Golden Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

I found this recipe in High Times' "Medical Marijuana" magazine Fall 2011. This cake is by far, the best medible I've eaten, ever. And I made it! My cooking consists only of cooking at a campsite, my wife usually covers the kitchen duties. But this Christmas I wanted to make this cake (that is actually the cover art for that issue of the magazine) this cake is really easy to make and a real treat, the one I made also packs a punch! Here is the recipe-

Ingredients:

7 canned pineapple slices, drained

1 1/4 cups (12 tablespoons) cannabutter, at room temperature

2 cups granulated sugar

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar

2 cups cake flour

1 1/8 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon of salt

3/4 cup of milk

1 1/2 tablespoons dark rum

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 eggs

7 buds for garnish

Directions:

Position a rack in the lower third of your oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch round pie pan.

Place the pineapple slices flat in the bottom of pan so they touch but don't overlap.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 6 tablespoons cannabutter with 1/2 cup each of granulated sugar and light brown sugar. As butter melts, stir to blend ingredients, then spread over pineapple slices. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together milk, rum, and vanilla extract. Set aside. With an electric mixer, in a large bowl, beat 6 tablespoons of cannabutter for 1 to 2 minutes until smooth and creamy. Slowly add 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar and continue beating at medium speed until light and fluffy (approximately 5 minutes). Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Reduce mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture until everything's well incorporated and smooth.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean (approximately 50 to 55 minutes). Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes.

Tap the pan gently to loosen the cake, run a knife around the edge to loosen, then invert the pan onto a cake plate so pineapples are on top. Place one bud in the center of each pineapple slice. Let cake cool 45 minutes before eating. Enjoy!

So there is the recipe word for word from the magazine. Here is what I learned about this recipe (and baking in general).

"Cake Flour" as written, is really just all-purpose flour.

When melting the cannabutter and sugars in the small saucepan, don't use a small spoon to stir it with as melted sugar is EXTREAMLY HOT when splashed onto your fingers.

Don't skimp on the greasing of the pan, I didn't make this mistake but I could see what would happen if I had, Remember the first thing besides pineapple slices to go into the pan is melted sugar, that is lava hot so when poured into the pan it will sizzle like frying bacon, don't be alarmed.

I didn't have any rum (as nobody drinks in my house) so I just omitted it. The cake turned out great.

And obviously LABEL AND SEPARATE YOUR MEDICATED FOODS FROM YOUR REGULAR RATIONS!

Archived