Inhaled Cannabis Beneficial For Fibromyalgia Patients, Study Says

Inhaled Cannabis Beneficial For Fibromyalgia Patients, Study Says

http://www.canadiancoop.com/index.php/news/459-inhaled-cannabis-beneficial-for-fibromyalgia-patients-study-says

Barcelona, Spain: The use of cannabis is associated with beneficial effects on various symptoms of fibromyalgia, including the relief of pain and muscle stiffness, according to the results of an observational case-control study published online in the journal PLoS (Public Library of Science) ONE. Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain syndrome associated with musculoskeletal pain and fatigue. Symptoms of fibromyalgia are poorly controlled by conventional medications.

Investigators at the Institut de Recerca Hospital del Mar in Barcelona, Spain, assessed the associated benefits of cannabis in patients with fibromyalgia (FM) compared with FM patients who did not use the substance. Twenty-eight users and non-users participated in the study.

Authors reported: "Patients used cannabis not only to alleviate pain but for almost all symptoms associated to FM, and no one reported worsening of symptoms following cannabis use. ... Significant relief of pain, stiffness, relaxation, somnolence, and perception of well-being, evaluated by VAS (visual analogue scales) before and two hours after cannabis self-administration was observed."

Cannabis users in the study also reported higher overall mental health summary scores than did non-users.

Investigators concluded: "The present results together with previous evidence seem to confirm the beneficial effects of cannabinoids on FM symptoms. Further studies regarding efficacy of cannabinoids in FM as well as cannabinoid and stress response system involvement in their pathophysiology are warranted."

I for one can support this article. If not for MM I wouldn't be able to function due to severe fibro! I was taking massive amounts of drugs under the recommended verbal statement of its an off table use to control fibro. I am off all of them now....I live for the day when I don't have to feel like I'm in hiding because of my personal choice to use a non addictive natural medication.

Good to hear!! I too have fibro. (along with rheumatoid arthritis) and my ultimate goal is to get off of my meds. I hate the side effects and I feel like a junkie having to call my rheumatologist once a month for vicodin refills.

I just tried mmj (a nobake cookie) two days ago for the first time and it worked every bit as well for pain as a 750mg vicodin. Unfortunately I took my last dose of mmj last night :(. I don't have a card yet, so I am going to have to wait until after X-Mass when we go down state to get more :(. Man, I can't wait to get my card!! It was pretty cool. For the first time in 10 years I went almost 48 hours without vicodin! Normally I take 4/750mg vicodin a day but, with the cookies I didnt even miss it.

Good to hear!! I too have fibro. (along with rheumatoid arthritis) and my ultimate goal is to get off of my meds. I hate the side effects and I feel like a junkie having to call my rheumatologist once a month for vicodin refills.

I just tried mmj (a nobake cookie) two days ago for the first time and it worked every bit as well for pain as a 750mg vicodin. Unfortunately I took my last dose of mmj last night :(. I don't have a card yet, so I am going to have to wait until after X-Mass when we go down state to get more :(. Man, I can't wait to get my card!! It was pretty cool. For the first time in 10 years I went almost 48 hours without vicodin! Normally I take 4/750mg vicodin a day but, with the cookies I didnt even miss it.

Awesome! :thumbsu:

• 3 months later...

Anyone every figure out why FM seemingly is a issue mostly effecting women? I hear of men with FM but it seems to be way over 75% of women that have the genetic disposition to get it. Just wondering if any progress has been made.

I found this http://www.aarda.org/women_and_autoimmunity.php#.T5Lkw1bqI2k.facebook

(if i understand correctly) It says in this article that women's immune systems are enhanced compared to men, so they're more susceptible to autoimmune diseases. Also has ratios of how many more women than men have some of the autoimmune diseases.