Jump to content

Pest Strips?


nexplosion
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 4 weeks later...

The warning label on the pest strips are pretty scary. They were originally sold by Shell Oil company and my guess would be they realized the toxicity of the strips could create too much of a liability for a company their size so they sold them to a smaller company (Hot Shot). Only my guess after reading the warnings on the label.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I use them i also get full blood cultures every 90 days have so since 01 no signs of toxins in my bloodstream from any pesticide unless you lick the pest strips like a sucker they are safe imo. :mellow:

 

 

 

Dude, you made me laugh myself right out of my chair! I use them too, have for two years, no issues with pest's since. But then again, I don't lick them either. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure about household pets. And you can't run your fan or you're just sucking the vapor out and it never reaches clinical air levels to be effective IMHO. I ran a string of Christmas lights on same timer as to maintain the schedule without requiring the ventilation. I bought plastic and duck taped it to the wall all the way around to try and seal off the closet (in my bedroom). I have cats and sleep 10 FT from the closet so I wasn't taking any chances. I left them alone for 3 days then sealed up the strip in a ziplock.

 

It knocked the mites down, but did not kill them all. You really need to clean the environment surfaces, lights fans and hit them with something else and rotate that with a third thing and oh God bless you. I finally shut the whole darn thing down for 6 months after spraying bleach water every where and wiped everything with disinfectant wipes. Then you wait and pray.

 

There are some chemical sprays that will work systemic inside the plants if you want. Then it doesn't matter if the mites are in the environment as they will die the second they try to feed.

I still clean everything with wipes all the time. One time I sprayed the plants just prior to putting them into flower, one time, no mites 9 weeks later at harvest. I would never spray flowering plants but once before they switch over works great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You might want to read the MSDS on this stuff. http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=19020075

 

My favorite excerpt: "Do not use in hospitals or clinic rooms, such as patient rooms, wards, nurseries, operating or emergency areas. Do not use in any rooms or closets of rooms where infants, children, sick or aged are or will be present for an extended period of confinement. Do not use in kitchens (except cupboards), restaurants or areas where food is prepared or served."

 

Funny, it also has been shown to potentially cause cancer.

 

"Carcinogenicity: From MSDS

Ingredients listed as carcinogens or potential carcinogens by NTP, OSHA or IARC: DDVP (2B). "

 

Funny thing is, its really a nerve gas. I think I have an atropine pen lying around in my CBRNE kit...might need it one day.

 

Also this is an excellent link on DDVP http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=595&tid=111

 

There are two blood tests available to check for enzyme reaction, but the real test is a urine test. Time to pee in a cup!

Edited by CaffeineForAll
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is what the FAO has to say about dichlorvos, the active ingredient in Hot Shots:

 

Because of its low vapour pressure dichlorvos is unable to penetrate into materials. Therefore, it is of no value as a commodity fumigant.

 

Used as a fumigant, dichlorvos has found effective use at very low concentrations against houseflies, mosquitoes and mushroom flies. At higher concentrations it is effective against cockroaches and a wide range of storedproduct insects. It has been used successfully against moths and the cigarette beetle in tobacco warehouses. Recommendations for free space use are summarized in Schedule Q. Its application as A glasshouse fumigant is discussed in Chapter 12.

 

An important characteristic of dichlorvos is the fact that it hydrolyses slowly in the presence of water, and this process is accelerated in the presence of alkali and reduced in the presence of acid. An end product of hydrolysis may be dichloroacetic acid. Consequently, formulations and spaces treated with the insecticide may exhibit a vinegar-like odour if hydrolysis has occurred to any extent.

 

TOXICITY

 

The toxicity of dichlorvos to mammals is moderately high by ingestion, inhalation and absorption through the skin. It is a direct inhibitor of the enzyme cholinesterase but it is detoxified relatively quickly (Hayes, 1963). Although dichlorvos is a potential alkylating agent of DNA and RNA in vitro, this potential is apparently not realized in vivo owing to the rapid degradation in mammals. Investigations for possible carcinogenic effects of dichlorvos have shown no increased incidence of tumours in experimental animals (Blair et al, 1976); this and other studies support the view that any potential for producing cancer in humans by dichlorvos would be extremely low (Anon, 1977; FAD/WHO, 1977). Studies for teratogenic effects have shown no serious changes in the progeny from treated animals (Schwetz et al, 1979; Wrathall et al, 1980).

 

On the other hand, insect cholinesterase inhibited by dichlorvos is not readily reactivated, and in consequence intoxication is irreversible (O'Brien, 1960). This reaction is typical of the dimethyl phosphate insecticides.

 

EFFECT ON PLANT LIFE

 

Dichlorvos in the concentrations used for control of glasshouse pests is not generally phytotoxic. Pass and Thurston (1964) listed 42 plants, including 20 flowering plants, which were not injured by exposure for 15 hours at 20°C to dichlorvos vapours generated at the rate of 1.5 fluid ounces (U.S.) of 90 percent concentrate per 10 000 cubic feet (eriaivalent to 204 mg/m³ of dichlorvos vapour which in full concentration, would be above the saturation point of 131 mg/m³ at this temperature). The only adverse effect noted was a slight discoloration or fading of chrysanthemum blooms. Glancey and Naegele (umpubIished data, 1965) also reported that dichlorvos was safe to use for the insecticidal fumigation of glasshouse plants, except that one variety of chrysanthemum (Shasta) showed severe leaf burning. However, Harnlen and Henley (1979) were unable to obtain satisfactory control of green peach aphid and twospotted spider mite on a number of indoor ornamental plants in continuous room fumigation tests. They found that a multiple fumigation treatment at seven-day intervals with dichlorvos impregnated polyvinyl chloride resin strips in polyethylene hags was more effective, but some injury to the plants did occur.

 

RESIDUES IN FOODSTUFFS

 

The amount of dichlorvos absorbed can vary considerably with different food materials. In measurements of residues absorbed in prepared meals during disinfestation of aircraft it was noted that margarine contained three times as much as the cooked meal and the beverages approximately one tenth as much (Dale et al, 1973).

 

Table 13 summarizes some information on the persistence of dichlorvos in certain foodstuffs exposed to the insecticide when discharged as a vapour. Dichlorvos breaks down rapidly after application, so the residues decline to very low levels during storage and shipment. The higher the temperature and moisture content of the material or its environment, the more rapid is the breakdown. In studies on the use of dichlorvos in mills at temperatures ranging from 18 to 22°C, dichlorvos residues degraded within a period of 2 4 weeks, depending on the kind of product treated (Wirthgen and Raffke, 1979).

 

It may be concluded that, when dichlorvos vapour is applied to closed spaces containing foodstuffs, rapid hydrolysis leads to the disappearance of significant residues of this chemical in a very short time.

 

The toxicological evaluation of dichlorvos is that 10 mg/kg in the diet, equivalent to 0.5 mg/kg of body weight per day, is the level that will cause no toxicological effect; the estimated acceptable daily intake for man is 0 to 0.004 mg/kg of body weight (FAD/WHO, 1978b).

 

http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5042e/x5042E0f.htm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...