A Look Into Longhair's Laboratory

LongHairBri

I dig the new logo and embedded link!

Question:

I know that 1/3 full, or to put it another way, 1" away from the bottom of the net pot is the proper low water level. I thought it was for both veg and flower.

Someone mentioned that they thought you ran a lower low water level in your flower buckets then in your veg buckets. Is that true?

my system does have 2gal. for veg then a 5gal lid to adapt to the 5's in bloom

I now just make the system with all 5gal sites and buy the netpots to fit.

there is no decernable difference in veg between the two as far as the plants go.

it saves a few steps by not making your own 2gal grow buckets, and a couple bucks in material and hydroton

• 2 weeks later...

Starting building the LHB DWC/EBB&FLOW system, should be a few more days to get everything built and installed. But will be a few weeks to get up and running as I all ready have some soil plants in flower and a few ready to go in, it will be a gradual change over. I like the simplicity of the system as I do not have a large amount of time to work in the garden. With hand watering everything right now, it takes up all the little time I have, and everything is suffering. No time to really look at the plants, general room clean up, or even getting clones going :( Hoping this will be the magic bullet for my time issues, or at least helpout.

But, with your system I take it you run the nutes all the way to harvest with no flush. Do you get a chem taste or any harshness from not doing a flush?

Also have you ever thought about tapping a 1/4" line off of the flood hose to also top feed the plants?

There are some that flush and some that don't.

This system recommends keeping the ppm at 1000, which keeps the ph close to 5.8.

1000ppm is not very strong. Before I used this system, I was running as high as 1300ppm. I would try to get burnt tips. As a downside, I was always adjusting the ph and I had to flush.

Now the ph hardly varies, the plants are never burnt. Green healthy leaves right up until harvest. And nutes do not build up and then have to be flushed.

Edited by Honeyoil

nothing worse than meds with nute (salt) build-up. black ash and a smell/taste I can detect before even opening the bag......gross

now, how do you flush a plant growing in the ground?? everything the plant needs is available but not in excessive amounts

Lucas method is designed with the same philosophy. the man was genius!

using DynaGro Bloom 2:1 with MagPro and ProTekt as needed from start to finish @ 1000ppm is key. with the stability in pH, slow drift in nutes. it's fool-proof. and the plants THRIVE. whatever time your vegging plants for now, deduct 30% to 50% in this system...or get higher ceilings!!

Plants don't get that deep, almost blue, green in veg. just beautiful, healthy color, nice change in bloom. purpling, sugar die-off near harvest. all happening right next to a plant that's been in for 2 weeksand is still spreading out filling in any space it can reach, with nice flower development already showing. nutes in balance with the plants. plants take what they need, if/when they need it. not over fertilized or under fed.

I've seen feedcharts (AN) cycling as high as 2200ppm. I think they lowered it to 1800 now, and suggest you swap out nutes every 1-2 weeks to make way for the next formula. with 5, 8 10...up to what, isn't there 14 AN additives now? then tracked from a chart?? so what?? every plant has the exact same growth rate and lifecycle. thats just not how it is...

lucas calc. rez to 1000 after every refill. 2:1 Bloom/MagPro and ProTekT as needed (watch your pH).

note:

ProTeKt is a silica additive. the mineral is abpsorbed into the cell walls of every cell. it strenghtens and re-enforces every cell. make it harder for any pests to feed, makes the flowers denser/harder, and (my favorite part) it makes harvesting a SNAP! I say snap, and suggested use "as needed" because, when harvesting a finished plant. every fan leaf SNAPS right off when pulled. no long string/fibers ripping off lower buds, slowing the process to minimize damage. with silica at right level, I hang a whole plant upside down and pluck every leaf off with an upward tug. I use both hands independtly and can clean an entire plant clean of fan leaves in minutes...like pluckin' feathers off a chicken....but thats how I roll!!

NO OTHER POTIONS, ELIXERS, SNAKE OIL OR MAGIC.

only a few consumables to buy at your growshop EVER..

3 nutes/suppliments

DynaGro Bloom 3-12-6 Blooming Formula

Mag-Pro 2-15-4 Sulfur & Magnesium Booster

Pro-TeKt 0-0-3 The Silicon Solution

pest prevention/pH adjustment

DynaGro Pure Neem Oil Organic Leaf Polish, or/and

azamax or azatrol or aza-whatever

GH pH UP

and a Root-Gel or Powder

I don't use ANY calendars, charts, dates, NOTHING... Just a ppm pen, a pH pen, a 60X loop, nametags and a few zip-ties to denote the last/youngest of a strain (a reminder to clone before bloom)....... other than that.... the plants and pens tell me what to do, and when to do it......from clone to harvest

I pull a few leaves in flower weekly looking for pests and seeing if they are snapping off or wanting to make rope. if they aren't snapping clean, I add PT as same level required for CM in next rez refill. add 1oz. pH up, and check pH again every day till in the zone. usually a couple days, only 1-1,5oz pH-up at a time.

as for pH. it really does stay pretty stable. I use straight city water to fill/nute then check the next day. rarely needs adjustment unless it's ProTec day. if/when adjustment is needed, I take it slow. I never add more than 1oz. pH-up per day. slow...like nature

when I notice that the rez is needing pH correction every time it's checked, it's time to drain and re-fill.

with RO water, your gonna be struggling with your pH more. DarkMatter can attest to the issues. RO users will also be doing drain/fill more often. Mine lasts around 3 months. I think you'd be lucky to get 2 weeks out of RO

I hate RO anyway, but not EVERY one lives on the detroit water system grid. I would rather use RO then some smelly well water

When I lived in Brighton, I had 5 milk crates in my trunk and would fill 16 gallons whenever I was somewhere with city water, add to rez, repeat.

total pain, but for the girls??? WORTH IT!!

straight city is all I use in aero-cloner too. clorine is your friend

I add PT as same level required for CM in next rez refill.

Sorry kind of new to the hydro stuff :unsure: , what do you mean by this, what is CM?

I have been growing soil and was told AN was the way to go, not liking it one bit and way to much crap to deal with, one of the major reason I'm switching stuff up. Also when I did some research on Lucas there seem to be a hundred different formulas, which one are you using for your system.

and you are the man :bow::blow-a-heart: thank you for the great info

Q-tipper that is just way to sick, I hope this will work out for me just the same, I'm tired of my charlie brown trees <_<

Edited by Vicar Toadstool

Sorry kind of new to the hydro stuff :unsure: , what do you mean by this, what is CM?

I have been growing soil and was told AN was the way to go, not liking it one bit and way to much crap to deal with, one of the major reason I'm switching stuff up. Also when I did some research on Lucas there seem to be a hundred different formulas, which one are you using for your system.

Q-tipper that is just way to sick, I hope this will work out for me just the same, I'm tired of my charlie brown trees <_<

CM is CalMag, MagPro, or CaMg....all calcium/magnesium supplements

I think Advanced Nutrients is a front for Monsanto,

instead of working to "advance" growing science, they consistantly look for ways to separate each invidual compound or mineral a plant needs and bottle/market it separately, acting like their making breakthru's in research, all the while just sourcing their chemicals as cheaply as possible from China, THEN publish charts/feed sched./suggested PPM's as high as they could (their breakthru) without poisioning a plant....all to "advance" their bottom line

I can taste AN.....even after flushing....of course, they got a bottle for that too!!!

Lucas formula for DynaGro is 10ml/galBloom and 5ml/gal MagPro

the way we've been doing it is with member Jipo's AWESOME droid app. I believe it's linked on his profile page

After a few you almost know...I can guess within...........How close DarkMatter????? lol

Glad to see everything back up and running :jig:

Ok so I want to make sure I have the operation correct...

when I get everthing hooked up and filled with regular city tap water I will add 10ml Bloom and 5ml MagPro for each gallon (should I also add ProTekt at 5ml per gal on this first fill?) Then turn on the pumps and let everything mix up good then check ph and adjust accordingly at no more than 1oz ph per day. Then when it comes time to top off the res I would use the lucas addback formula (tried link in Jipo's profile its a no go, but don't have a smart phone any how) to figure out how much bloom/magpro to add and if the leaves to not "snap" off then also add protekt at 5ml per gallon (or equal to the magpro in the addback formula?)

Does anyone know the addback formula that I should be using, I would like to just crunch the numbers myself? (Found a formula thats: ((target ppm - current ppm) / target ppm) * ml per gallon * res gallons = nutes to add back < so lets say I have a current ppm of 630ppm after refilling the res so then the math would be ((1000-630)/1000) * 10 * 55 = 203.5 ml of Bloom to add back and half that or 101.75ml of MagPro > Is this correct?

Started looking at layout of the buckets in my room and have a couple of questions. First what should the spacing be around, I'm looking at about 19-19.5" on center is this to close? This first layout would be in a 4x3 pattern then other idea would to be to offset the pattern so I would have a row of three then a row of two then another row of three and so on, but this would allow for a 24" center bucket. I'm not sure what strains I will be growing in this setup but probably indicas and indica dominate strains and planning on 2 weeks cloning cycle with 4 weeks of veg then to flower.

Edited by Vicar Toadstool

• 2 weeks later...

protekt is a silica suppliment. I add on first fill....then wait for the plants to ask for more......when I pluck a leaf it better snap off w/o a long string attached...if it's making rope, I add PT again

when i do decide it's protekt time, it gets 1 dose at calmag level

the add back formula is stored somewhere on my computer...I'll look for it, but the "add back calc" is just awesome....and easy THANKS JIPO!!!!

as for spacing.......I believe that plants grow to their space and light given.........2, 12 or 20 will produce the same amount of meds in about the same time

I just helped a warehouse grower....over 250 lbs........from 2000sf, 20.000watts.........................................32 plants (trees)////over 8lbs each

spacing and plant count doesn't really matter....it's total space and light that make the real differences

these 5 guys are licenced in Yipsi by the city to supply their local dispenceries, inspected by building dept before opening, and licenced by the state MMMP

with full card sets

....so....................NO, I'd guess not to every view of the law

they usually harvest only the 4+ lbs. they can possess at a time.

this time, demand and the calender didn't allow a staggered harvest..............so I helped

these guys show up with a full 55 gal. trashbag of trim to be made into BHO every 2.5 months, I LOVE THEM!!!!!!

it's not every day I get to make 6+oz. of strain specific oil per batch!! and they grow 4 different strains

last time made WAY over a POUND (almost 2) of BHO!!!! a personal record

took 3-4 cases of butane per run and a 1 FULL day per strain, my commission was over a quarter pound of wax !!!!!!!!!!!

did I say I LOVE THEM? 'cuz I DO!!!!

probably as much as my butane guy LOVES me!! lol

I've been getting 3 master cases every few weeks.......thats over 200 cans

he now calls me every couple weeks to check my supply to make sure I'm stocked