Why Marijuana Will Never Be Legal

bobandtorey

Your recent editorial on medical marijuana was yet another attempt to frame the legalization debate in terms of public safety, which is nothing more than a convenient smoke screen ("Go slow on marijuana," Jan. 3).

If our leaders cared one wit about public safety as it concerns drugs, most of the prescription medicines advertised directly to consumers would be taken off the shelves.

Marijuana has been studied to death already, not for its medical benefits but for its potential harm. And the sole reason for that is so the authorities can find a medical reason for its continued ille

• <LI class=relatedTitle>
Topics <LI class=useBullet>Drugs and Medicines <LI class=useBullet>Safety of Citizens <LI class=useBullet>Government See more topics »

Given all the time and money and resources that already have been spent on this project, if they haven't yet proven that marijuana is dangerous they probably never will. Instead, the arguments against pot will continue to be anecdotal at best.

Follow @BaltSunLetters for the latest reader letters to The Sun

When one considers the individual and social costs of alcohol abuse, and the dangerous side-effects of most medicines on the market, the prejudice against marijuana can be seen for what it really is: a remnant of the establishment's battle against the counter-culture of the 1960s and '70s.

Nothing is more symbolic of that era than the marijuana leaf and the peace sign — both of which are still abhorrent to the ruling classes because of what they initially stood for: Peace and brotherhood.

There is little money to be made from that. America still prefers to make its money the old fashioned way, by fighting wars.

Charles E. Hilton

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/readersrespond/bs-ed-marijuana-20120106,0,6212274.story

I agree with you Bob. The general public still believes the rhetoric that has been shoveled into their minds by the "establishment" and until there is a scientific test to determine the level of THC needed to cause impairment, the establishment will not allow people to operate machinery while under the influence of one iota of cannabis. Legalization is a dream. The best that can be hoped for is reduced penalties.

I agree with you Bob. The general public still believes the rhetoric that has been shoveled into their minds by the "establishment" and until there is a scientific test to determine the level of THC needed to cause impairment, the establishment will not allow people to operate machinery while under the influence of one iota of cannabis. Legalization is a dream. The best that can be hoped for is reduced penalties.

thats right we all hope for some day but thats all it is Hope if we don't get back on track and fight for what we do have it too will be gone it is already gone for us

we will never get a renewal it wont help you in court so why get it

I believe that eventually the gov't and the dea will give in. What choice do they have? BUT...we must continue to push the issue. And we need to make it legit. By legit I mean professional. Professional is not Cheech and Chong, it's a patient with cancer. Patients need to step up. If you put the word MEDICAL in front of marijuana, it can work. We need to move that way....or lose what we have already gained. The cliche's don't help. As much as a lot of you don't want to hear it...

Hope all is well Bob! :)

63% of the Michigan voters voted for our current Law for Medical Marijuana. More and more States will allow Medical Marijuana. 16 already, think.

At some point in the future, it will be legal for everyone over 21, it will be taxed, and controlled like alcohol.

Once they see they have lost control of prohibition, they will step in to tax and regulate it, just like cigs and booze.

That's what Budz sees in his crystal ball.

I can recall being taught in school, a dream can do much. Just look at what the dream of Freedom and Liberty did 200 yrs ago.

It may be a Dream, but THESE types of dreams CAN come true!.

If you stop saying I Can't, and start saying WE CAN!

I believe that eventually the gov't and the dea will give in. What choice do they have? BUT...we must continue to push the issue. And we need to make it legit. By legit I mean professional. Professional is not Cheech and Chong, it's a patient with cancer. Patients need to step up. If you put the word MEDICAL in front of marijuana, it can work. We need to move that way....or lose what we have already gained. The cliche's don't help. As much as a lot of you don't want to hear it...

Hope all is well Bob! :)

Thanks

but all is not well we can't get a fair trial and can not use the MMMA

It will be legalized someday...

Once enough ballot initiatives are passed in a few states completely legalizing cannabis... which WILL happen, public opinion is moving fast... it will become impossible to control anything anymore, and prohibition will be repealed. Same thing led to the repeal of alcohol prohibition.

Prayer without action achieves nothing.

"Faith without works is dead."

I think of that passage as "faith that doesn't produce results is useless."

The word has been degraded over the years. "Faith" now represents closely held values. A set of morals.

In the Greek, the word translated "faith" is a verb.

You can say "I am running" with no problem.

What about "I am faithing?" What is the action that elevates this to a verb?

In 2007 most people were saying "never in my lifetime" about mmj.

When the petition started to be circulated, that was said less and less.

Most elected people and officials believed this also. The law passing caught many officials off guard. They didn't believe it could happen.

Archived