Moldy Medicine?

I'm wondering about a few different strains of medicine stored together for a year and not sealed well... they all share a mildewy smell... like a damp basement. What should be done with it?

The thread below shows a pic of moldy medicine. Does anyone have any other pics to show? Are there at-home tests that can be done?

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/29685-a-patients-rights-to-quality-meds/page__view__findpost__p__278342

If you say anything but throw it out they will jump on caregivers and say we need more regulation . It wasn't cured properly and once it has molded it is too late unless this was grey mold during the grow . Every cannabis user or tobacconist has had to do this at one time or another . It's not the end of the world and you will free up some of your weight limit .

If people are tempted to keep it it tells me supply is both too expensive and restricted . I like mine fresh cured and to stay in weight limits which are very difficult many people argued against them I take what I need off live plants . Yes I know it effects proper harvesting but old meds ( taken late ) seem to be OK and its better not to end up in jail . Keeping plant limits and eliminating weight limits except maybe when transporting if then would go a long way to make this a more reasonable law and I am not the first person to say that . Most patients thought that reasonable enforcement and the AD would protect them to have a non interrupted supply . It isn't . Though if you don't distribute as a caregiver your chances of having a problem is reduced dramatically . But then where would allot of patients obtain quality meds the street dealers don't care . Prices have come down for patients because of the work of the compassion clubs MMMA and their members who have a huge influence on the market . Thank you !

would you make a sandwich with moldy bread and eat it? or put moldy cheese on nachos? would you eat moldy strawberries? would you put a big lump of mold in your pipe and smoke it? if you answered no to any of these the save yourself some time and trouble and trash it.

Do you eat roquefort, stilton, blue or gorgonzola cheese? What about brie or camembert? I know this is a completely different kind of mold, just making a point. Would I eat moldy cheddar? No, but I'd cut the mold off and eat what's left...which is essentially what you'd be doing in making qwiso or bho.

Glad to hear your bho turned out fine with the moldy buds Kingdiamond, have you sampled any yet? As was mentioned, if you're still nervous once you've made the qwiso or bho then eat it. If I were going to injest any mold (and I don't think you would be) I'd rather put it in my stomach than my lungs. If you're still worried, send it my way...I'll make sure it's safe ;)

That was interesting Q, but I was reading some of it, and, Ewwwwww :o I had to quit reading. I smoke cigs, got lung problems & lived in a moldy trailer. I just got done with steroids because my lungs got so bad. I should donate my lungs to science when I die, who knows what's in there. :P:blink:

if ur gonna toss it ill gladly pick it up and cook it into butter for myself..just let me know cause im actually out of butter right now and i typically eat 1-2 medibles a day..i only caregive for me and my wife and we have cooked multiple times buds that got mold on them due to pm etc

topical RSO or garbage

those would be my only choices

I agree.

I'm sure I've ingested my fair share of molded herb, but knowingly doing it is a bit harder.

The sad fact is there are no good studies on if mold on medicine will effect the end user or not, both in

burnt form and edible form. The majority of people who I would consider to give good advise, seem to say

slight powder mold isn't going to kill you but if you are using the herb as a treatment for some condition

its best to not ingest it in any way. People with weak immune systems should NEVER ingest medibles made

from molded medicine. Unfortunately most people buy their medibles or at least butters/etc.. and then you

really don't know what is in it. Also, powdery mildew/mold is very different than rotted bud. If you have

any type of rotted medicine, toss it and don't look back. This WILL cause respiratory problems if you smoke the medicine..

Whether or not you notice the effects of its damage is a different story.

It's really best to have someone whom knows what to look for to look at the herb.

Smell is the first tip off for bad buds. It should smell like its fruity/spicy aroma and fresh. It should not smell like hay (dried too fast, or not trimmed properly).

2 common problems I see with new growers - early harvest (fluffy buds) and wet meds (did not dry or cure). I can understand patients are demanding meds, but really just a few more days to dry and get at least a 48 hour cure for taste and smell? The early harvest is sometimes due to reading trichromes and skipping the calendar. I find that you best balance the trichromes and the calendar - I now harvest at 9 weeks, with some trichromes going amber.

DN

• 4 weeks later...

Smell is the first tip off for bad buds. It should smell like its fruity/spicy aroma and fresh. It should not smell like hay (dried too fast, or not trimmed properly).

2 common problems I see with new growers - early harvest (fluffy buds) and wet meds (did not dry or cure). I can understand patients are demanding meds, but really just a few more days to dry and get at least a 48 hour cure for taste and smell? The early harvest is sometimes due to reading trichromes and skipping the calendar. I find that you best balance the trichromes and the calendar - I now harvest at 9 weeks, with some trichromes going amber.

DN

5 gal of water and one cup of hydrogen peroxide..put the buds in and let them soak the mold will float to top..skim the mold off the top of the water and redry the bud..it works...

That is what makes me worry about getting meds from other people....... :unsure:

I bet if you take a 5 gallon bucket full of water and add a cup of clorox, it will kill the mold also.

I don't mean to sound like a prick but if someone is trying to create good clean medicine, they would never dream of doing such a practice. Peroxide is a great mold controller ON the plant when used as a foliage spray, but even then I don't think I would use it on the actual bud if its close to harvest. I will say though, Adding peroxide to any plants water source has been a green thumb trick for years. Google search is your friend.

Spotting mold and PM can be hard. I saw tons of it at the FM on Saturday. If there is a bud that has nice green colors and then random brown spots that look burnt, its 99% mold of some sort. Take a 40x-80x scope and look at it. The mold looks kinda like trichromes that don't have heads and will be going in random directions rather than straight up off of the plant. If it is bad it'll look like a cob web. I've heard its safe to make BHO out of it, I toss.

WLP

:thumbsd: wow....

im not saying this is the right way to get rid of mold.this is just something i saw on utube that jorge cervantes did and looked like it worked.pm plants i just cut them down and get rid of them..by the time you see it it has been in the plant for at least two weeks..you can not get rid of it..just trying to help

Archived