Puled Over In Cheboygan County

I agree more or less with an "as needed" approach to giving cards and allowing searches but i would not DENY POSSESSION IF ASKED during a stop especially if you are legal. It is not legal for you to lie to them and you can actually be charged with interfering with an officerS duty. Its a crock, they can lie to you all day long and thats legal but you cant lie to them. So if your legal you may as well show them your card IF ASKED. At that point they have no probable cause to search your car. Tell them politely that you are legal and they do not have your permission. Then say "Am I free to go?". Play their game, stand your ground, and dont give them any reason to claim otherwise.

I THINK IT WOULD BE BETTER TO ANSWER THE POSSESSION QUESTION WITH A QUESTION!

I THINK IT WOULD BE BETTER TO ANSWER THE POSSESSION QUESTION WITH A QUESTION!

Thats just what they want. Give them a reason to think your being evasive and then they will trump in up into probable cause.

In my humble opinion the trick is to be polite and proper right up to the letter of the law, and then no further. But thats my opinion. I pick the battles I know I can win. If I'm legal, in possession, and asked for my card based on them claiming to smell it in my car thats realistic and the easiest way to defuse it is to comply. Done, over, "am I free to leave now"

I had a friend pulled over recently and she stood her ground,refused search without a warrant and refused road side teast,took the fith and ask 4 her attorney. they searched her and her vehicle,arrested her,called 4 a warrant and took her 2 the hopital 2 get blood before,taking her 2 jail. now she is looking at a 6month suspension of her drivers license,for refusing road side test. just know the consequences of asserting your rights.

treetop... i kinda have to agree with you, as i too have had a run-in w msp... and what kathy has posted is exactly correct for what they will threaten to do, esp if one isn't cooperating... it's a discretion call on the officer's part, which is so very subjective.

being very, very polite & respectful, cooperating, listening to their concerns, downplaying my situation, addressing them as human beings... pretty much feel that kept me out of the above listed scenario. don't know if it was a decent cop that simply didn't want to waste his time, or if it was my being respectful, but either way, he chose to not screw with me... certainly he could have done exactly what kathy said.

it's kind-of crazy how much power & discretion the cops have to screw over people & their lives. b&t are the example of what they can do, if so inclined. to me, it seems if you catch a cop on a bad day... say he had an argument with his girl that morning... u'r going in. if he has a good day, then you might be free w/o incident. cops have a lot of discretion in what happens.

and no, he too didn't enforce scheutte's federal trump card, though certainly did point it out to me. they basically become defacto federal agents... don't know exactly how much the state troopers like that, which might be why they aren't choosing to push that law quite yet.

stay safe out there everyone.

Before the law came into effect

I had a couple traffic stops that the odor was obvious

MSP and if they wanted me well, I was had

They let me go twice and not because they were too busy

Some cops maybe even most are normal guys, doing a tough job

Respect is important-they are usually as nervous as you

Don't lie, just don't flaunt the card like you have taken away the cops options either

Archived