Mmj And Alzheimer's

Someone in my family has Alzheimer's and it has apparently gotten so bad that he's supposed to not live much longer... I have heard that mmj can help with it. Does anyone have any experiences or information on this? Can it reverse the damage it's done, restore lucidity, keep him alive...? Thanks for any advice... :thumbsu:

I'm sorry about your relative. I don't have any firsthand knowleddge of the effects of cannabis on Alzheimers, so I googled and here's a couple of the results...

one study that says it helps:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,218042,00.html

And another one saying it doesn't help:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100208091926.htm

In my opinion, I'd try it and see how he reacted to a little medible or a little RSO. I have known some Alzheimers patients that were agitated, and if he's like that, cannabis might help calm him down but I don't know, all this is just my opinion.

I currently care for my father.

Aricept is the most common drug to slow it down

From what his doctor told me there is no reversing kinda like diabetes.

Bad protien is the cause and there might be some hope eventually

but when the brain cells die there is no replacing them, has he had a brain ct?

I do believe that there can be major mood improvement with oral tincture but

am cautious about thc I like cbd. The mood excitement from the thc could be iffy.

Stimulation helps greatly going to stores,dinner. Do not let them live alone!!!!!!

It almost killed my dad before anyone knew. Most of all do not consume yourself

to the point of frustration it is harder on the care taker than the patient.You cannot do it all alone.

You are also going to need power of atty now or soon.

Every area has support groups and respite help. Most local nursing homes will help with care

for short periods.

I am at a year of care now it is pure hell to go through.

If you ever need to talk about it pm me.

If its that advanced hospice is the place to start after talking to doctors.

The national Alzheimers Assoc supports use.

Sorry to hear Purklize but it will not reverse Alzheimer's. I've been caring for my Mom for just over six years since onset of her Alzheimer's and she is currently in early Stage 7. 7 Stages of Alzheimer's

I have been medicating Mom with medibles (2-3 x day) since June and have seen a great improvement. Since I am at work I'll have to bullet point her improvements:

- Increase in verbal communication & asks questions about relevant topics

- A steep decrease in emotional outbursts ( 4-5 a day down to 1-2 a week)

- Increase in mobility (Haven't had to use her wheelchair (for 15 + mins walks) since the end of summer)

- More willing to interact with society (less paranoia and fear); She even accompanied me to the Farmer's market a few weeks ago and had a blast.

- Increase in appetite and thirst; She will even head to the kitchen and open every cabinet to find bottled water and pudding snack packs then hide them in her room lol (I removed them throughout the day)

@ Man of Steel - I feel ya.. It is pure hell sometimes and an occasional emotional breakdown is needed especially when everything seems to go wrong that day or week. Then I pick myself up and get back to the endless cleaning & laundry. The one person I could always depend on, regardless of the situation, was my Mom and now she must depend on me to make all of her decisions. I'm proud and honored to be able to return the favor.

Thanks so much for the feedback...

I actually don't know much about his situation. I haven't seen this person since I was very young, and he lives too far from me for me to be able to visit often. Unfortunately I think he lives alone...!!! But I sure hope not.

I guess the consensus is that mmj only treats the symptoms and doesn't slow, stop, or reverse the progression of the disease? darn... :(

I took care of my father for 5 years before he passed at 92 years of age.

As a Chrysler Engineer, he had great pride in mantaining an active mind that eventually showed up in evening aggitations.(Sundown Syndrome). I discovered the use of Aricept along with Namenda, reduced his stress in the evenings. I purchased inexpensive Security Alarms that are placed at each door (off/on switches) to prevent "wondering" during the day or night. I learned never to argue, easily change the subject.

If I wanted to take a break, I'd pop-in one of his favorite Movies or Family Videos which always kept his attention. I learned this after him telling me "One good thing about Alzheimers is that every movie is new to him since he never remembers the ending!" I listened and it worked for both of us.

I believe if Medical Marijuana was available, he would have used it as a natural alternative to taking prescribed drugs, which he hated because of their dangerous side effects.

No matter what, when all is said and done, you will be left with one of the most rewarding feelings and great memories, if you work hard to balance and take care of yourself, too!

My greatest support was calling ALZ Association's 24/7 Support Hotline. - especially when I was already pulling my hair out. :>))

God Bless you and I hope one thing I mentioned will help others.

I currently care for my father.

Aricept is the most common drug to slow it down

From what his doctor told me there is no reversing kinda like diabetes.

Bad protien is the cause and there might be some hope eventually

but when the brain cells die there is no replacing them, has he had a brain ct?

I do believe that there can be major mood improvement with oral tincture but

am cautious about thc I like cbd. The mood excitement from the thc could be iffy.

Stimulation helps greatly going to stores,dinner. Do not let them live alone!!!!!!

It almost killed my dad before anyone knew. Most of all do not consume yourself

to the point of frustration it is harder on the care taker than the patient.You cannot do it all alone.

You are also going to need power of atty now or soon.

Every area has support groups and respite help. Most local nursing homes will help with care

for short periods.

I am at a year of care now it is pure hell to go through.

If you ever need to talk about it pm me.

If its that advanced hospice is the place to start after talking to doctors.

The national Alzheimers Assoc supports use.

Archived