Where To Find Seeds

LongHairBri

There is a place on Miller Rd. in Flint that carries all TGA's selection(Galactic Gardens in Hydrokare hydro store).  $50/5 pack mostly.  I got a free 5 pack of space candy for buying a 10 pack of pennywise.

Just collected some Plushberry Pollen for storage since they discontinued that and Ace of Spades.  Have one pack of Ace of Spades left to find a female. Last 5 pack were all males and 4 of them pollinated a plushberry of mine. If any finds packs of plushberry still around, let me know. :)

There is a place on Miller Rd. in Flint that carries all TGA's selection(Galactic Gardens in Hydrokare hydro store).  $50/5 pack mostly.  I got a free 5 pack of space candy for buying a 10 pack of pennywise.

Just collected some Plushberry Pollen for storage since they discontinued that and Ace of Spades.  Have one pack of Ace of Spades left to find a female. Last 5 pack were all males and 4 of them pollinated a plushberry of mine. If any finds packs of plushberry still around, let me know. :)

This is what end-users and novices don't understand about the growing process.

It sounds like you're opening baseball packs trying to find a Mickey Mantle rookie card. The "bubble gum" is much better but it sure takes a lot longer to know if you found what you were looking for.

How many weeks in to a grow will you be able to positively ID the gender? I know I can google it (and I have before) but I'd like firsthand from knowledgeable people who obviously do it often.

Depends.  Some at 3 weeks and some at 5-6 on the later end.  If you keep them in a smaller container they show earlier.  I work mainly with Indicas and hybrids though.  The pure sativas may take longer.

My first bag of seeds was a grab bag from someone who brought back seeds from Amsterdam and gave to local breeders. He got seeds and flowers back and took all the random seeds from the flowers and threw them into a baggie and gave me over 1000 seeds that were all random pure strains and crosses.  I always labeled my seeds by taste and smell and never knew lineage or even possible lineage, just that a bunch were cup winners before 92?.

I lost them all and am now looking for what I had back in the day. By taste and smell, Black Cherry Soda is definitely one of them.  TGA's Plushberry is Space Queen X Black Cherry Soda and the Ace of Spades is Jack the Ripper X Black Cherry Soda.

TGA just announced that they discontinued them because he lost the Black Cherry Soda so I'm trying to capture what I can from the two.  I got 2 of the last packs of Ace of Spades that I could find and only had one pack of plushberry.

I cracked the last 3 Plushberries(cracked the first 2 before I knew it was being discontinued and got a male and female and quickly ditched the male so I could take cuttings and stay within plant count, regretting that now) and got a male and 2 females.  The one female threw 2 male flowers.  I'm watching it like a hawk but still let it get pollinated since I don't know if I'll want to use them depending on how spectacular the genetics are.  I have only had 3 females and a male to work with on plushberry and 5 males on the first pack of Ace of Spades. 

:)  Baseball cards with a whole different level. :)

I use new seeds often, and typically regular ones, though I don't mind feminized(from a reputable breeder) one bit. Its a numbers game, and I grow for more than myself so there is never a rush or wait for harvest. I plant them all, veg them normally a few weeks and put them in the flower room. I watch the regs closely and they show sex within one week. The fems are cloned, and the smelliest boy is chopped to a single leaf, his pollen packs'll  be visible in a week or so if not.

I veg clones quick and lable/record each experience, from grow to smoke. I deduce the best, discontinue the rest, and pollinate  when convenient for a sack of seeds to work with, culture the cultivar, dry, store the seeds for later play. I clone from a clone until I notice detrimental symptoms in a line, slowly discontinue, until I refresh with a brand new culture, then the fun begins. sometimes I change up the order above, and culture before breeding, but not always. Sometimes an infection is just what the breeder needed to influence positively and I don't wish to cleanse that, necessarily, from the start.    seeds rule!

Thanks everyone, still digesting.

about a month to see preflowers. Some take longer and some won't show until they flip the internal switch (about a week into flower). Most recently my alien blues males let themselves be known in about three and a half weeks. Two females showed tiny pistils at four weeks and one didnt show until over a week on the 12/12.

Indica dominate strains show faster for sure, but much like anything else...it depends!

To that point, do you isolate until you know? I won't ask too many questions because I should research instead of making you guys do my work. I'm curious though (all of) your process when you identify a female?

I have a 5x5 tent set up outside my room with a 4 inch filter leading into the main room, not veg or flower. There is a carbon filter in teh tent with coconut oil sprayed on the prefilter to catch pollen.  In the main room it goes into a carbon filter housing wrapped in filter material sprayed in coconut oil to catch any dust or pollen.  Kind of a hepa filter intake. That's where the males and quarantine plants go.  

Mine all preflower in veg and I take cuttings off of the females then.  After they go thru flower and don't hermie and get judged, I'll take another cutting and start running it thru.  Or destroy it if it doesn't make the cut.

that's good to know, thanks. do they carry any of the out of stock items too?

As soon as I got my pink pheno I knew she was special. I cultured it and made some seed records.

I lost my cultured records of ace of spades but not before I open pollinated the best of 3 packs

with the best pink pheno plushberry. I recently grew some out, all females, ahhh, and they are exactly as you would expect.

They get their own stock but sell out so I don't think they'd have anything rare or discontinued.  They do get the new stuff quick though.

I got one Ace of Spades male that threw pink flowers and that got crossed to the pink plushberry pheno.  the plushberry male wasn't pink unfortunately.  I'll be keeping pollen from any more pink males this time.  I have a good number of the pink ace of spades/pink plushberry cross.  those will probably be the first to go down.  The pink male had much more sparse flowers but great color.  the plushberry male i just milked is stinky!

Let me know if you want any ace of spades pollen when I crack em.  or an ace of spades cut if i get a female.

Kewl, so you got the opposite of me.  Pink male plush to pink female ace?  Kewl.  Should trade some seeds for a line.

Edited by Norby

The only suspended cultures I'm familiar with are Spore banks. (even then, those are a little different) Part of me wonders, with time and process, if the plant culture system will pop up much like the spore trading business has. Ended up picking up the plants from test tubes book, once it gets here I reckon I'll be on my way in that general direction myself lol Seems to me like cultures could be a thing. Time will tell.

Edited by AbominableDro-Man

tissue cultures are legally shipped, and a wonderful way to preserve genetics forever.  I don't know anyone web brokering them currently, but would like to hear from someone who could.

I don't understand how it could be legal to ship MJ cultures. Federal law says "all parts" of the plant are illegal. So even a very tiny part would be illegal. Even undifferentiated cells would be illegal.

I can see why it might be fairly safe to ship undifferentiated material because it would be tough to prosecute someone. The culture would have to be grown in order to prove it was MJ. I just can't understand how it would be legal. Thus is what stops me from diving into the world if MJ tissue culture.

I've never heard of someone avoiding tissue culture altogether, because they were unsure of the shipping laws. Unless of course shipping and selling them was the original tissue culturing motivator.   The craft is used to preserve genetics, provide unlimited "counts" of stand by genetics, and super charge the hydroponic growing techniques to the top of their game. Many people attempt to culture for years without success, some can master sterile technique quickly.

I propose the  mere success at culturing, dividing, chuting, and rooting a cannabis plant, then bringing it to fruition would be the first step to see if the craft is viable in a persons cannabis garden, or in their home at all.  I paid dearly to learn of the shipping issues involved, and law became one of the insignificant ones. I wont debate the laws but this has been sorted out some time ago .

"Before mitosis begins, cells are in the interphase stage, which is the rest period between mitotic divisions. At this time, the chromosomes are not identifiable but are an undifferentiated loose mass of stretched out DNA molecules within the nucleus."

I've enjoyed success with a few endeavors by recognizing difficult processes that provide a much better outcome than conventional efforts and then getting very skilled with the matter. This is my primary motivation for cannabis tissue culture. Being able to ship cannabis tissue cultures seems to be a cornerstone of tissue culture becoming a major facet of the MJ/MMJ industry as a whole. Also, I find it very satisfying to take something to "geek level."

I don't want to debate the legality of shipping either. I just want to understand it. This is also why I read the MMMA countless times and sought advice of three attorneys early in the game. All three gave sound advice, most notably, that Sec. 4 won't protect p2p transfers.

I'm just having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea that cannabis cultures are not "marijuana" as defined in federal and many/most state laws and therefore legal to send/receive through the mail. A least at the surface, it is easy to see why a person would read a law that defines MJ as "any part" of the plant and believe that it would be illegal to mail cannabis tissue cultures. Seems that "any part" would include the tiny part you cut off and culture, whether it can be proven to be MJ or not. And looking at michigan law, we see:

"marihuana" includes "all parts of the plant Cannabis sativa L., growing or not; the seeds thereof; the resin extracted from any part of the plant; and every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the plant or its seeds or resin"

Another issue becomes whether or not each culture would be considered a "plant," much in the same way that we have no MMJ case law that establishes whether an unroofed cutting is a "plant." I believe that the michigan PCH defines a "plant" to include a cutting from a plant. But there is no definition in the MMMA for "plant," so it still isn't clear if a cutting is a plant or not. It seems that tissue cultures and unroofed cuttings are similar - pieces (cuttings) of the plant intended to become plants.

Of course, there is another problem with the multitudes of different state and international laws and the probability that cultures would be legal in some areas and illegal in others.

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue with you. Tissue culture fascinates me, and I'm trying to learn more. Controlling nature in such a way is very intriguing. Years ago I grew MJ indoors a few times, just using dirt and bag seeds. I even quit using MJ for a year or two and had no friends or connections who used MJ. Yet, I still grew a few harvests for the heck of it, because it was fun to try to figure it out. The harvests were composted, but rooted cutting were kept just to keep enjoying the activity. This was back when we didn't have any indoor garden stores around, you feared for your life if you typed " how to grow MJ indoors" into the alta-vista search engine, and you wouldn't go to the library or bookstore and ask for any book related to MJ because you were sure that LEOs were offering rewards if someone reported you. Now that I think about it, the first time I dared do an internet search on growing MJ indoors was in 1996, right after prop 19? Passed in CA. A guy in Cali started a website (might call it a blog today?) called James' grow at home journal. He chronicled an entire indoor closest grow. (Sadly, years later I tried to find the website and found a link that lead to a page that said something about the page being down due to intervention by the DOJ.)

Other interests I have in plant tissue culture: I own ten acres of what was originally a 160-acre farm started in about 1830. The original farmhouse is long-gone but there are a few homes nearby (mine included) that were built 100 years ago or so for children/grandchildren of the original land-owner. Much of the area has become overgrown, but there are still some old fruit trees eeking about a living in what is now a wooded area. From what I can gather from aerial photos back to the 1930s and also talking to the old timers, these trees are 100+ years old. They don't produce fruit anymore, but it would be fun to try to resurrect them through tissue culture and get viable fruit trees and be able to taste fruits that might be different from any variety available today.

just do it already, you'll have a blast !

If those fruit trees are growing a clone from a tip or root stock would suffice, given proper amendments/climate, and they would be producing in no time at all. I'm not sure culturing them would help "change" them back into fruit producers.

keep in mind there is no plant bits in a cultured tissue vessel soon after the dna is undifferentiated. The resulting slime is not cannabis any longer. It contains no trace of any of its compounds. By weight the mass could contain 99.99% water/agar/sugar/salt.

It could be as large as a golfball in a babyfood jar or a basketball in a 10 gallon fish aquarium. During any shipping stage the DNA would be visible as a small "sponge" looking mass within some gel packed inside of a test tube. When tested, or observed uder a 1600x microscope it shows zero signs of being related to cannabis, or even plant material. I would first guess snot. Nobody I know would ship a leaf particle or similar ever. That said the ship label would never say "Cultured Cannabis Tissue" honestly. In transit the material is the size o a pin head, barely visible, and smears in your fingertips. This bit of smear is excised from a larger donor mom usually maintained at the size of a marble. 1200 per month can be xcised for thought. The original "plant piece" wI've used is typically a small snip of a calyx, or more often a centimeter of root segment. Those snips are bleached till white, bubbled in a solution of iso alcohol, and bleached again, then cultured. They smear, divide, mass up into a blob, and get larger daily. A snip of that blob is not cannabis, cant ever become cannabis without a very strict set of controlled circumstances, a precise knowledge of its contents, and a very finely tuned dosing, like some I use are a liter, made with a five gallon filled water bucket, with one drop of a hormone. I add one drop of that mixed bucket water, to a one litre water batch of RTU.

Its a fascinating expensive experience but a priceless one too. If you have what it takes to commit to it I know you wouldn't regret it. If it helps at all, when I ceased using a hood, I no longer suffer more than a 20% contamination.