Teen Mj Use Up Despite War On Drugs.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Marijuana use by 8th, 10th and 12th grade students increased again in 2011, with more American teenagers now using marijuana for the fourth year in a row, according to numbers released today by the National Institute of Drug Abuse and the University of Michigan as part of the annual Monitoring the Future survey. In 2011, a slightly larger percent of high school seniors used marijuana in the last 30 days, while slightly less had used alcohol. Marijuana use continues to rise among youth despite the continued policy of arresting nearly a million people every year for marijuana violations.

“This report, once again, clearly demonstrates that our nation’s policymakers have their heads buried in the sand when it comes to addressing teen marijuana use,” said Rob Kampia, executive director of the Marijuana Policy Project. “Political leaders have for decades refused to regulate marijuana in order to keep it out of the hands of drug dealers who aren’t required to check customer ID and have no qualms about selling marijuana to young people. The continued decline in teen tobacco and alcohol use is proof that sensible regulations, coupled with honest, and science-based public education can be effective in keeping substances away from young people. It’s time we acknowledge that our current marijuana laws have utterly failed to accomplish one of their primary objectives – to keep marijuana away from young people – and do the right thing by regulating marijuana, bringing its sale under the rule of law, and working to reduce the easy access to marijuana that our irrational system gives teenagers.”

Since the survey’s inception, overwhelming numbers of American teenagers have said marijuana was easy for them to obtain. According to the 2011 numbers, the use of alcohol – which is also regulated and sold by licensed merchants required to check customer ID – continued to decline among high school seniors, as did tobacco use.

“Arresting people for marijuana simply does not stop young people from using it, and it never will,” said Kampia. “It is time for a more sensible approach.”

I think were learning the kids are being harmed by zero tolerance , tough love and harsh penalties that stay with them forever . It is a form of abuse itself just like they have now seen dare programs actually increase attention to and use of drugs .The same with the A and E Addiction shows which are advertisements for that industry . Regulation for adults will not stop that if we do not address reasonable penalties for everyone . I met a young man who was arrested for a misdomeaner , given court ordered probation and fined ( hundreds) because tobacco was in the glove compartment of the car he shared with his father when he was pulled over with two friends . The court thought about forced treatment at the parent or young adults expense with the local rehabilitation staff ( private company ) they always defer too . Our system of law has become a tool for forcing moral choices on others and profiting off those who think different . Sin taxes ? Where is our separation of Church and State .

This opens up the argument why someone drinking a coke should pay a extra tax or fee for driving up health insurance costs through obesity but the one running everyday forcing early knee transplants to be paid for by society does not . Anytime one group tries to use law to enforce their victimless beliefs on another it turns out bad . The truth is nobody should . This is where my mind wonders when I read a article like this . Besides remembering how kids didn't really take these surveys that serious since their anonymous and they cannot understand the importance . Maybe kids today do take them more serious because they are tested , searched , arrested and left with diminished futures at rates never before seen . I hope so .

Edited by Croppled1

I wonder if teenage drinking is down?

I would encourage my kids to smke rather than drink, if they were going to screw around. Better they didn't, but who actually listens to such advice? Alcohol is far more harmful and does brain damage at a vital time in a person's development, mj does not.

Edited by purklize

Its good to see older generations have some faith in what is to come from my own generation. I can tell you there will be a bunny muffin ton of innovation, not only technological but in the way people think. This nation will finally give into green; energy, medicine, appliances, food, clothing, and plenty more. Green = Good, and it will be clear that cannabis has a very exciting and promising future! The pharmaceutical and alcohol companies are going down, and with force. My generation is going to spread wide use of cannabis and the studies of cannabis. Hemp is the miracle plant and this nations next cash crop, in the next 25 years I believe it will take over the agricultural industry and many others. Why is this nation so corrupt? Seems as if everybody is paying somebody. Its a web of bunny muffin that seemingly every major industry susceptible of replacement by a fit more innovative company is involved in and it practically makes me sick. Everything is about money with people these days and it makes this nation blind to the things that will be beneficial to the future of this nation. I feel as if I could go on for days about this bunny muffin. Hah

God Bless, see you in Jackson!