A Look Into Longhair's Laboratory

LongHairBri

I like hydroton, btw. It's cheap, easy and works.

Start simple. Go through being convoluted. Go back to being simple.

Even though I can do a lot of things, I've reduced things over the years to be as lazy as a Lebowski.  Open bag, add water, repeat.  I've developed my own personal conservative scale of rewards vs. diminishing returns.  If I went back to hydro, hydroton would fit that bill.

edit: Whoa LH, sorry dude.  Didn't realize this convo was in your thread. Sorry for the OT.

• 1 month later...

Yes i used dynagrow.i know how to flush .was trying to figure the best way to drainn rez and system .so i can put fresh water in to flush.i was thinking about some long rubber hose to hook up to rez pump and run hose to bath tub..and do the same for control bucket.? Just looking for the best way to do this..btw this system works great.very easy great results.no more dirt for me

Yes i used dynagrow.i know how to flush .was trying to figure the best way to drainn rez and system .so i can put fresh water in to flush.i was thinking about some long rubber hose to hook up to rez pump and run hose to bath tub..and do the same for control bucket.? Just looking for the best way to do this..btw this system works great.very easy great results.no more dirt for me

great endorsement:  my LHB system is for sale

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have yet to read through the whole thread (on page 10 right now) but I am going to try this. Bri, I don't know who you are, but THANK YOU so ver much! This guide seems promising and I'm excited to try it.

I am going to do a side by side comparison grow of this DWC/EBB combo and of soil. I have a couple questions though before I start making this. They are as follow:

1. How far do you space the buckets and can you put them right next to eachother?

2. How many watts so I want per plant? I'm guessing around ~200w/plant? This would be 5-6 per 1kw. So if I'm doing, let's say, 3-4kw I would have ~24 max?

3. I'm going to have a section consisting of 4kw stationary and a section being moved consisting of 3-4kw depending. Which should I put the DWC/EBB under? I've experienced with soil so I  feel That the DWC should probably get the stationary light so I can eliminate variables.

4. When the plants roots are suspended intho the bucket and the system is OFF, do the roots dangle in the water? My interpretation of it is that they do sit in the water but the Air stone is constatly pushing bubbles up so that the water is not stagnant, thus not creating any "slime" or "root rot".

5. When the system turns ON, does the water flood up to the pebbles and soak main roots for awhile and then turn OFF?

I really am excited to try this out! I hope I can do it successfully because it sure seems promising.

Edited by AnotherPatient

• 2 months later...

wow. ok, let's see if I can help

1. doesn't really apply. you could put 12 plants under 1 light and 1 plant under another light........the harvest will be similar

I have my buckets close but I don't use them all on each grow. the plants fill in the area their given

2. easy, AS MANY AS YOU CAN AFFORD while maintaining environment. I also like light movers. not used to stretch out the canopy, but to eliminate hot-spots and shading. gets the light closer and fills in lower buds

3. well, you can see above, I like movers for almost every garden......so.......  I can tell you that if all your experience is in soil you'll need to watch your plants, the processes is MUCH quicker in veg, so topping/training, cloning and size all need to be kept up on

4. the root ball mass does sit in the water/bubble area. when in veg a longer static level tube is used to keep the system 1/2 filled between floods allowing the bubbles to percolate into the rocks, delivering O2 and nutes to new plants. when the roots start coming thru the bottom holes, you can switch back to the normal static level tube in rez

and, 5. two timers/pumps are used in this system. one floods, one empties. the timers need to be in sync and it confuses a lot of people, BUT, it really simple....

first, use the timers I recommended. they have 15 minute intervals,run the same and are solid.

now, set BOTH timers to be ON for 15 min.(1 pin) every 3 hours (am- 3, 6, 9,12/ pm- 3, 6, 9, 12). MAKE DOUBLE SURE your setting the correct pins on the correct side of clock dials. there WILL be the same number of OFF pins between one's you set to ON or there's a mistake somewhere.

now, this is where it confuses people......whatever time it is has NO bearing or place in setting up these timers to work for our system. YOU WILL NEVER SET THE TIMERS BY CLOCK/CURRENT TIME....... now, mark 1 timer as FLOOD, 1 as DRAIN. plug pump from barrel into FLOOD timer, plug pump from rez into DRAIN. here's how it works. you will be doing this all the time and it's easy. turn the clock face of the FLOOD timer to ANY pin where it's about to start. it takes extra pressure to get the clock face to turn to ON, so if you adjust lightly, it will catch before coming on. miss it?? turn to the next. the ## doesn't matter........  the DRAIN timer is then set by looking at the dial/clock-face. turn it till it's 2 pins from a starting pin....that's it....done

the flood timer about to come on, the drain timer set 2 pins from coming on.......leaving you 15min flood, 15min soak. 15min drain every 3 hours day and night.........

if I am ever in doubt I reset...flood about to start, drain starting in a couple pins

Happy Hydro, LHB

• 2 years later...

you can go as big or small as you wish, but i think in the  number of plants rather than the size of the bucket. roots need room to grow a nice plant .. imho,. but only have two or three.. use number 5 buckets not 5g although they will work for you..  but if you only have three plants that would surely be scaled down.

you can go as big or small as you wish, but i think in the  number of plants rather than the size of the bucket. roots need room to grow a nice plant .. imho,. but only have two or three.. use number 5 buckets not 5g although they will work for you..  but if you only have three plants that would surely be scaled down.

Thanks! I obviously need to science this out a bit more! =)