Ph Pen Recommendations

I'm looking for suggestions for a new, low cost pH pen. I am an organic soil grower, so I check pH very infrequently, maybe 2-3 times a month. Because of this, I do not need to blow the money on a $200 high-end pH/TDS combo meter. What I do want is one that will last! I've gone through two different Hanna meters in the last 18 months, and both broke (first under warranty, second out of warranty). Before you suggest user error, it wasn't. The first one's electronics broke (and my hydro shop stopped carrying it since over 80% of this model had been returned), the second one had the bulb come loose from the internal guts of the meter. I'm looking to spend $75 or less, maybe $100 if it is rock solid and has a longer warranty to back it up.

I'm looking for suggestions for a new, low cost pH pen. I am an organic soil grower, so I check pH very infrequently, maybe 2-3 times a month. Because of this, I do not need to blow the money on a $200 high-end pH/TDS combo meter. What I do want is one that will last! I've gone through two different Hanna meters in the last 18 months, and both broke (first under warranty, second out of warranty). Before you suggest user error, it wasn't. The first one's electronics broke (and my hydro shop stopped carrying it since over 80% of this model had been returned), the second one had the bulb come loose from the internal guts of the meter. I'm looking to spend $75 or less, maybe $100 if it is rock solid and has a longer warranty to back it up.

The shop I frequent recs Blue Lab, but I don't need as my old Hanna keeps ticking. Haven't heard this before on Hanna; must be recent, in by-gones Hanna's were the OLD relibles. Sorry to hear it.

I know its a pain and doesn't cover tds but I just use the drops and litmus paper test for ph . You can flood out your overflow in soil there are explanations of how too around the net . There is a pen out of china that sells for about $40 on ebay a copy of one of the more popular pens . I am not sure if it works but you may want to look over reveiws or someone here may comment . I think this is of interest to most new low budget patient gardeners only growing for themselves . This is a wonderful hobby for patients , true physical therapy and if you add in organic farming on the side light or garden windows even more so .

Search under Bluelab truncheon to find the copy the orginal sells from 90-200dollars and sometimes spending the money can be worth it . Be careful for some reason warranties are often not accepted from ebay purchases . Amazon is usually accepted . I like to buy local but when your disabled and cant move around easy plus need every dollar sometimes it is just not prudent .

If your not familar with indoor organic hydroponics go to youtube and look at what is available doing some searches like bubble buckets . 10 years ago I saw info for 4 h hydroponics on the net , instructions and how to grow indoor tomato's , herbs , lettuce m cucumbers . Something everyone in the family can enjoy and a good distraction from our medical malady's while we also grow our own comfort and medicine .

I've had the cheap pens off from ebay. They work ok for a temporary solution, but my experience was that they tend to lose their reliability pretty quickly even when properly used, stored and maintained. Right now, I've got a 6-in-1meter I purchased off ebay for around $100, and so far I love it. It measures pH, EC and water temp. Not a soil grower here, so can't speak specifically to that. I ALWAYS keep litmus paper on hand to double check, though. All electric meters are susceptible to failure and they'll lie to you before they tell you the truth! For someone only checking a couple of times a month, would a simple roll of litmus paper work?

Beans, that Blue Lab is $150, and MIMEDGROW's is $115, both of which are over the $75-100 price range the OP was looking for (and it's a Hanna, which I doubt he's interested in after going 0-2 with that brand).

Hmmmmmmm?onguard.gif

I was a contractor 30 yrs and never overpaid or scrimped on tools

They are the key to quality

Archived