Supporters Should Not Rush To Put Marijuana Legalization On Ballot

Little more than three years ago, this newspaper’s editorial board supported the ballot proposal that allowed sick Michigan residents to obtain marijuana. It was clear the initiative was too vague, but we — and a large majority of voters — thought the principle outweighed concerns over the details. It easily passed.

Now, the politics of medical marijuana has overwhelmed any real effort to clear up confusion in the 2008 law. It might just get worse if supporters of a new initiative get their cause on this fall’s ballot.

http://www.mlive.com/opinion/jackson/index.ssf/2012/01/editorial_keep_pot_off_ballot.html

More of the we need to fix what we have since we don't like the way it came out with the voters

Lets review our law.

We were Doing ok we thought, Then came Bill.

Next come the henchman.

Obama won't hurt us I voted for him! Next please.

Now for registering for a state law to help me:

no guns, no driving. No voting next?

Groups are illegal for meeting in a library.

Warrentless search and seizure approved by my AG. I do not think it will ever be in law.

State AG happy to enforce federal gun opinion on the state.

the AG office gets 7.4 mil raise this year. This is the clarification!

Thats what silence got me. NO MORE.

Lets review our law.

We were Doing ok we thought, Then came Bill.

Next come the henchman.

Obama won't hurt us I voted for him! Next please.

Now for registering for a state law to help me:

no guns, no driving. No voting next?

Groups are illegal for meeting in a library.

Warrentless search and seizure approved by my AG. I do not think it will ever be in law.

State AG happy to enforce federal gun opinion on the state.

the AG office gets 7.4 mil raise this year. This is the clarification!

Thats what silence got me. NO MORE.

I agree i tell people this all the time and some people say stay Quit you are scaring people

i say we are faceing 14 years with out a fair trial

It should be an intresting meeting.

Hope you hear about it.

This is the first public speaking event for me.

I went to the VA Stand down in Gaylord on 9/11 this year.

The WWII vets were brought out mostly from nursing and hospice.

I have family in hospice management, Thats how I heard.

Stabenow/Moolinear were to speak.I went to speak with them about PTSD

with our returning vets. I am a noncombat vet. She was not there and he left without speaking

one on one to anyone. He does have 2 kids in Army he gets a small pass.

The color guard for the missing with all the bikers were there holding the varius flags.

There were several young women there alone, Thats when it hit me as to who they were.

Our officials could have cared less who they are or that their family was in peril.

The community of Gaylord is having this as a annual event.

The treatment from the other vets made me feel like we are all still family.

Stabenow has done good for N.Mi. we have several clinics for vets due to her.

There are a few good replies tied to that article . I am tired of having to live in fear under a law that makes people criminals and thrives on their exploitation . I voted for a medicinal law that was written open ended to protect individuals in any case where medical use was justified period . Since the 37% against medical cannabis are showing no shame in abusing patients to the point to where we have had deaths result as well as terrible suffering with loss of medical routines legalization seems to be the only way to limit the harm to society and ensure patients are protected . The truth is use will not change meaningfully we will just see the end to a majority of the exploitation and criminal activity while recapturing productivity now lost to the underground economy .

Then also maybe the Doctors will focus on problems instead of using medicinal cannabis as a excuse for medication problems that already existed . Were in our infancy in terms of using chemistry to treat injury and disease . Patients need more support and help not tough love most of us are very nice people just confused and suffering out of options .

There are a few good reply's . I am tired of having to live in fear under a law that makes people criminals and thrives on their exploitation . I voted for a medicinal law that was written open ended to protect individuals in any case where medical use was justified period . Since the 37% against medical cannabis are showing no shame in abusing patients to the point to where we have had deaths result as well as terrible suffering with loss of medical routines legalization seems to be the only way to limit the harm to society and ensure patients are protected . .

I couldnt agree more,but we the ppl better pedal the petitions and do our leg work,because not only does Lansing not want this legal,big pharma,LEO and the criminals are going to be working just as hard if not harder. Cali of all places couldnt get it passed last year,because every drug dealer,cop,and politician voted against it. VOTE

I would vote YES to full legalization.

We tried teh Amicable and Honest way of passing it for Medical use BS and the State want to push it on the Medical End. Let see how well they do with Full Legalization.

Had the State LIVED UP to its end of our Law, a Full Legalization Drive would be a decade out or more. Not now. i the last Year with BS and Slick Rick not giving two defecates, they have only left us 2 options. one is full legalization, the other:

Walk in the Shoes of George Washington and those brave souls with him at Valley Forge.

I'm headed to Lansing tomorrow for the Repeal Today meeting. I support the effort and will do what I can to get full legalization on the ballot. Where this article goes wrong is trying to convince me the legislature will work in good faith to close the loopholes the cannabis obstructionist are using to arrest patients. If only we would lobby them they will listen. BS. They are looking for more excuses to arrest patients not less. I also reject the concept that we are "not mature enough" to have this debate. The cannabis obstructionist are not intellectually honest enough but surly with the hard times this state has seen we are mature beyond our years. I support Repeal Today and will be helping the best I can.

I would love to see it be legalized, but if we were to lose, then any Marijuana use at all would be called into question. I think the smartest course of action, is to elect a new government that pro marijuana in the 2012 to make sure we are able to elect all our candidates before we proceed with any attempt to fully legalize. The Sick have too much at stake to gamble like that.

jay420

I would love to see it be legalized, but if we were to lose, then any Marijuana use at all would be called into question. I think the smartest course of action, is to elect a new government that pro marijuana in the 2012 to make sure we are able to elect all our candidates before we proceed with any attempt to fully legalize. The Sick have too much at stake to gamble like that.

jay420

2 seperate bills, two seperate laws, two seperate groups of people, both can live with the other, and both will tinkle off the government to no End.

IM ALL FOR IT.

the passing of FULL Legaliation will not preempt or make useless, the '08 MMM Act. It would only strengthen it.

How easy would a Dispensary Bill pass once it is fully legalized.

Maybe you have not heard but Mich has 1 billion dollars just hanging around it was on the news

I'm sure they do, and they won't have any problem using that money to fight any attempt at full legalization. The way the legalization proposal is written it won't take much to convey to the public tho "horror" that this law will bring to the state. I'm all for legalization, but they won't honor the law we have now. I wish more thought was put into the legalization proposal so as not to give them unlimited ammunition to fight us. If enough signatures cannot be collected to recall a tyrannical criminal, how are we to expect enough effort to counter a full blown effort on the part of our opponents to put fear into the voters? We need to use our resources to vote out the legislators that are currently hacking our law to pieces. I wish the legalization effort well, and will do what I personally can to help, but this will greatly discourage any attempts at legalization in the future. You may not like this post, but if you examine the facts, it is the reality of the situation.

They are going to take most of out law away in February anyway. How many bills are they going to push threw? what will we have left of out law ? just some questions, People run around here think that nothing is going to happen, I do not know. but i do not trust them

They are not trustworthy, and they are not trying to "fix" the law they are trying to invalidate it to the point where things are no different than before the law passed.

Maybe enough people will get mad enough that the legalization effort will pass in spite

of the odds we are up against.

They are going to take most of out law away in February anyway. How many bills are they going to push threw? what will we have left of out law ? just some questions, People run around here think that nothing is going to happen, I do not know. but i do not trust them

True and i do agree

it's part of problem some people think they are safe and following the Law until they too get busted thats when they find out how unjust the courts are

in oakland county anyways

I couldnt agree more,but we the ppl better pedal the petitions and do our leg work,because not only does Lansing not want this legal,big pharma,LEO and the criminals are going to be working just as hard if not harder. Cali of all places couldnt get it passed last year,because every drug dealer,cop,and politician voted against it. VOTE

California couldn't pass it because the law they proposed would have allowed huge commerical grows so that it could be taxed and distributed like alcohol which would of cut out all the medical growers so they lost the support of the MMJ community totaly. I don't think we will have that problem here because the MMJ community knows that this is the only way the government will be totaly hands off in this state, also the proposal is for no commercial grows and no taxes from it. Get the young voters out of the closet and this passes by more than 63%!!!!

i wonder what the article writer thinks we should be in line to rush toward? Jail? Wasted Taxpayer Dollars? More illegal subversion and perversion of the Laws that rule the People of this great state? Or perhaps we should be in a rush to set down, shut up, and continue to let thsee with more money reap the rewards of our broken backs?

Archived