman.

your Medical info is protected. its your private info for only you to authorize its release.

Thus your private medical information can not interfer with your personal rights as a US Citizen, and a Citizen of the State of Michigan.

Im not a lawyer, but knowledge is golden.

:goodjob::thumbsu:

The rule was made pretty clear by the ATF http://blog.norml.or...-rights-period/

DN

Actually, this letter from ATF is directed to GUN DEALERS, I don't believe that it directly addresses gun owners who utilize medical cannabis. They simply cannot sell to card holders, but how are they or the ATF going to know that you hold a card, unless you tell them or your card falls out of your wallet while paying for your new handgun...don't ask, don't tell ...seems to apply here. Peace ... j.b.

One thing I do suggest to gun owners who grow cannabis, find somewhere, away from your grow site, to store your guns. If you are one inch outside of full compliance with the current rules of the MMMAct, they are not allowing you to use a medical cannabis defense at all, add a gun charge to a non-compliant cannabis charge and you add 2 years to the time you will do. Peace...j.b.

UPDATE!!! So, I went to the Shelby Twp. Police Department today to get my gun permit. I have an expired card and a DUI (Wisconsin) in 2006. Otherwise, my record is spotless. Guess which one prevented me from getting a gun permit? The person working in the records department said she would have to get back to me because of the medical card. The DUI didn't matter. She called me back about an hour later and stated she spoke with a representative for the Michigan State Police. You can obtain a gun permit only after one year has elapsed after the expiration date on your card. They will ask for your patient id and will check with the state of Michigan. Just so everyone knows.

So I'm renewing my medical card next week! Hopefully the law changes as I know several people with gun permits that are drunks or snort pills. Not really fair, is it? Why am I so irresponsible because I choose to legally consume marijuana for excessive frequent pain. Dont medical marijuana patients deserve the right to protect themselves too!

Warmest Regards,

James

When you went to get your permit, did they out and out ask you if you were an MMJ patient? or if you had a card? Just wondering if they are making it SOP to ask people. Actually I feel that is private and confidential information that is none of their business to know. They certainly do not ask if you are taking vocodin, etc.

Yes, they do ask you if you have a current or have an expired medical marijuana card. Its on the questionairre. You have to answer the question.

I don't think you should tell anyone you have a card. They have no legal way of Finding out unless you tell them.

I know, but I'm not going to lie and risk some sort of punishment. Besides, now everyone knows that they flat out ask you via questionairre if you have a current or expired medical marijuana card.

Hmmm, this sounds fishy. I just bought a new rifle and shotgun 2 months ago, and nowhere did it ask if I have an MMJ card. It asked if I used illegal drugs, which I answered "no". two minutes later voila! everything is cool with the ATF and we're buying a guns (Hi-Point 9mm carbine and a Remington 870 20 ga.)

Not aware of new questionaire

here is what mine said

"Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to marijuana or any stimulant , narcotic drug or any controlled substance?"

ATF form 4473 for all gun sales

Right, according to ATF memo - this question pertains to federal CSA - since marijuana is schedule 1 - there is NO lawful user per DEA/ATF.

I still meet patients and CG who were hunters or had self defense prior to the MMMAct, none of them will give up their right to possess a firearm for hunting or self defense.

I have suggested that homeowners stay away from cheap AK47s or even a nice M4 - any 'blackguns' that could just look bad for a jury trial. I am fine with them holding up a pump shotgun - but I would be nervous if the prosecutor was going to wave and 'lock n load' a M4 rifle - making me out as some terrorist or cartel. My opinion.

Do not let them see your MDCH MMMP card while buying a firearm, do not small talk about it, and how you answer the question on the FFL form - is between you and your conscience.

DN

I think some folks are confusing the gun permit from the police station with the ATF form you fill out when you purchase a gun. I am referring to the actual gun permit that you need to purchase a gun. You may want to contact the Shelby Twp. Police Department or the Michigan State Police with questions. The woman I spoke with is named "Julie". She works within the records department. She was the one that denied my gun permit, and can answer questions regarding the questionairre.

Warmest Regards,

James

Archived