Online/offsite Backup Of Dvr Cameras

Hey all,

I'm looking for advice on security cameras. I'm planning on buying a 4 camera DVR kit from tigerdirect soon. Almost all of them offer online monitoring, which is great. However, I'm looking for a way to actually store the video off site. I mean, security cams are great, but if rippers/LEO can just make off with your DVR box and take all then evidence with them, what good are they. Also, I'd like something that does this automatically. I've heard of services that backup your computer drives, but do these services also support feeds directly from DVRs (or do you have to something connected to a full computer?)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Harbor freight systems are very similar to the ones on tigerdirect. They work good and you can VIEW them over the web. Problem is, if there is ever an incident with LEO or rippers and they take the box that runs the camera system and holds the hard drive, you have no video evidence, making them kind of useless. I've heard stories of these kinds of DVR systems mysteriously being erased while being held in evidence rooms.

Check out dropcam.com or eyecast (www.ocpinc.net). Dedicated dvr cloud backup service, reasonably priced.

Or stream to a remote pc & capture the stream there.

Or if your dvr software allows, just do remote backup of capture logs (e.g., using crashplan.com). (Best if there are smaller log files that are closed more frequently.)

z

• 3 weeks later...

The ones I looked at have a base station, you can hide this base station pretty well due to its wireless nature. The thieves would only find the wireless cameras. On the base station, it can record to a SD Card - like a mini floppy disk. This way you don't have to worry about someone accessing your video outside the home. (most wireless cameras are encrypted to the base station.)

DN

FYI, recently my installer from Guardian Alarm informed me that LEO used the online monitoring on security cams to watch one of the dispensaries they busted last year down in Detroit somewhere. I wouldnt have anything in view of the camera you dont want big brother to see or hear if you have you have audio capabilites...

Anything I say here is of course from paranoia of long late hours playing with myself in the dark. During them lonely hrs alone in the dark, I always feared LEO would come storming in, and catch me with my pants down, and hands full. Not sure why but ................

This said, they are very capable of breaking or shall we say hacking networks? Yes encrypted info is best. I would imagine if I were growing, I would consider several options, and this would be that scenario.. Though remember, I am in the dark with my hands full doing other things LEO.

I would run a wireless cam, set on a network connection with the crappiest desktop I could find but biggest drive I could afford. Video audio is not a problem for even the oldest of computers to record. Cameras on the other hand are not. Select one in black and white, It gives the purest ability for the human eye to notice subtle differences the fastest, and usually the clearest picture. Now the image,(and audio if chosen) can be relayed thru various chat programs and such eg. g-bridge yahoo, you name it. Hell facebook if you want it posted world wide. Software exists to record those images (LEO don't ask me how I know, but i have a few videos sent back to me daily from various girls I know, saying that I need to sleep under the covers, not above due to hurting their poor eyes), this relay of sorts I would send to the most sacred and trusted person I know, the furthest away from me the better. This person can be here in michigan several hours away, or a state away. Remember where ever you decide to send it must be ready to produce this evidence. I highly suggest someone not minding a collect call at anytime either. Be sure to record something on how I hope the camera operator likes this picture, just to mess with em if you want ((joking)) Then when records were needed, there is no way in hell they could be misplaced, erased or what have you. I mean I work hard sleeping nude above them covers remember?

Anyways I hope I gave a few chuckles, and more importantly something to think about.

As said this was all posted in humor, though if any female here is insulted I apologize. LEo feel free call me at 1-800-I dontcare. Guys if you feel left out, well umm, tooo bad.

I do believe dropcam, or maybe eyecast offers OFF SHORE storage. Much more important your info is not only encrypted, but stored in another country, preferably one that doesn't have a great working relationship with the DEA.

Sure they can get it, EVENTUALLY, and after spending TONS of money and man hours to get it.

Then again, the NSA is tapped in at every node in the world so nothing is really off limits.

• 1 month later...

I have an Aposonic DVR (http://www.amperordirect.com/pc/c-security-dvr/security-aposonic_A-S0802R22.html) with regular old-school security cameras connected to it. The DVR box was about $300 -- not the cheapest but definitely not the nicest either. When an alarm is triggered the system can automatically upload video by FTP to the site of your choosing. In my case, I set up an FTP server overseas, outside the jurisdiction of the local, county, and state police. Alarms are triggered either by built-in motion detection or external alarms.

LansingAreaCaregiver,

The best system is redundant - meaning multiple backups off site. You know this or you would not be asking. I have a pretty sophisticated system with multiple cameras, and several pinholes that are well concealed (e.g. no one will find them).

It is all uploaded in realtime to Amazon S3 additionally to servers in Europe, so even if one goes down, another is backed up, in real time, as it happens.

For handheld system, QIK.COM is the best but again you must make it redundant and photobucket is another way to do this.

It is also best to have an integrated system of wired, wireless, and pinhole cameras as no doubt if the worst happens they will destroy the cameras as they see them -- this is why pinholes are good as you cannot see them -- but you do not want them used against you so make sure they are will protected, encrypted and strong password protected and redundant backups in real time -- as I assume the objective is not only security but proof if it is ever needed. These types of sophisticated systems are not easy to build but are getting cheaper every day but do your research first before spending anything as several of my friends bought camera only to find they were incompatible so here is a little advise -- you want IP cameras, which run about $150 each for bottom line but enough quality to be useful, same with pinholes.

The Hard drives should be an 3-5 drive array. NAT is good. It also need to be both wired and wireless to a fast enough net connection (with backup IP Mobiles) in case they cut your cable/ phone lines (which they do first thing but you can harden them around your house). Most people's cable lines are just sitting there ready to be cut as soon as they approach so in-case them in thick PVC sched 80, until they are on top of your roof or farther. Of course you cannot go so nuts it stands out so using dummy lines is a good idea (so when they cut the one that is just sitting there, they cut a dead line that is a dummy).

Finally two connections to the net, wired is primary as it is cheapest and fastest. The backup can be a mobile phone or wireless dongle on a (separate) computer. This should be going to the mobile network so you have both wired (primary) and wireless leaving your camera feeds. I can also lookin with my smartphone to check on everything.

Finally as noted at the start -- you need multiple cloud storage services which can be encrypted en route, and storage (as you never want someone else to be able to access it without YOUR permission). Also you do not want them out front watching YOUR cameras by hacking your feeds. Then the final thing is a backup cloud that copies all video packets and sends them to another storage cloud, preferably (for me) in Europe (it is good if you have some relatives/friends there).

All and all this can provide you some security and also catch some thieving rouge people who kick in doors with video proof you were completely in compliance as video (generally) does not lie and lastly it needs to be date stamped and secure so it cannot be changed from watching 12 plants to 24 by simple manipulation of the video packets to double them (it can be done). Finally, the username and passwords have to be strong, using letters, numbers and characters (*%&{:content:}amp;^$@#) is best and rotate them monthly or so, just to make sure -- the final thing should be good logs so you know if anyone has hacked it and made copies.

This type of system can save your donkey. It is sophisticated, redundant and well thought out -- but it does cost to set up and maintain -- but I would rather prepare than not and KNOW my butt is covered in case someone wants to lie.

I would make sure you post your inside area with warnings your being recorded to make sure your not going to have an issue that they did not know -- and for gosh sake cutting corners and then having it used against you is the most unwise thing I can think of so instead of saving your donkey, it hangs you -- so I can erase everything with a IP call over SIP. I have a company that does this, but as we do not skimp on quality (something you cannot use if the quality of audio or video is bad) it is not cheap as your going to spend a few grand just to get it bought, installed and working -- then the on-going costs are a hundred or so a quarter but this piece of mind, checking on everything by smartphone, is priceless in my opinion.

M10

Hey all,

I'm looking for advice on security cameras. I'm planning on buying a 4 camera DVR kit from tigerdirect soon. Almost all of them offer online monitoring, which is great. However, I'm looking for a way to actually store the video off site. I mean, security cams are great, but if rippers/LEO can just make off with your DVR box and take all then evidence with them, what good are they. Also, I'd like something that does this automatically. I've heard of services that backup your computer drives, but do these services also support feeds directly from DVRs (or do you have to something connected to a full computer?)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

You gotta respect those that have the best backed-up access to thee most pertinent knowledge. I believe it's most folks tendency to not want to explore worst case scenarios. The above reply from Murph reminds us all just how good of an insurance (security) program we've enacted. How many layers... And contingency protocols.

Archived