Ann Arbor Enforcing State Law

http://annarbor.com/news/felony-drug-charges-filed-against-downtown-ann-arbor-medical-marijuana-business-owner/

I know this is an old news article, but I just looked back at it and realized what I didn't before (assumed it was LAWNET when I heard about it)...

The Ann Arbor PD came into TJ Rice's office and stole 20 of his plants. He had a letter from his doctor. In Ann Arbor, we passed an ordinance that legalizes sale, cultivation, possession, etc. of mj if you have a doctor's letter. Officers and the city attorney are forbidden from referring cases to the county prosecutor. I guess they did turn over the case though because he's facing felony charges now under state law...

What the hell, Barnett Jones? You know the entire city opposes this. The Ann Arbor News ran a poll recently and found that 88% of Ann Arborites support full legalization.

Funny how it works....

If you pass a city ordinance that decriminalizes or legalizes, the cops ignore it and/or the courts strike it down, they declare it "unenforceable."

If you pass a city ordinance that adds addition penalties, even if the state law forbids doing so, the courts let it stand and the ordinance is enforced.

If you live in Ann Arbor, better not count on your doctor's letter sufficing. They will bust you and throw you in prison, and democracy can go to h3ll for all they care.

:thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

Our State drug laws founded in discrimination , frustration , and anger as espoused by theories of zero tolerance and tough love have been hurting individuals through unintended consequences like creating incentives for acquisition through organized gangs and cartels due to felony penalties for personal cultivation of any amounts .

It was a no brainer that someone whose life had already been nearly destroyed by Prohibition would try to regain some control and independence by taking on the risk to supply patients under Ann Arbors Ordinance. What else could they do ?

It is sad a cancer patient already forced into the streets from prosecution may find themselves there again at a great expense to State Government and thus State taxpayers . They took everything he had how many times already ? Upon conviction his Medicare is revoked and thus the State will be responsible for medical expenses or he will not receive proper medical care period . Most never are able to put everything back intact before release . Another unintended consequence of our cannabis laws the death penalty by loss of medical care while incarcerated . It is just amazing people can be so cruel and uncaring . So detached from what is actually occurring under laws argued to be for individual protection and benefit .

I am embarrassed to live in a State with officials whom still argue that cannabis has no medical benefit and thus stop research and continue to incarcerate and injure patients whom desperately require the comfort cannabis provides . Not to mention other anecdotal and empirical evidence of benefit . The cancer project comes to mind .

I too admire his courage for trying to help get access for people here in Ann Arbor.

It is an outrage that Barnett Jones ignored local democracy (74% voted for mmj) by blowing off the local ordinance that was passed by a landslide and turning the case over to the state authorities. How can we get this guy fired?

I too admire his courage for trying to help get access for people here in Ann Arbor.

It is an outrage that Barnett Jones ignored local democracy (74% voted for mmj) by blowing off the local ordinance that was passed by a landslide and turning the case over to the state authorities. How can we get this guy fired?

this case is over i was at his court day

it's sad that people are getting screwed

people need to show up at the courts thats the only way it can help Lansing ant doing sh*t for us

because people are not supporting others that are inn court

I would be interested in what happened to him too . People tell me the courts are full of individuals we just never hear of . This isn't the way to promote healing and a positive implementation of a health program designed to protect patients and reintegrate cannabis back into society despite out of control pressures that have developed to profit from prohibition ? Everyone honest knows the State Voter initiated Act and Ann Arbor Ordinance were created to stop the arrest , prosecution and convictions of people whom could derive possible medical benefit from marihuana use . To instill compassion that has been lost through regulation and law effecting access to medicine by citizens .

http://annarbor.com/...t-battling-law/

Patients want to correct the situation and support each other helping society correct this wrong and injustice but by the time you " know " , then educate yourself you find yourself and your abilities diminishing from severe chronic or terminal injury and disease . Survival takes all your effort and you flail at politics and facilitating change . Eventually or piece meal efforts of each person writing or doing what they can will pay off . It is so apparent what is going on is cruel , wrong and merely benefiting oppressors who promote it .

What did happen to Mr Rice ? Wouldn't we all have been better off if he just was left alone to grow his cannabis and still sold insurance ? Really and what about the milllions of other patients whom have no other comfort or relief - sometimes even a diagnosis to support their real mental or physical suffering . Is it fair to deny thus torture them too ? Why are we supporting laws against a plant used in medicine for over 6000 years of recorded history by some of the most advanced civilzations on the planet . Why are we even thinking of creating legislation that will make things more complicated , restricting access and creating more pursuit by those whom profit by making arrests against patients ? Don't patients deserve better treatment and not to suffer because of people who game the system on both sides of prohibition for profit . Lets create law ( clear working legal medical use ) that injures them not patients . Actually lets just stop the madness of prohibition of cannabis so nobody has to be targeted for injury . If any problems surface let us treat them as a medical issue not criminal and seek solutions through love and healing . Nobody should feel they must avoid a ER or seeking medical treatment due to drug testing and punishments . Nobody should be having care changed because of a medical initiative designed to protect them . Nobody should be living in increased fear .

Archived