Odor-How Well Do Can Filters Work?

What's the differenc between a "Phresh" and the "can" styles? I thought "Phresh" was just a brand of can filters.

Are all pure indicas really stinky? My purple people eater is tremendously stinky (trainwreck X purple urkle X purple urkle). The blueberry I have wasn't nearly as stinky... really the PPE was far stinkier than anything else in my garden, but I haven't flowered any pure indicas yet.

Great, thanks so much for the feedback guys. Hopefully these will allow me to continue to flower some good (stinky) indicas. The odor situation reached an unacceptable level this last crop. I sure hope the problem was just that my homemade filters were crap. The door to the grow room is a little warped but I think i can still get som eweatherstripping in there and try to seal it up.

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Nutrients-Flow-Heat-Exchangers/dp/B003AZ7VNG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ol_1

This is a very interesting product that might make it easier to run a sealed room. :thumbsu:

On the home made one's depending on how much carbon, size of the room, and cycle's you have run it. It could just need to be changed. I have a 10' x 20' area and it uses 25-30lbs of carbon. I got through 3 or 4 cycles before I noticed the smell. I changed it and everything is back to normal. I'm still researching how to reactivate the carbon to recycle.

I'm only on my second cycle, and at least half the carbon is fresh. It sufficed plenty for normal plants, but this one I've been growing (purple people eater - trainwreck X purple urkle X purple urkle) is just stinky beyond all belief. If I put it on the roof you could smell it for blocks, I'm sure. Not even kidding. Too bad cannabis faces such stigma because it is the most pleasant fragrance on earth.

I've heard good things about Ona gel used in 5 gal. buckets with a fan blowing on top. Haven't tried them yet, but would like to. Anyone have any experience with Ona gel?

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/do-yourself/110496-diy-odor-control-bucket.html

this is a link with a diy method on one.

Be careful w Ona smell masking... You really don't want this in your gro area because your herb will end up smelling like it, not good.

I'm only on my second cycle, and at least half the carbon is fresh. It sufficed plenty for normal plants, but this one I've been growing (purple people eater - trainwreck X purple urkle X purple urkle) is just stinky beyond all belief. If I put it on the roof you could smell it for blocks, I'm sure. Not even kidding. Too bad cannabis faces such stigma because it is the most pleasant fragrance on earth.

This is funny because I'm running Train wreck also.... I noticed a strong odor a few weeks ago and changed my carbon. I hope I'm not going to have huge issues. :o

On the home made one's depending on how much carbon, size of the room, and cycle's you have run it. It could just need to be changed. I have a 10' x 20' area and it uses 25-30lbs of carbon. I got through 3 or 4 cycles before I noticed the smell. I changed it and everything is back to normal. I'm still researching how to reactivate the carbon to recycle.

You can bake activated carbon in the oven to recharge it. Needs to be set at 300 degrees and bake at least 30 mins. Some like to rinse in water before the bake but is not required. for odor control do not use pellet carbon you want a small grain size and it must have a dull surface and be soft. You should be able to crumble it with your fingers, and it should hiss when droped in water. The hard shiny "charcoal" is junk and will not work. Baking for recharge will not remove any meatals that it has filtered out but will remove the organics.

Just curious where you found the Time and Temp? I have looked everywhere. All the sites I have seen range from 250-1500f. Not much help narrowing down the temp and I really don't want to test this in my house. If you have a link that would be awesome! TY

phat filters are also great. It takes a huge filter when you are running a single pass system. Most filters give you scrubbing cfm, not single pass. Phat filters say cut the fan rating in half for single pass filtering. Here is a great chart on what size filter to get. Though this is for phat filters it works as a guide for any carbon pellet filter, such as can filters and active air filters. Sock filters and carbon sponge filters would be different.

http://www.phatfilter.com/sizes.html

Though you get less air flow, putting the inline fan right after the filter before the lights creates positive pressure through the lights and venting system, which eliminates odor from micro leaks in your system. These small leaks are usually not too much a problem until you have a really smelly strain or are in full bloom.

Just curious where you found the Time and Temp? I have looked everywhere. All the sites I have seen range from 250-1500f. Not much help narrowing down the temp and I really don't want to test this in my house. If you have a link that would be awesome! TY

Sorry no link but that's the time and temp I've used for years to recharge aquarium carbon, and have used same to recharge odor filtering carbon a couple of times back in my old days.

I have always heard to keep your room positivly charged with air pressure, because when you open ur door it pushes air out and doesnt suck in air which could have unwanted contaminence. Now this being said wouldnt it push the smell threw any gaps in structure no matter what type of air scrubber you use? If so what is best solution for Doors and vents and gaps in walls that might be light tight but not air tight?

Archived