A Look Into Longhair's Laboratory

LongHairBri

i would think there are plenty of pics in this thread, I suggest start on page one and go through the thread. LHB has done a fine job outlining this system.

Toadstools Cave (a thread on this forum) has great complete pics of his rez and control bucket and also has a suggestion for how he upgraded his float from the $18 to the $37. I had to get help from someone who had taken a couple weeks to build his system so we did in a parts of just 2 days what... you get my drift. With someone who has done it....Thanks Mr. Spongle. The rez pumps to the control bucket which allows via the float in the control bucket the solution to flow to the plant buckets. Then full plant buckets flow back to the control bucket where a pump pushes it back to the rez.

dose anyone have pic of the rez and control bucket...i am a little bit confused on how its connected to the system.i am about to build a 12 bucket system for flower .running 2 1000 watt hps.any pics would b helpful

A pump goes from the rez to the float valve on the control bucket. (flood)

make sure to include the syphon break.

and another pump goes from the control bucket back into the rez (drain)

IMG_20130319_152003_zps30895e99.jpg

IMG_20130319_152441_zpse5ebc705.jpg

IMG_20130319_151921_zpsedf5bb72.jpg

IMG_20130319_151932_zpsf744ef7c.jpg

IMG_20130319_151953_zps15d21d04.jpg

Also take percautions with root rot and pythium, it will spread like wildfire if it ever finds its way into your system, I had it come in on some clones and it almost wiped out my veg room, it normally looks a lot better in there.

If you ever do get root rot (it is a disease not an environmental affliction) use SM 90 it will clear it up. Keep your water cool clean and highly oxygenated, and watch the roots of any clones you bring in.

Hey Dark,

Nice collection of rocks in your net pots--any of those from the beach?

Nope. They are called Growstones http://www.growstone.com/

Since Hydroton is gone now, I am searching for a new medium...and I think I have found it. Those are new transplants so I will let you all know how they work out.

They are super light and have a very very high surface area. I like them so far.

• 4 months later...

Whaaaaaaat?

Nope. They are called Growstones http://www.growstone.com/

Since Hydroton is gone now, I am searching for a new medium...and I think I have found it. Those are new transplants so I will let you all know how they work out.

They are super light and have a very very high surface area. I like them so far.

@LH  nice work.

Edited by greenleaf

I hate hydroton.

So do I; hydroton rolls. 

I prefer lava rocks, bot at from Home Depot, the red lava rocks.  They are irregular with lots more surface area, for DO, plus the pits and holes carry beneficial bacterium.  I like adding an organic grow touch to my hydro, and they do it.

Edited by pic book

So do I; hydroton rolls. 

I prefer lava rocks, bot at from Home Depot, the red lava rocks.  They are irregular with lots more surface area, for DO, plus the pits and holes carry beneficial bacterium.  I like adding an organic grow touch to my hydro, and they do it.

I haven't grown hydroponics in 4 years and still some of that stuff rolls in the basement

I like hydroton, btw. It's cheap, easy and works.

Start simple. Go through being convoluted. Go back to being simple.

Even though I can do a lot of things, I've reduced things over the years to be as lazy as a Lebowski.  Open bag, add water, repeat.  I've developed my own personal conservative scale of rewards vs. diminishing returns.  If I went back to hydro, hydroton would fit that bill.

LHB,

Back almost 6 months ago, someone gave a thumbs up to Growstone.  Have you tried it?   I have been using it for about a year and very pleased with it.   No more clay balls roling around the floor and lighter and easier to work with.  I found it comes in 2 sizes, I like the smaller size for my 5 inch net pots.