Can My Husband Own Guns If I Have A Medical Marijuana Card?

Ok, I feel really dumb here but, I am completely new to all of this and I want to make sure I will be following the law. As of right now I have not applied for my card because my husband has a muzzle loader and a .22 rifle. Two reasons we have these. 1) My husband uses these to help put food on our table and 2) I would feel awful asking him to give up his guns. Sooooo, does the law state that the individual posessing the card can not own a gun or, is it that there can't be a gun on the premises?

Thanks in advance!

That was something we are considering. Only problem is, the only family we have is EXTREMELY opposed to guns of any kind and as sad as it is, we don't really have any friends. Funny how you may have a number of "good friends" until you get sick. So, at this point, I'm going to try to figure out how to convince family to help us out. Ugh! It's hard enough being sick, why don't they (govt.) get that?

Thank you again :).

Yes, of course he can lawfully own guns, even if he is a felon, so long as the weapons are replicas of weapons made before 1859. (Cartridge versions included, including the power hitting .44) These even felons can own (except in Illinois, where by state law they are speifically proscribed). Cabellas welcomes your purchases, and this time of year has most of the models on sale at the lowest prices of the year.

fire·arm (frärm)n.A weapon, especially a pistol or rifle, capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.

Ok, but black powder weapons are by definition a firearm however, you can have them if you have your card. I guess my question is, where is the line drawn? If the concern is someone in an altered state being a danger to himself or others then handing over a container of highly combustable powder makes no sense.

Btw, I'm NOT trying to start an argument. I'm just pointing out that it's interesting and kinda confusing.

Federal law does not classify muzzle loaders or antiques or replicas firearms period. They have no jurisdiction over them. Although make sure you are careful because a sabot .44 used in a 50 cal muzzle loader is a modern pistol bullet, therefore reactivating federal law. There are many ins and outs but if you watch what you do they cant touch you. Muzzle loaders with 209 primers would also activate federal law as they are used in modern shotguns. The same 44 sabot cast in your own home is legal because it did not travel in interstate commerce. Good luck, pm me if you have questions about resources.

The CSA and Firearm rules are Federal. It is still up to local jurisdictions if they want to apply a federal charge. Not all growers who had LEO issues had their guns taken away.

The recent ATF only told gun shop owners not to sell to anyone that has a MMMP card or admits they use marijuana. While they did say that MMMP users could not possess firearms, it did not say anything about a family member using, and another family member possessing firearms. It is a crime to possess a firearm and open alcohol - but it is not a crime to possess a firearm, while someone else is drinking alcohol in your presence - so IMO, the same could apply for medical use of marijuana - the gun owner himself is not using or under the influence of MM.

If you do not break any laws to cause the police to come after you, and be so vindictive as to add federal charges to you - you should be ok - like half the other patients and CGs in this great hunting state of michigan.

DN

lastly - someone find the article - a Oregon SCHOOL BUS driver -who was a MM patient card holder - was allowed by a Judge to renew her CCW.\

Yes, the CCW thing was one thing, but the SCHOOL BUS driver thing was pretty cool too!

DN

Actually it was the Oregon Supreme Court that ruled that having a MM card didn't halt your right to own or use a gun and ammo. Still looking for the link

The CSA and Firearm rules are Federal. It is still up to local jurisdictions if they want to apply a federal charge. Not all growers who had LEO issues had their guns taken away.

The recent ATF only told gun shop owners not to sell to anyone that has a MMMP card or admits they use marijuana. While they did say that MMMP users could not possess firearms, it did not say anything about a family member using, and another family member possessing firearms. It is a crime to possess a firearm and open alcohol - but it is not a crime to possess a firearm, while someone else is drinking alcohol in your presence - so IMO, the same could apply for medical use of marijuana - the gun owner himself is not using or under the influence of MM.

If you do not break any laws to cause the police to come after you, and be so vindictive as to add federal charges to you - you should be ok - like half the other patients and CGs in this great hunting state of michigan.

DN

Kinda what I was thinking which is why I wanted to see what everyone else's thoughts were on it. Like everything else, subject to interpretation I guess. We are pretty low key, law abiding people. Honestly, the more I read the less concerned I am. As soon as X-mass is over with and I have a couple of bucks, I'm going to apply for my card. I'm tired of hurting.

Thank you for your input :).

That was something we are considering. Only problem is, the only family we have is EXTREMELY opposed to guns of any kind and as sad as it is, we don't really have any friends. Funny how you may have a number of "good friends" until you get sick. So, at this point, I'm going to try to figure out how to convince family to help us out. Ugh! It's hard enough being sick, why don't they (govt.) get that?

Thank you again :).

Ur problem is not guns, it's the phrase 'we don't have any friends.' Be a friend to enuf folks + you will have a friend. Go out of your way for 12 people and 1 will reciprocate. Don't have any friends? Help 12 folks needier than you and one will turn out to help you more than you helped them. At this time of the year it is truer than ever; listen, treat as you want to be treated, give expecting nothing in return and you will receive, not flimsy prettily wrapped trinkets but affirmation, respect and advocacy. Peace.

short answer Yes.

You being a Pt has no bearing on His OR Your right to bear arms. definatly not his, and impo, yours neither.

I will not give up my right to bear arms. Am pt/CG and an old disabled lady to boot, if I go down maybe I can be a test case for somebody. Our local, state and Fed govt couldnt afford to keep me in jail if they were responsible for my medical care. and if Leo shoots me, I'm old and sick enough not to care.

Ur problem is not guns, it's the phrase 'we don't have any friends.' Be a friend to enuf folks + you will have a friend. Go out of your way for 12 people and 1 will reciprocate. Don't have any friends? Help 12 folks needier than you and one will turn out to help you more than you helped them. At this time of the year it is truer than ever; listen, treat as you want to be treated, give expecting nothing in return and you will receive, not flimsy prettily wrapped trinkets but affirmation, respect and advocacy. Peace.

I didnt say we dont have any friends, I said that we dont really have any friends. There is a difference. The friends (and I use the term loosely) we have are not necessarily people I would trust. Gossip is a #1 pass time up here. To the point where even people who don't intend to gossip will let things slip, then, like the game of telephone, things get distorted. All I need is for that to happen and have whatever it was twisted into land in a leo's lap. As far as "be a friend to folks". If you had any idea! Lol! We bend over backwards for people on an almost daily basis and they don't reciprocate. We don't help others and do the things we do because we expect the reciprocation, we do it because it's the right thing to do. My point is, in theory, your outline of how to make friends is the way the world should be. However, and I do speak from experience, that is not necessarily the way it works. If I am fortunate enough to find a person with the same interests as me (hiking, fishing, camping, etc...), then things will go great, until I flare up and I can't go do those things. Healthy people don't want to be held back by sick people.

Honestly, I have to say that I am kinda offended. Now if I were someone who never left the house and was whining about not having any friends, then yes your advice would be warranted. However, seeing as though you really don't know anything about me, it's a little much that you are telling me how to make friends. For the record, I do have a couple of extremely good friends that I grew up with down state. Now, seeing as though we were talking about putting the guns somewhere and since my husband does use them, it really doesnt make sense to keep them almost 2 hours away. We moved up here 8 years ago and believe me, I wouldnt trade it for the world, but this is a very different type of area. I dont know if it's just the town we live in or it's an up north thing, but good luck finding a true genuine trustworthy friend.

Archived