Led Lights

Ezrah

No I have not. So I do not have the knowledge you do. However for the price vs. lumems HID still trumps LEDs. I'm all for experimentation with new tech though so cheers to you.

Hey Nix thanks for that, yup its new for sure and I was very skeptical to start. When you consider my lights will last 7-10 years, and you have to replace bulbs the total cost apples to apples evens out. Bottom line new stuff ain't for everyone anyone who wants to pick my brain or curious feel free to PM me. I did a lot of research and of course I am like everyone else I think I have the best grow plan and setup, that just means its good for me.

So anyway this is a community that shares info and I spent many hours researching LEDs and happy to share what I have learned with others, or talk with other LED growers, always looking to learn more myself. It was hard to cut through the BS and get down to real info.

Regards, Ez

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interested in the possibility of using an LED as additional lighting that would generate little heat.

Which Advanced setup would you recommend for flowering 2 medium sized plants in a room already lit with 2 600w HID?

LED's offer a light spectrum that is designed for the plants to take in. Sounds like you got plenty of light but jsut want to add the spectrum you gain with LED. IF that is the case they have little spot lights for 70 bucks low watt output they are designed for what I think you are talking about. see product in this link. http://www.advancedledlights.com/products/SpectraBoost-Grow-Spotlight-%252d-15w-High-Intensity-LED-Grow-Light.html I actually have a few of these when I first started I had a florescent hood for clones and got these to supplement, I decided to sell the hod and go all LED, if you want them and go to the market I can give them to you, if you have a buck or two to donate thats cool but not needed, I am not using them.

Ez, if ya wanna flower four plants, how would ya do it with leds?

Depends on how big the plants are, I settled on the 200 watt lights just because of the coverage area per dollar. So per square foot of coverage this gives you the most bang for you buck. Look at my gallery you will see some pics of my grow room, I will take some more pics this weekend so you get a sense. The 200 Watt lights are suppose to deliver 3' x 3' of core coverage. When they are side by side light that they have some overlap, they really light a 4.5' x 4.5 foot area but this kinda coverage gives the best results. So really I am over lighting but I really think there is no such thing with LED, I actually have had to run a heater my room at times. The overall flowering room is 9' x 15', so I have a ring of LED around the room. When I first put them in flowering plants are small i fit 6-8 plants under one light. Once they are closer to harvest and getting 4-5 feet tall then I have one 200 watt over 4 plants, you want to see some light go all the way through to the floor if you no see that then you got your plants packed in to tight. I was skeptical with advanced and LED in general I figured I would but a few and use them if they not good I could return them in 90 days that would allow me to flower one set of plants, well I never sent them back I am a happy guy.

There are a few other LED that are good out there you don't have to go with Advanced I did so I am just more familiar with them, don't want to make this about buying there lights I just want to share what I have learned with lots of time and research on the subject.

Depends on how big the plants are, I settled on the 200 watt lights just because of the coverage area per dollar. So per square foot of coverage this gives you the most bang for you buck. Look at my gallery you will see some pics of my grow room, I will take some more pics this weekend so you get a sense. The 200 Watt lights are suppose to deliver 3' x 3' of core coverage. When they are side by side light that they have some overlap, they really light a 4.5' x 4.5 foot area but this kinda coverage gives the best results. So really I am over lighting but I really think there is no such thing with LED, I actually have had to run a heater my room at times. The overall flowering room is 9' x 15', so I have a ring of LED around the room. When I first put them in flowering plants are small i fit 6-8 plants under one light. Once they are closer to harvest and getting 4-5 feet tall then I have one 200 watt over 4 plants, you want to see some light go all the way through to the floor if you no see that then you got your plants packed in to tight. I was skeptical with advanced and LED in general I figured I would but a few and use them if they not good I could return them in 90 days that would allow me to flower one set of plants, well I never sent them back I am a happy guy.

There are a few other LED that are good out there you don't have to go with Advanced I did so I am just more familiar with them, don't want to make this about buying there lights I just want to share what I have learned with lots of time and research on the subject.

thanks, that's about what I was thinking too.

People have messaged me about my electric bill, I run 10 200 watt lights total between flowering room veg room for $100 a month. Well that is what my bill went up com paired to last year, I do also run AC in my house and we had a hot summer in 2011, I am on the budget plan with electric, pay the same each month based on a annual average. So some of that increase could have been my home ac unit. I am not cooling my room, even in the summer, I run exhaust fans pulling air out of my room and through filters, and pull new air in from the house, very low airflow. So the air going into my room is from the basement which stays pretty constant.

Regards,

Ez, no question. Buds respond better to led lights. The advantage of blending with hps(400 watt) is that the hps has a greater coverage area. Thus your garden can be larger. Cycle buds under the leds for best results while having a large garden.

You wants these spot LED's then? I am not using them

Have any of you thought of something like this http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/36--LEDs--DIY-Dimmable-Kit.html . It is a DIY kit and you can choose what you want as far as 3w LED's and stuff. Prices seem pretty good

been there, done that. Nothing wrong with going that way. Not exactly, however, an amature project. Ya gotta solder, and must be able to trouble shoot

Been looking into getting some of the UFO LED lights offered on ebay. These all contain 45 individual 3w leds in them. Some are rated at a total 90watt output and some have a 135w output.. Would you prefer a unit that used 2 out of the 3 possible watts per bulb, therefore prolonging the life of the unit? or go with the full 3 of 3 for the 135 total watts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90W-QUAD-BAND-LED-GROW-LIGHT-UFO-90-WATT-QUADBAND-3W-leds-/180736267383?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a14b89477

I have been looking into the Pro-Grow 260 from hydroponics hut, do you know anything about them? They have a switch to go from veg spectrum to bloom and use 3w cree chipsets...I'm really interested in knowing if anyone has personal experience using this series as the main lighting.

This looks like a version of the Advanced light just painted black, I would call and ask them some questions about it, the data on the sight is a little sparse for my taste.

What is your gram per watt with these?

I grow about 4 plants per 200 watt light in the final days of flowering and yielding 1 1/2 oz per plant now, growing Kush in dirt, organically, those are all things that go towards quality over quantity

Archived