Root Problem

Well I've ran into a huge problem with my next set of plants.

From what I can tell I've got root rot.

I know exactly how it happened. First spotted it last week. Lost 2 plant from what I can tell I disconnected the airline that went to that bucket (that line had a splutter going to two buckets, one with a plant one without)

Pulled that plant and drained the system then put in fresh water and nutes plus 29% peroxide.

Everything seemed fine until today. Looks like I have another plant with it. Found a small amount of slime, which I removed, and the water in that bucket looks nasty.

Since the judo stores are closed I'm heading there in the morning to grab more peroxide.also pulling the plants and putting them in temp buckets while I wash their system with bleach water.

Any other suggestions? To deal with this?

BTW running bubble buckets w/about 40 gal nutes. The water temps are running high (upper 70's) but from everything that shouldn't be a problem because of the air running in the system.

high dissolved air content or not high temps no good!!! you are looking at two possibilities one bad one worse.....pythium root rot -bad butwith resevoir temps maintained at 68 - 70 !!!! no higher the worse case scenario is it is hydro herpes - a.ka.k the slime alot like pythium but much worse its actually called blue green algea and once it spores oout that building is forever contaminated and you will always get slimmed no matter what - unless u can sterilize every sq . in of buildingBUT there is still hope for the herpes contaminating building grows- its called zone by dutch masters 5 ml/ 5.3 gallon ...with this product you can still do hydro in that infected building.

If you didn't use the peroxide a capful of bleach per gal often clears the water after hand removing the gunk and bad root parts ( do not mix chemicals remove the peroxide if you want to try the bleach ) . Clean the filter on your pump and increase flow to the max possible for your system plus make sure your circulation pump filter and air stone are clean . Adjust PH soluable dolomite lime up acid down . I use petes 20 20 20 for veg which always raises my PH . Good luck , mine cleared up and my roots took off after I kept the PH perfect between 6 and 6.5 with just Petes at a pinch per gallon and soluable lime . I had a few spots on leaves when I first used the bleach the key is the circulation . Micro additives like one cap per gallon for bleach is pleny strong enough and I keep the water temp between 65 -70 . Air temps 55-70 . Humidity 40% . Works for me but make sure you flush at least twice with clear water the last 2 weeks . Roots grow back pretty fast in a properly adjusted system . I have seen allot of people hack off all but the first foot or so of the root ball and transplant into dirt for flowering after veging in hydro .Fast start with the good taste of dirt Myself I leave em in one place start to finish most the time and just keep learning . Keep everything cheap and simple but start with F! genetics . .

I say..trash them, start new clones from an uniffected mother and fix the problems that caused this in the first place..save yourself the trouble and resources...but first be sure its rot and not just brown algae or organic crap.(literally)

The question then becomes how can I tell the difference between the two? I've just started growing this year so I'm new to all of this.

It's all a learning experience which is a good thing but it sucks at the same time.

Blackjack

First are you using any organic products, myco products, anything that has organic matter in it?Does it stink?DO the brown affected areas peel away easily when you touch them?or does it just wipe off?Is there any type of light entering the solution, even a LITTLE?Usually h202(29percent)will fix the brown algae..Im not a dwc(I assume this is what your doing)expert but these are usually the first questions to anwser..water temp as well.Are your buckets connected?If so and it is rot, then all of them will eventually be infected.

put infected plants in the shower. let the city water flush the problem away while you clean your system top to bottom. fix your environment and use better nutes. bet your using foxfarm, you need DynaGro

That's a bet you would have lost, I'm using ionic in that system. My other system I'm running ghost with the Lucas method.

I plan on switching everything to ghost and Lucas bit those plants started with the ionic so I figured I would keep running it since they are 6 wks into flower.

Heading to hydro store in a few to pick up supplies to fight this.

I can't just pull the plants. Gonna clean the system toss in some peroxide and make a compost tea I found here and here.

I'll post the results. I figure if I toss em they are dead, to me that's almost the same as doing nothing. At least if I try to fix the problem even if they die I will still have learned something and as a result turned a negative into a positive.

Blackjack

they are never the same after they are sick.. its easier to just plant a new clone..

by the time these plants come out of shock and start vegging right u could have a clone about the same size.

peroxide never works.. ya first day or 2 they look ok, but after that the bacteria explodes worse than ever..

now if u have brown algae its allot easier to get rid of!!! go to pet store find terta algae killer.. couple drops per gallon of water.. and its cheap.. problem solved.

only real cure for root rot is beneficial bacteria, sub culture b is the best.. most bang for the buck.. dont use the sub m and b together in a hydro grow. the sub m will cause a microsial outbreak. best just to use sub b on its own.. mix at half recommended dose.. or u will end up with white slime roots.. but if this happens dont freak out, with in 2 days all bad root is gone and a new bush of white roots shoot everywhere.

carefull with those teas..some are great others are snake oil..

Well the cleaning has begun draining the system now. The one plant is for sure a loss but if I can save the others it should be OJ.

The problem with starting a new set of clones is that will take about 2 weeks. Then I either throw them into veg for another 2 weeks or straight into flower. These plants are in week 6 of flower.

And as I said I would rather try to save them and they all die than just kill them now just for the learning experience.

Either way I'm out nothing and if I do pull it off it wont be a total loss and I've learned something in the process that maybe I can pass along to somebody else in the future.

Blackjack

• 3 weeks later...

Archived