When To Clone?

tooldini

I would clone now, waiting longer just decreases your chances and takes a whole hell of alot longer.clonex gel, clonex clone solution, rockwool..good to go.I know alot of people like to take the lower growth for clones..I do not, I like to take the tops of my plants as clones, they come out ALOT stronger then the weak lower growth.

Since someone mentioned cloning off a flowering plant : How long does it usually take for a clone that was in flowering to revert back to a vegatative state ?

I actually had a light issue in my room and two clones grew roots and went into flower . They are barely 8 inches . I am still working on creating a seperate area for veg so I grabbed them up and set them under a large appliance box with a few low wattage 2700 k bulbs on 24 hours . I don't want to loose this strain . Some say just start over from seed others say give it a few weeks they will revert into veg and be ok ( not hermie ) . This is from a F1 plant so if it did hermie I might want to keep it under the box and raise it for seed right ?

I would say even longer. Cloning from a budded plant can take six weeks if it will clone at all. I would never suggest doing it unless it's an emergency. I recommend building or buying an aerocloner. Making one is much cheaper than purchasing an EZ Cloner. But to me (and I've tried every method mentioned here) there is no comparison.

If you want to avoid root bound plants, get some smart pots. They're cheap and will aerate the root zone.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I cloned them 51 days into flower LOL that was on January 8th and I noticed roots coming thru the rockwool cubes today. I just clipped the pieces off the plants cut off the larger buds, cut the stem at an agle then gently kinda peeled the end of the stem with a razer blade. I did not use rooting products just stuffed them in the cubes got them real wet and put them in a little greenhouse then under 3 CFL's on 24hrs. I am sure they won't turn out to the best biggest plants but I bet I get some meds from them :)

Cloning 51 days into flower might give you some odd looking babies when roots start to form. It would not be unusual for you to see some leaves that are just one single looking finger rather than the traditional looking 'hand' shape that most leaves have. It will also take twice as long for them to snap out of flower once you put them into a veg cycle and could have some unusual leaf curl too.

As another poster stated, I also highly recommend taking any cuttings prior to putting your plants into flower. It will only make things easier on you as your success rate will be much higher and your plants much happier getting taken while still in veg. I'm not saying you cant take cuttings once your plants are in flower, but arent we all here to try and make things easier.......just tryin to make it easier on ya.

Oh, and p.s. If you put your cuttings into a dome with the cutting in pre-moistened media then you DO NOT NEED TO SPRAY AT ALL. As the media evaporates a little into the sealed dome the moisture will have no where to go except into the atmosphere of the dome creating humidity. When you start spraying you will almost certainly be creating way too much moisture getting root rot or worse rotting on the actual leaves. Your cuttings should be standing tall from day 1 till you remove rooted cuttings. Ask youself, why am I spraying? If its to get moisture in your dome then you can stop because moisture will end up in the air anyway from the above process naturally occuring. You should never have water droplets all over the leaves of cuttings that are rooting. Remember they pull moisture from the air, not pools on thier leaves.

I found one seed that germinated saving this strain . I also had another f1 plant and pollinated with it obtaining seeds of the mix . Do cannabis seeds require a period of cold dormancy like a cherry seed ? Or can you plant a seed as soon as it dries or even before ? I felt this is fair game to ask here since were trying to propogate as fast as possible .

I found one seed that germinated saving this strain . I also had another f1 plant and pollinated with it obtaining seeds of the mix . Do cannabis seeds require a period of cold dormancy like a cherry seed ? Or can you plant a seed as soon as it dries or even before ? I felt this is fair game to ask here since were trying to propogate as fast as possible .

Most cannabis seeds do not require a cold period, but some growers like to do it. I personally prefer fresh seed, the older it gets the lower the germ. rate gets.

I've had some outdoor plants that were seeded actually sprout still on the bud when I tried to push em for harvest. darn hurricane that year slammed us with a low pressure system and they got soaked lol.

Archived