Michigan Gun Law And Mmm Card

jamesd

Right, and the permit is only required when purchasing a handgun, not a shotgun or long rifle. Those forms are different in each county as well I believe, so it is up to the county.

Its been a long time since I have fired a gun, but I do believe it is a right and if someone can get drunk and own a gun, I should be able to use MMJ and own a gun. I hope the laws get straightened out on this.

Cedar

As stated that is just a national letter the ATF sent out to all registered arms dealers. If they suspect or have knowledge that the person is a marijuana user card or not, they are "instructed" by the ATF to deny the sale.

It is at the firearm dealers discretion if they sell to you or not. But I am pretty positive unless you know the dealer personally, you aren't getting anything from them. It's still to tricky right now and nobody wants to rock the boat. Especially a legit registered firearm dealer.

The solution to this is to not say anything and keep your mouth shut when purchasing. You are not required to inform anyone of your involvement with the medical marijuana act or being a registered patient. This includes law enforcement when coming in contact with. It is not like owning a weapon and CPL and having to inform the officer you are carrying.

However I would be ready for a sticky situation if you get pulled over, lie to the cop about having 2 ounces on you, he finds out and you chime in "oh oh but I'm a medical patient".. So use that at your own discretion.

I can tell you im not going to get rid of my guns just because I use a legal medicine that helps me every day.

Exactly. Hey I say we all join the NRA and be registered patients. Power in numbers right? lol.

Actually, this letter from ATF is directed to GUN DEALERS, I don't believe that it directly addresses gun owners who utilize medical cannabis. They simply cannot sell to card holders, but how are they or the ATF going to know that you hold a card, unless you tell them or your card falls out of your wallet while paying for your new handgun...don't ask, don't tell ...seems to apply here. Peace ... j.b.

^^ Ditto.

UPDATE!!! So, I went to the Shelby Twp. Police Department today to get my gun permit. I have an expired card and a DUI (Wisconsin) in 2006. Otherwise, my record is spotless. Guess which one prevented me from getting a gun permit? The person working in the records department said she would have to get back to me because of the medical card. The DUI didn't matter. She called me back about an hour later and stated she spoke with a representative for the Michigan State Police. You can obtain a gun permit only after one year has elapsed after the expiration date on your card. They will ask for your patient id and will check with the state of Michigan. Just so everyone knows.

So I'm renewing my medical card next week! Hopefully the law changes as I know several people with gun permits that are drunks or snort pills. Not really fair, is it? Why am I so irresponsible because I choose to legally consume marijuana for excessive frequent pain. Dont medical marijuana patients deserve the right to protect themselves too!

Warmest Regards,

James

Uhhh I call B.S. on this. One year after the date on your card? Where in the h-e-doubleL is this information at?

What law or what rule is this posted with? I'd like to see a lawyer chime in on this one because I think the

"rep" was blowing smoke up the ladies rear end. Either he/she thought it sounded good or it was a bad rumor floating

around the office or who knows. But I'm gunna call shenanigans on this one James.

Not aware of new questionaire

here is what mine said

"Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to marijuana or any stimulant , narcotic drug or any controlled substance?"

ATF form 4473 for all gun sales

"No, I am not an unlawful user of, or addicted to Marijuana or any other stimulant, narcotic drug or any controlled substance."

1) If you are a card holder, you are not an unlawful user of Marijuana.

2) Are you addicted to Marijuana? Because I'm not and I medicate daily. Yeah my day would really suck balls if I didn't medicate but I won't go off the deep end or have uncontrolled withdraw shakes. At best I might be cranky, and usually hot chocolate makes me less cranky, so problem fixed. Oh and I will be in pain because I don't have my meds to help relax my digestive track from cramping and seizing up. But then again hot chocolate usually makes my mood better. Hey, what exactly does an alcoholic go through when they don't get a drink for a day? Deep end? Check! Extreme irritability and unpredictable actions? Check! Shakes and other withdraw symptom's? Check!

Proud gun owner

Member of the NRA

State registered CPL owner

State registered MMMP

You can have my meds and my guns when you remove them from my cold dead hands.

"No, I am not an unlawful user of, or addicted to Marijuana or any other stimulant, narcotic drug or any controlled substance."

1) If you are a card holder, you are not an unlawful user of Marijuana.

2) Are you addicted to Marijuana? Because I'm not and I medicate daily. Yeah my day would really suck balls if I didn't medicate but I won't go off the deep end or have uncontrolled withdraw shakes. At best I might be cranky, and usually hot chocolate makes me less cranky, so problem fixed. Oh and I will be in pain because I don't have my meds to help relax my digestive track from cramping and seizing up. But then again hot chocolate usually makes my mood better. Hey, what exactly does an alcoholic go through when they don't get a drink for a day? Deep end? Check! Extreme irritability and unpredictable actions? Check! Shakes and other withdraw symptom's? Check!

Proud gun owner

Member of the NRA

State registered CPL owner

State registered MMMP

You can have my meds and my guns when you remove them from my cold dead hands.

Lets be clear - that question is being asked on a Federal level - since marijuana is Schedule 1 on the Federal level - with no 'medical use' - its all illegal. Don't blame me.

As far as waiting 1 year after your card expires - to buy a firearm - thats a first - I will try to confirm this on my own.

DN

i admint its been a while, but last time i purchased a handgun, they didn't ask me anything at the SP office, i filled my name and addy on a small form, they ran my stuff and in 10mins came back and said here is your purchase permit, bring it back with a gun in 10days so we can safety it, (really just register it to me) that was it. ya i know the atf has another form, and that is done by the gun shop, when you purchase, on federal gun purchases, brady bill crap.. and run ya again.

Uhhh I call B.S. on this. One year after the date on your card? Where in the h-e-doubleL is this information at?

What law or what rule is this posted with? I'd like to see a lawyer chime in on this one because I think the

"rep" was blowing smoke up the ladies rear end. Either he/she thought it sounded good or it was a bad rumor floating

around the office or who knows. But I'm gunna call shenanigans on this one James.

Are you calling Shenanigans on me or the PD?

Please call 586-731-2121. Dial 1 for the records department. Ask for Julie. Ask her how long you must wait after your card expires to get a firearms permit. They are open Mon-Fri and close at 4:30. She told me she spoke with a rep for the Michigan State Police. I've never seen this published anywhere, but if anyone wants to follow up with the Shelby Twp. Police Department and post their findings here, I would sincerely appreciate it. I would also like to hear a lawyers opinion on this. Lets avoid forming unresearched assumptions and calling Shenanigans until we get a couple more folks to call the police station and ask some questions. Our findings will help out future readers of this thread as this is now a hot topic in the MM community. Also, this is my first gun permit ever, so I am new to this entire process. I'm just reporting my experience as it happened. I hope that I am helping someone by starting this tread.

Warmest Regards,

James

Are you calling Shenanigans on me or the PD?

Please call 586-731-2121. Dial 1 for the records department. Ask for Julie. Ask her how long you must wait after your card expires to get a firearms permit. They are open Mon-Fri and close at 4:30. She told me she spoke with a rep for the Michigan State Police. I've never seen this published anywhere, but if anyone wants to follow up with the Shelby Twp. Police Department and post their findings here, I would sincerely appreciate it. I would also like to hear a lawyers opinion on this. Lets avoid forming unresearched assumptions and calling Shenanigans until we get a couple more folks to call the police station and ask some questions. Our findings will help out future readers of this thread as this is now a hot topic in the MM community. Also, this is my first gun permit ever, so I am new to this entire process. I'm just reporting my experience as it happened. I hope that I am helping someone by starting this tread.

Warmest Regards,

James

that seeems...ignorant, why would someone call the cops like that....why would someone offer up medical information when trying to buy a gun? most normal people wouldn't because it doesnt apply....There is no law on the book that says a medical patient cant buy a gun....none. u understand what i mean like there is NO LAW that says that. yes i know about the dumb note the atf sent out.....no law, no there is a law that says if you have a medical card you can not be punished, refused lic, etc....

Now its just fine if you want to let the police control your life, have at it, call em n ask em if its ok to medicate. they will tell you know then what?

My intent is not to be "ignorant," but to be transparent. What if I were to ever use lethal force with a firearm? What if, somehow, my use of medical marijuana was thrown into the mix? What if they look back at my gun permit and look at how I aswered the question? Quite a few "what ifs" that I do not want to disregard. But I guess in your case, Ganjawarrior, ignorance is bliss.

On a final note... I never asked anyone to give police information. You can call and ask a question. It's not very hard to do.

Regards,

James

Archived