Puled Over In Cheboygan County

so i was coming home the other night from the UP and i got across the bridge i was pulled over ...the officer asked if i had marijuana in the car,because he said he could smell it from his car ,to which i replied yes sir he said "you know thats illegal " and i said no its not i have a card and i am in compliance with the law. he took my card and went to his car for about 10 min,then he came back...took my wife out of the car and asked her a few things then came back and said the smell was to strong for just the 5-6 grams i had ,so he went threw the car,found nothing. he came back told me to get in my car after which, he handed me my ID, and my med card,along with my box with my meds in it and said slow down and have a nice day...

should have seen the sht eating grin on my face all the way home.

so i guess the moral of the story is that these cops are not following bills guidance in regard to keeping my meds....

Always good to hear good stories about this. I have a patient who lives in rochester, I'm from oakland county so I know what the deal is with the courts but with the housing market we can't move so it is what it is, anyways he was pulled over after seeing me in downtown rochester by a rochester police officer, admitted to having meds and handed them over with his card, rochester police called oakland county and he said 3 oaklands showed up within 5 mins as well as another rochester making that 5 cars for a simple rolling a stop sign ticket. After 10 mins of deliberating the police asked him if they could search the car, he said yes because they had everything they were going to find, they went through the car for 2-3 mins, handed him his jar and his card/id and told him no ticket for the stop since he got hasseled for his meds, and he was on his way. Glad to see not every cop is up Bills donkey in regards to his ridiculous opinions

Another quick story on the general subject, I work in the service industry where we have clients with us for a few hours a time and possible multiple appointments pending on the work, we have a few police officers that are clients from Royal Oak, Troy, Bloomfield, Madison Heights, and surrounding areas. I don't hide my opinion on the matter and I'm very social so if its appropriate timing I'll bring it up with them, out of the 6 I have talked to every single one has agreed with me that trying to change a law that was voted in by the people is wrong and they don't mess with patients, and I even got 3 to admit that they agree it should be legal and they have better things to worry about. I'm all about giving everyone a fair chance and I've been finding that more and more officers don't agree with washington and the dea and they personally don't want anything to do with causing problems with medical patients

All good news for us

so i was coming home the other night from the UP and i got across the bridge i was pulled over ...the officer asked if i had marijuana in the car,because he said he could smell it from his car ,to which i replied yes sir he said "you know thats illegal " and i said no its not i have a card and i am in compliance with the law. he took my card and went to his car for about 10 min,then he came back...took my wife out of the car and asked her a few things then came back and said the smell was to strong for just the 5-6 grams i had ,so he went threw the car,found nothing. he came back told me to get in my car after which, he handed me my ID, and my med card,along with my box with my meds in it and said slow down and have a nice day...

so i guess the moral of the story is that these cops are not following bills guidance in regard to keeping my meds....

I'm glad everything worked out well but, I'm guessing the clerk at the toll booth smelled the marijuana and told the poice. They probably used the excuse that you were speeding to pull you over(everyone speeds a little over the bridge). They then used the excuse that the smell was too strong to get you to let them search your car which they had no right to do without your permission or a warrant once you showed them your card. Although you had nothing to hide you should never allow a search of your car. Thats one of your rights as an american citizen. The old expression "Use it or Lose it" comes to mind. They would like nothing better than to make you believe you have no rights at all

i was surprised that they dident do any field sobriety tests but i was visibly sober

I got pulled over in flint by state police, and had a similar experience. Except i was pulled over for loud exhaust, which was an excuse. hey smelled cannabis I showed them my card, a friend was even cocky with them, and at the end it was basically have a nice day sorry for the inconvnience. No sobriety tests or anything. I was pleasantly surprised. Sad that some can be decent, and yet others would have arrested both of us and made us prove our innocence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_dXaGu3--k

Always good to hear good stories about this. I have a patient who lives in rochester, I'm from oakland county so I know what the deal is with the courts but with the housing market we can't move so it is what it is, anyways he was pulled over after seeing me in downtown rochester by a rochester police officer, admitted to having meds and handed them over with his card, rochester police called oakland county and he said 3 oaklands showed up within 5 mins as well as another rochester making that 5 cars for a simple rolling a stop sign ticket. After 10 mins of deliberating the police asked him if they could search the car, he said yes because they had everything they were going to find, they went through the car for 2-3 mins, handed him his jar and his card/id and told him no ticket for the stop since he got hasseled for his meds, and he was on his way. Glad to see not every cop is up Bills donkey in regards to his ridiculous opinions

Another quick story on the general subject, I work in the service industry where we have clients with us for a few hours a time and possible multiple appointments pending on the work, we have a few police officers that are clients from Royal Oak, Troy, Bloomfield, Madison Heights, and surrounding areas. I don't hide my opinion on the matter and I'm very social so if its appropriate timing I'll bring it up with them, out of the 6 I have talked to every single one has agreed with me that trying to change a law that was voted in by the people is wrong and they don't mess with patients, and I even got 3 to admit that they agree it should be legal and they have better things to worry about. I'm all about giving everyone a fair chance and I've been finding that more and more officers don't agree with washington and the dea and they personally don't want anything to do with causing problems with medical patients

All good news for us

i was surprised that they dident do any field sobriety tests but i was visibly sober

Is there any way to quantify the content of thc in blood?

I was under the impression there was not, so if carded, dui for thc would be hard to prove in court/ not inforcable.

I AM NOT A LAWER. This is only what I think currently.

My take on these situations is to hold off on the card until "last resort" and you are about to be arrested. Deny possession, refuse search, ask if you are being detained, and if not, "may I be on my way?". If asked to step out of the car lock your door behind you. IF you have a keypad leave the keys in the car.

Is there any way to quantify the content of thc in blood?

I was under the impression there was not, so if carded, dui for thc would be hard to prove in court/ not inforcable.

I AM NOT A LAWER. This is only what I think currently.

The only way to measure THC is w/ an actual blood test. Usually only done if there is a serious accident.

The smell is too strong to be 5-6 grams? What? I know for a fact 1-2 grams can make a car reek depending on conditions and strain. A warm car with a smelly strain can leave a VERY pungent odor.

And how long have you been a dog sir?

My take on these situations is to hold off on the card until "last resort" and you are about to be arrested. Deny possession, refuse search, ask if you are being detained, and if not, "may I be on my way?". If asked to step out of the car lock your door behind you. IF you have a keypad leave the keys in the car.

I agree more or less with an "as needed" approach to giving cards and allowing searches but i would not DENY POSSESSION IF ASKED during a stop especially if you are legal. It is not legal for you to lie to them and you can actually be charged with interfering with an officerS duty. Its a crock, they can lie to you all day long and thats legal but you cant lie to them. So if your legal you may as well show them your card IF ASKED. At that point they have no probable cause to search your car. Tell them politely that you are legal and they do not have your permission. Then say "Am I free to go?". Play their game, stand your ground, and dont give them any reason to claim otherwise.

I had a friend pulled over recently and she stood her ground,refused search without a warrant and refused road side teast,took the fith and ask 4 her attorney. they searched her and her vehicle,arrested her,called 4 a warrant and took her 2 the hopital 2 get blood before,taking her 2 jail. now she is looking at a 6month suspension of her drivers license,for refusing road side test. just know the consequences of asserting your rights.

To clear a few things up.

It is possible sometime in 2012 LEO will have finalized and issued a roadside THC test - either spit, swab, or even armpit swab - to do a roadside measure of THC (not metabolites which Michigan Supreme Ct said is ok, this happens anywhere from 8 to 12 hours after smoking it). Any presence of THC means you get arrested for DUID - the only requirement for DUID is the presence of the drug THC. (drunk driving - it does not matter how well you drive drunk, they only need to get a test that proves you had over a legal limit of alcohol in your system).

I do believe the Toll booth op narc'ed you. You can imagine how differently your day would have been if you kept your grams of marijuana locked in a airtight container, in the trunk. And I hope you did not burn and drive.

I am glad you got off, but you could have had your car impounded, wife harassed, you busted DUID/ or confused officer on MMMAct. The real lesson here is - don't stink and drive.

DN

It is possible sometime in 2012 LEO will have finalized and issued a roadside THC test - either spit, swab, or even armpit swab - to do a roadside measure of THC (not metabolites which Michigan Supreme Ct said is ok, this happens anywhere from 8 to 12 hours after smoking it). Any presence of THC means you get arrested for DUID - the only requirement for DUID is the presence of the drug THC. (drunk driving - it does not matter how well you drive drunk, they only need to get a test that proves you had over a legal limit of alcohol in your system).

I do believe the Toll booth op narc'ed you. You can imagine how differently your day would have been if you kept your grams of marijuana locked in a airtight container, in the trunk. And I hope you did not burn and drive.

I am glad you got off, but you could have had your car impounded, wife harassed, you busted DUID/ or confused officer on MMMAct. The real lesson here is - don't stink and drive.

DN

Yup he got lucky

DN

folks

do not drive and use cannabis.

this test that u speak of already exists. they can and might try to charge you with duid. if you are tested and show active THC..

if that's the case

get a lawyer.

you are authorized to have THC active in your system. there is no sanctioned research that shows your level of impairment to be destructive or your motor skills to be reduced in such a manner as to show driving degradation based on any specific level of THC. such as there is with alcohol. at .08 you are legally impaired and study after study show that at that level, motor nerve values degrade to the point you are dangerous behind the wheel.

that data does not exist for cannabis use.

it is not applicable

a roadside test does not infer impairment.

it only shows positive or negative for active THC

only years of sanctioned studies can show what amount of active THC will cause impairment and an inability to safely operate a motor vehicle.

good luck getting our federal government to allow that anytime soon.

if they try to single out cannabis without studies, they are absolutely violation the constitution and trying to control you without due process.

they will have to have the same set of standards for all physician recommended medications.

that does not mean they won't develop this test and shove it down our throats, but we need to stay united, and strong and make sure they understand we know the rules and are prepared to fight them

peace

and have a great day!

Archived