The Himalayas: Cannabis Valley

http://www.france24.com/en/20111216-reporters-himalayas-cannabis-valley-nepal-manali-india-nepal-drug-trafficking-police-raids

watch the video. I can't seem to be able to post it here

The Himalayas: cannabis valley

To take advantage of all the features on FRANCE24.COM, please click here to download the latest version of Flash Player.

Hidden in the Himalayas, Parvati valley produces some of the purest hashish in the world. But it is now being targeted by the authorities. In this land where cannabis is king, two France 24 journalists accompanied the police on their raids against the drug traffickers and growers in the Manali region of northern India. This is their exclusive report.

By Constantin SIMON / Vikram Singh

It is the world’s most widely produced and consumed illegal substance. In its various forms, cannabis is used by more than 200 million people in almost every country on the planet. For decades, authorities in cultivator countries such as Morocco, Mexico and India have struggled to keep its production and export in check. They’ve often been thwarted by the inaccessibility of production centres - as is the case in the Indian Himalayas, where high-altitude hillsides have long been used by traffickers to produce some of the world’s most potent, and purest, cannabis resin or hashish.

For the first time, however, Indian police have decided to launch an ambitious operation that will take them right to the doorsteps of the traffickers, to targets once considered too far and too risky. Two France 24 journalists accompanied them on the journey, and stayed on to see how the illicit drug trade has transformed a once isolated Himalayan valley.

Fascinating video! Thanks for posting this.

The indian cop rolling across the plants like a cat in a field of catnip had me LOL! Sure he was only doing his official "duty" in such a creative way. I'll bet he ended up covered from head to toe in resin. Later in the video it's the other cop who was rubbing buds with his hands that got busted. Whatever happened to the rolling cop? Hilarious! So sad to see the prohibitionists muscling in on such a beautiful part of the planet though :-(

As the song goes, "Gonna move to the country and and paint my mail box Blue"! The popo didn,t have access but the connoisseur...meet you at the hot tub. Criminal first..cultural secondly...cass system. Popo could not resist! Heard rumors of hash being harvested by people running thru the field naked. Gonna open a laundry ..haha Frinken BEAUTIFULL PEOPLE ! Place is at the door of heaven OOOooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fascinating video! Thanks for posting this.

The indian cop rolling across the plants like a cat in a field of catnip had me LOL! Sure he was only doing his official "duty" in such a creative way. I'll bet he ended up covered from head to toe in resin. Later in the video it's the other cop who was rubbing buds with his hands that got busted. Whatever happened to the rolling cop? Hilarious! So sad to see the prohibitionists muscling in on such a beautiful part of the planet though :-(

Notice the hesatation...dang the farmer gonna be upset. Tell them we were making Hash. Recongize the blind ambition by the youngster buckin to impress his superiors.

AHHHH!! Home, sweet home!

They (Indian LEO) as in many other places, make far too much money on the 'side' to seriously put an end to the 'trade'.

It's only in 'western' countries like our's that have billions of dollars invested in jails and riot helmets that you find thousands of people thrown into jail for the use of cannabis.

Most other countries, including India, only enforce the anti-cannabis laws to receive the money our country pays them to do so.

Oh well... ever onward.

In the video it was stated that the cannabis is also used as food (the seeds) by the locals. When the Indian government destroys the fields, they are depriving the mountain people of what I would assume is an important food source there. Does the Indian government then offer an alternative food for them? If not, that should be considered a crime against humanity. Think of the innocent hungry CHILDREN!

Archived